Why do dogs dislike some strangers more than others?

Dogs are nearly always suspicious of strangers who enter their owners homes and they greet them with a great deal of barking and sniffing. Some visitors have the ability of quickly calming them, while others seem unable to do so and may even be nipped or bitten. What is the difference between them?

The answer lies mostly in the style of the visitors body movements. Some people have naturally smooth movements, their actions possessing a generally soft and flowing quality. Others are, by nature, rather tense and jerky. They tend to make quick, hesitant movements and these are much more likely to arouse the aggression of the dogs, because they are actions of the kind found in hostile or nervous canine encounters.
If the jumpy, twitchy person also fears dogs, the situation gets worse, because they will start making jerky retreat movements and these give signals to the dogs that automatically make them advance and possibly even attack. Pulling away from a barking dog, or performing any kind of rapid withdrawal movement, makes the dog feel suddenly superior and it responds accordingly.

By contrast, the person who gets on with dogs tends to answer greeting with greeting, approaches them rather than withdraws and offers them some form of gentle hand-contact. This can convert a noisy, barking dog into a fawning tail wager in seconds and, after the greeting ceremony is over, the dog will relax and cease to intrude on the newcomers space. This only works, however, with dogs that are barking, or jumping up while tail-wagging. Do not misjudge the myth the dog that wags it tails is a friendly dog and will not bite. If instead, the dog that greets you at someones front door is stiffly rigid, growling or snarling, and giving you a fixed stare, the only course of action is to stay very still and do nothing neither advance nor retreat and hope that the dogs owner will come to your rescue. Eye contact or staring directly at the dogs eyes, smiling (showing your teeth) may also trigger his aggression.

With such animal the level of aggression is so high that it is dangerous to give off any signals at all, and complete immobility is the best way to reduce your visual impact on the animal. If you are alone and really worried about the dogs mood, then giving plaintive puppys whine or whimper might just defuse the situation by arousing the protective parental feelings of the home-defender. But there is no guarantee that this will work, because you are from an alien pack and therefore not to be trusted.

[size=75]Edited by Reno911[/size]

my Rottweiller seems to treat my Iban construction laborers like Aliens, she’ll become really aggressive when they’re around. While when she sees any Chinese tauke’s around, she’s calm. However the body movement is the deciding factor too, for those who retreat in fear, race is out of the question.

You are right, alexallied. Dogs are not racist. Not only do they aggress toward body movements some dogs actually get triggered by specific gender, appearance, ex: man with moustache or beard, men wearing hat, men wearing boots, men with fair/dark skin etc.

There are other factors too that aggress dog/■■■■■ ex: when the ■■■■■ is in heat she tend to be more defensive. Dogs can get aggresive and be protective over their territory, their food, property and even owner.

Dogs are using different signals for communication than human do.

Mostly it is in case of the reaction of this person, that decide about, the dog will like him or not. Just for example the way he walk, the outlook of his face (sometimes the lines of a face can seem more friendly to a dog, then someone others face), the way this person act (nonverbal) like moving his hands… and dogs senses for smells are lot better performed then humans, so they can smell any change, like for example a person that is scared of the dog, because he will smell the “sweat” that is produced by the human body in this moment… for us human not possible to realize.

Dogs, same like other animals are scanning us always with their senses and there are a lot ways we will never understand. Thats why a dog can recognize the “future plan” of someone just by his moves, seems like he can read the mind.

Either it is a matter of the dog owners acting and behaviour that is reflected on the dogs behaviour… like for example maybe the owner have a asymphaty against a different race or like male or female for example… the dog will feel this immediately and will act same like the thoughts of the owner, even more offensive then the owner may do.

But there are as well differnces between the breeds, that are important to know if someone is interested in dogs behaviour, cause not all breeds will act same way… like for example u cant compare a sheppard to a rottweiler. Two totally different breeds with different performances and way of acting. And often it is helpful to know the background of the dogs life to be able to score about his behaviour. :wink:

alexallied,

mayb ur labourers look intimidating.
i just watched a documentary about dog’s intelligence.
actually some breed is smaller than other…

but i prefer cat though…

I used to kick the dog few years back. I was jogging in housing area at bukit jalil and suddently the dog run out from 1 of the gate. I stop suddently because there is rule between angry dog and human. if you run, you have no chance but if you stay, they will think twice before they bite.

so, I look directly into the eyes, then the dog try to bite my tight but i didn’t move and the dog actually didn’t bite me or he miss judge the distance ( :stuck_out_tongue: ). the second time she try the same thing, I give my muay thai kick and hit the dog mouth and the dog run straight into the gate/house. after few yards leaving the area, I just notice that the dog canine stuck on my leg! at the hardest bone area. I can bet that’s the final attemp for that dog to bite someone…muahahaha.

what i’m really angry about the incident is, the owner is just watching and didnt do anything!. But, since it’s only few days before chinese new year, I didn’t lodge a police report because I dont want to ruin their big family day, but just get medical treatment from clinic nearby.

oh ya… I put a lot of &^$&^@#$@$ words to the owner too :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“wandyhee”]I used to kick the dog few years back. I was jogging in housing area at bukit jalil and suddently the dog run out from 1 of the gate. I stop suddently because there is rule between angry dog and human. if you run, you have no chance but if you stay, they will think twice before they bite.

so, I look directly into the eyes, then the dog try to bite my tight but i didn’t move and the dog actually didn’t bite me or he miss judge the distance ( :stuck_out_tongue: ). the second time she try the same thing, I give my muay thai kick and hit the dog mouth and the dog run straight into the gate/house. after few yards leaving the area, I just notice that the dog canine stuck on my leg! at the hardest bone area. I can bet that’s the final attemp for that dog to bite someone…muahahaha.

what i’m really angry about the incident is, the owner is just watching and didnt do anything!. But, since it’s only few days before chinese new year, I didn’t lodge a police report because I dont want to ruin their big family day, but just get medical treatment from clinic nearby.[/quote]

YEAH!!!..beat that mutt down

I stop suddently because there is rule between angry dog and human. if you run, you have no chance but if you stay, they will think twice before they bite.

True… :wink:

in case of look a dog strait in the eyes…

its a test of loyalty of a dog. Usually a cultivated dog avoid a strait eye contact to his opposite. But there is also a rule… if the dog keep the eye contact u have to be careful.

And yes, pity that the owner often dont care. Some are using to have a dog just for show and underrate the danger especially in case of in their eyes “cool looking dogs” like dogos, mastiffs, rottweiler or doberman. Even they have no idea how to get use with this kind of dogs.

[quote=“Iceblue”]Dogs are using different signals for communication than human do.

Mostly it is in case of the reaction of this person, that decide about, the dog will like him or not. Just for example the way he walk, the outlook of his face (sometimes the lines of a face can seem more friendly to a dog, then someone others face), the way this person act (nonverbal) like moving his hands… and dogs senses for smells are lot better performed then humans, so they can smell any change, like for example a person that is scared of the dog, because he will smell the “sweat” that is produced by the human body in this moment… for us human not possible to realize.

Dogs, same like other animals are scanning us always with their senses and there are a lot ways we will never understand. Thats why a dog can recognize the “future plan” of someone just by his moves, seems like he can read the mind.

Either it is a matter of the dog owners acting and behaviour that is reflected on the dogs behaviour… like for example maybe the owner have a asymphaty against a different race or like male or female for example… the dog will feel this immediately and will act same like the thoughts of the owner, even more offensive then the owner may do.

But there are as well differnces between the breeds, that are important to know if someone is interested in dogs behaviour, cause not all breeds will act same way… like for example u cant compare a sheppard to a rottweiler. Two totally different breeds with different performances and way of acting. And often it is helpful to know the background of the dogs life to be able to score about his behaviour. :wink:[/quote]

Iceblue, are you saying that different breeds has different kinds of agression?

i think a pit bull and a Shitzu have different types of aggression

Dog as animal and species (canin familiaris) overall shows aggression and there are no differences from one breed to another.Chihuahua can do as much damage as a 200 lbs mastiff. However, some may experience different scenarios when they aggressed and this can be categorized as some examples below :-

1. Fear Aggression - This form of aggression is known to be reacted in dog who feels that he is in danger. Fear aggressive dogs are not always aggressive towards all people or dogs. Some dogs will only turn aggressive to a man with beard, wearing cap, and etc. More often then not, this form of aggressiveness will trigger as the dog may have previous bad experience and if he does not react when face with the same situation he believes that he might get hurt again. So, in order to defend himself he will either react (flight) or respond (bite) to the threat.

2. Prey Aggression - Prey means victim or kill. In dog behavior context, prey means instinct to chase and catch and kill its victim as it’s a natural form of survival instinct in dog. Drive means motivation. When we mentioned a dog has a high prey drive it means that the dog is highly motivated by moving object /animals and will be triggered by this action easily. It is an inherit instinct which you commonly see the reactions when a cat pass by your house.

3. Defense Aggression - this drive is normally triggered by threat. Unlike prey driven aggression, the dog with high defense drive will not be stimulated by movements. Normally dog with high defense drive will feel challenge just by making eye contact. When a dog feels threaten he will be under a stressful condition and in order to counter the stress he will have to counter react the threat. Every dogs has different level of tolerance (defense threshold) when feel threaten. In wandywee case the dog may have high level of defense threshold that scaring, shouting or kicking the dog will not put the dog to flight but instead in fight mode.When a dog is territorial over its area, food, owner, or own pack he may turn to his defensive mode to claim his space and ownership.

Yes they have, cause breeds was build to fulfil different stages of behaviour, partialy to force or benefit few instincts for being helpful for humans for example hunting, domestic helper, guarding dogs…

This is why breeds have different kind of aggressions. And a different level of tolerance. Even small dog breeds, like terrier or pincher have a less tolerance then big dog breeds like grate dane or mastiffs, and usually the tendency to get raged or to bite is quite higher than for some large size breeds. But of course always depend on the owners care. As example to compare a german sheppard with a great dane… it is very simple to make a untrained sheppard bark and bite, cause his nature is mostly nervous, same like Doberman for example. To rage a great dane will take a bit more action and Im sure if he dont feel really in danger he will turn around and leave u alone or will be watching u like… “hell watcha doing??”

Shitzu can be a good guardian dog as well even he is not prefered for being one because of the size, but dont underrate him :wink: he will sure bark and can reach ur leg as well, and the pitbull have a much higher tolerance… but… if he decide to become aggressive… can hurt pretty well and he will stick on u like glue, so u better beware. :smiley: Breeds like Beagles, Basset Hounds, Labradors… are not really the types for guarding and not really useful as alarm system… should be possible but need to train them. Breeds like Doberman, Rottweiler, Sheppards, Tibet Mastiff or Rhodesian Ridgebacks are better not to train for guarding, because their natural instinct is based on this and a training makes them mostly too spicy, if they are not used to be a fully trained guard dog.

There are a lot differences between the breeds, not only in case of aggression. :wink: So always depend on the target you settle for ur dog, like … being a family dog, a guard for the house, a childs friend or a sport partner…

[quote=“Iceblue”]Yes they have, cause breeds was build to fulfil different stages of behaviour, partialy to force or benefit few instincts for being helpful for humans for example hunting, domestic helper, guarding dogs…

This is why breeds have different kind of aggressions. And a different level of tolerance. Even small dog breeds, like terrier or pincher have a less tolerance then big dog breeds like grate dane or mastiffs, and usually the tendency to get raged or to bite is quite higher than for some large size breeds. But of course always depend on the owners care. As example to compare a german sheppard with a great dane… it is very simple to make a untrained sheppard bark and bite, cause his nature is mostly nervous, same like Doberman for example. To rage a great dane will take a bit more action and Im sure if he dont feel really in danger he will turn around and leave u alone or will be watching u like… “hell watcha doing??”

Shitzu can be a good guardian dog as well even he is not prefered for being one because of the size, but dont underrate him :wink: he will sure bark and can reach ur leg as well, and the pitbull have a much higher tolerance… but… if he decide to become aggressive… can hurt pretty well and he will stick on u like glue, so u better beware. :smiley: Breeds like Beagles, Basset Hounds, Labradors… are not really the types for guarding and not really useful as alarm system… should be possible but need to train them. Breeds like Doberman, Rottweiler, Sheppards, Tibet Mastiff or Rhodesian Ridgebacks are better not to train for guarding, because their natural instinct is based on this and a training makes them mostly too spicy, if they are not used to be a fully trained guard dog.

There are a lot differences between the breeds, not only in case of aggression. :wink: So always depend on the target you settle for ur dog, like … being a family dog, a guard for the house, a childs friend or a sport partner…[/quote]

Iceblue, guessed i misquoted your post. I agree that different breeds has different level of defense tolerance for ex: border collie VS Akita. I was referring to dog aggression in general in relation to their aggresive behavior and different types of aggression; not the breed in relation to their tolerance level accepting pressure.

In today’s world its quite rare to see the quality of individual breeds that there were orinigally bred for. Ex: Golden retriever does not really retrieve anymore, Labrador - afraid of water, german shepherds that are nervy. Having said that, I think its better that we look at it as an individual rather than their breed.[attachment=0]Fatal Dog Attacks, 2000-2005.ppt[/attachment]

It is important to emphasize that the breed of dog is never the sole determining factor in a fatal dog attack. A fatal attack is always the culmination of past and present events that include: inherited and learned behaviors, genetics, breeding, socialization, function of the dog, physical condition and size of dog, reproductive status of dog, individual temperament, environmental stresses, owner responsibility, victim behavior, victim size and physical condition, timing and misfortune. NCSC

Yes I agree.

Another important argue is the “owner”… cause usually no dog, regardless to the breed is naturally aggressive. So unfortunately the owner is a very important part of the behaviour of every dog.

Where u usually get dogs from in MY? Beside the petshops? Are there breeder as well? And are there all breeds available? Any restriction for some breeds? We have a restriction for fighting dogs like Pitbull, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Staffordshire, Akita Inu, Tibet mastiff and lot more… in some parts of the country u can own them but there are special exams necessary to proof they have a normal and friendly behaviour, and the checking is very strict. Same like the punishment.

There are a lot of breeds that lost interest of people because of overbreeding and bad quality of breeders. Unfortunatelly “trendy” dogs like sheppard, dalmatian or collies became victim of this issue and like for example our police quit using breeds like Doberman and german sheppard for their work. Today they use Malinois, belgium sheppards or briards for this job. And indeed I have never seen a sheppard for example with the skills and patience these dogs have.

[quote=“Iceblue”]Yes I agree.

Another important argue is the “owner”… cause usually no dog, regardless to the breed is naturally aggressive. So unfortunately the owner is a very important part of the behaviour of every dog.

Where u usually get dogs from in MY? Beside the petshops? Are there breeder as well? And are there all breeds available? Any restriction for some breeds? We have a restriction for fighting dogs like Pitbull, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Staffordshire, Akita Inu, Tibet mastiff and lot more… in some parts of the country u can own them but there are special exams necessary to proof they have a normal and friendly behaviour, and the checking is very strict. Same like the punishment. [/quote]

Iceblue,

In East Malaysia, pet dogs are normally available through pet shops, home breeders and puppy millers. For working and sports dogs we normally get dogs from USA, Czech rep., slovakia, germany, philippines and some locally bred dogs. Are you from South America?

Our banned breed are as below:-

Pit Bull Terrier or American Pit BullPit
American Staffordshire Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
American Bulldog
Napolitan Mastiff
Japanese Tosa (Tosa-Inu, Tosa Uen)
Akita Inu (Japanese Akita, Akita, Great Japanese Dog)
Dogo Argentino
Fila Braziliero

There are a lot of breeds that lost interest of people because of overbreeding and bad quality of breeders. Unfortunatelly “trendy” dogs like sheppard, dalmatian or collies became victim of this issue and like for example our police quit using breeds like Doberman and german sheppard for their work. Today they use Malinois, belgium sheppards or briards for this job. And indeed I have never seen a sheppard for example with the skills and patience these dogs have.

Our police k-9 are still using german shepherd and so far i think they only have one malinois. They normally get the dogs from UK but this year the dogs are from China. According to some feedbacks from the handlers there were’nt so please with the dogs.

Then it is nearly same like here, cause we have a lot banned dogs. Even there is still a possibility to own them by doing behaviour tests… but usually pretty expensive.

The choice of slovakian and czech republic I cant recommend, cause there care for the dogs, especially in case of training and behaviour is often lousy. US seem to be the better choice and I think the care for their pets health is better then eastern europe.

We dont need to import pets, cause we have breeder for nearly all breeds and they have strict rules, so the pets are good quality, usually good trained and in good performance. European breeders, like in france, great britain, belgium, netherlands and germany care a lot for the image of their pets and have lot fun sharing time with their dogs and cats. Even sure tu will always find black sheeps… But the government care also for it, same like petcharity institutions. So the chance to get a dog or cat in pet shop is nearly 0 %. The best choice is a trustworthy breeder or pet shelter.

The most famous breeds for working seem to be all belgium and french sheppard types, Rhodesian Ridgebacks and maybe Hovawarts.

For family use still the Retrievers and Terriers are the most beloved.

As sport partner I prefer still the Doberman, Australian Sheppard, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dalmatian or Border Collie, especially for agility… but they need a lot of care and owners time to be happy.

I think the german sheppard dont need to be a bad choice for K9, depend on his breeding history and training, and until the quality is good, why not. But I think its maybe a matter of availability of breeds like belgium sheppards, cause Im sure comparing the Malinois to sheppard is still a big difference. Our police changed a few years ago nearly their whole dog population to Malinois within a short period.

Guys,

I've read The Star newspaper few weeks back regarding the Anti-Piracy department of Malaysia recently purchased a pair of Labrador from the States just to sniff out those pirated VCDs/DVDs....and guess what ..it cost them 50K USD to get those dog in. Most surprisingly, the dogs are rescued dog from SPCA and trained up. 

Just want to involve some political issues with the dog here. What on earth the Malaysian government thinking?? Spending so much money for those dogs...

I think Reno can also trained up those GSD to sniff those DVDs… :wink:

Hehe…

think theres not much difference between a Labradors and GSD nose :smiley: 50k is nice… can train them as well… :mrgreen:

[quote=“Benjovi”]Guys,

I've read The Star newspaper few weeks back regarding the Anti-Piracy department of Malaysia recently purchased a pair of Labrador from the States just to sniff out those pirated VCDs/DVDs....and guess what ..it cost them 50K USD to get those dog in. Most surprisingly, the dogs are rescued dog from SPCA and trained up. 

Just want to involve some political issues with the dog here. What on earth the Malaysian government thinking?? Spending so much money for those dogs...

I think Reno can also trained up those GSD to sniff those DVDs… :wink:[/quote]

Oh yes ben, no dogs mean no news about dvd/vcd raids. Did you notice when the first two labs (lucky & flo) was in Malaysia; you read about the dogs busted pirated dvds/vcds almost every months and after they were sent back to the us motion pictures no more news about them. They just got another two (i think manny and penny?)

The dogs actually cant discriminate which is genuine and which is pirated. There were trained to just detect dvds/vcds/cds as there were made based on same component/ingredient. The culprit now are smarter. They shipped those burned disc separately from its posters and packaging. So the discs all looked the same = you can’t tell a cd or vcd or dvd unless you have a player and try them out.

I do train narcotics/.explosives but never a dvd/vcd but am looking into it. Its no suprise that they used SPCA dogs as most rescued dogs are not really nice as in show quality but what is more important is their drives and willingness to work.

Quote = " The dog is as beautiful as when they work"

[quote=“Iceblue”]Thanks :smiley:

Then it is nearly same like here, cause we have a lot banned dogs. Even there is still a possibility to own them by doing behaviour tests… but usually pretty expensive.[/quote]

Are they going to do temperament test when the dogs arrived. Who will be doing it, the govt vet. What are the tests like? In Malaysia banned means banned. If they found you bringing in those banned breed, they will ask you to send it back or they will PTS. What will happen if the dogs didnt make it (fail the test)?

The choice of slovakian and czech republic I cant recommend, cause there care for the dogs, especially in case of training and behaviour is often lousy. US seem to be the better choice and I think the care for their pets health is better then eastern europe.

They are hundreds of breeders in slovak & cz but i wouldn’t say they are all not good. They are good ones and vice versa. Most (more than 50%)working dogs in US are either from CZ or Slovak too. I think it depends on who you deal with and how you choose the breeders, pups, dogs and for what purpose.

We dont need to import pets, cause we have breeder for nearly all breeds and they have strict rules, so the pets are good quality, usually good trained and in good performance. European breeders, like in france, great britain, belgium, netherlands and germany care a lot for the image of their pets and have lot fun sharing time with their dogs and cats. Even sure tu will always find black sheeps… But the government care also for it, same like petcharity institutions. So the chance to get a dog or cat in pet shop is nearly 0 %. The best choice is a trustworthy breeder or pet shelter.

The most famous breeds for working seem to be all belgium and french sheppard types, Rhodesian Ridgebacks and maybe Hovawarts.

Are you referring to beauceron (french shepherd)? My friend had one before. nice looking and high defense drive. He is a one man dog.In the city where i live, there are no hovawarts or rhodesian but malinois yes. Did you guys use it for man trailing?

For family use still the Retrievers and Terriers are the most beloved.

As sport partner I prefer still the Doberman, Australian Sheppard, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dalmatian or Border Collie, especially for agility… but they need a lot of care and owners time to be happy.

I think the german sheppard dont need to be a bad choice for K9, depend on his breeding history and training, and until the quality is good, why not. But I think its maybe a matter of availability of breeds like belgium sheppards, cause Im sure comparing the Malinois to sheppard is still a big difference. Our police changed a few years ago nearly their whole dog population to Malinois within a short period.

Yes, i agree. Even the sports people too turned to mals.