Youths’ talk-list in Senadin YTP includes sports, library, politics

MIRI: The youths of today have a political consciousness besides the usual leaning to sports, among indicators shown during a Youth Transformation Programme (YTP) at Petronas Sport Village here yesterday.

More than 80 youths in Senadin constituency completed the three-day two-night Youth Transformation Programme (YTP) at Petronas Sport Village here yesterday and raised some interesting suggestions to Assistant Minister of Sports Datuk Lee Kim Shin who was invited to close the camp.

Lee, who is also Senadin assemblyman, said the YTP themed ‘Kawan Ku Sayang, Keluarga Ku Kenang’ and organised by the Ministry of Social Development (KPS) also served as a youth motivational programme.

“I’m very happy to note that the youths today are aware of the current issues surrounding youth development. This is the youth transformation that we want, as future quality leaders for the state.”

Participants in camp were given the opportunity to voice out problems and suggestions to improve the existing youth development efforts in Senadin constituency.

A participant requested Lee to improve on the sport facilities for their martial art learning classes of ‘silat olahraga’.

Lee said the ministry would channel financial support to any sport on request but pointed out that such government assistance would only go through an association or club.

Thus, he advised those who have yet to join one that if they do form one, it must be registered with the Registry of Societies (ROS).

He was also willing to arrange for a course on how to manage an association properly.

“I’ve received a lot of complaints from members (of an association) that the government grant given to it has not been fully utilised by the exco for the association’s development.

“That’s why it is recommended that the exco attends a management course to ensure such issues don’t crop up again.”

Another item that caught Lee’s attention was when he agreed to look into a request to organise a politics course for youths and nodded to the request to improve well-worn facilities at Petronas Sport Village.

“The facilities in this sport village are aged, being 20 years old. I do agree that it is time for us to improve things. We will put this matter into the ministry’s next budget.”

On a call to have an additional library for Permyjaya New Township, Lee said he would forward the request to Miri City Council (MCC) as public library service is under its jurisdiction.

Also present was assistant secretary for KPS (Ministry of Social Development) Paul Kawin Pipo.

LikeTweet

Source: http://miri.my/2016/03/21/youths-talk-list-in-senadin-ytp-includes-sports-library-politics/