Where does a Management Degree get you?

Hi All,

When an Engineering student graduates, he/she will be an engineer right? So a Management Degree holder will become a Manager the instant he/she graduates?

I come from an electrical engineering background, worked for 2 years and I know the best top position you can hold is an executive manager. However, it usually requires several long years to get to that position, which makes me think, why don’t we all just study Management programmes and become a manager the instant we graduate? I know this statement is disturbing and wrong (which I hope!)

Someone kindly enlighten me, thanks a million!

p/s: THis is not a concern towards education, but about the final job.

one department only need one manager oh. Only the potential one can become manager, the unlucky one become executive forever.

I really regret (right now) that I took up elec. engineering, as compared to the ‘easier’ Management ones. No offense, but I did went through management papers (belonged to a college mate) and I think I would have an easier time. In fact, all the courses that I took, I did better in essays/theories as compared to calculations :frowning:

Hi annunaki

Your regrets are mis-placed. You want to be a ‘manager’? But manage what? You will not be a credible manager of an electrical engineering service/company without having been a practising electrical engineer first. Management qualifications are not essential to be a senior manager. Whilst management qualifications can be helpful as you climb the management hierarchy you also need to accumulate management experience so you can relate ‘theory’ to ‘practice’. If you are motivated, comptent and relate well with others you might be able to climb the ladder relatively quickly.

Thanks, that inspires me.

Although I am highly aware of your claim, I was just being bold to see what people would say about this.

Why aren’t things traight to the point such as taking a course in Degree in Fortune Making or something?

For most people life is not that easy!

Be grateful with what you have and stop comparing yourself with others. Not everyone gets to have tertiary education like you. Stop being pessimistic.

Thanks for the input, really appreciate it. I guess in our 20s money is extremely crucial, later in my 50s only then I will start to think about moral values etc etc Sorry guys, I’m just being realistic and not pessimistic :slight_smile: tonyops, the only reason to get me motivated is to compare myself to more successful people,especially those who I look up to.

well anukki, no point comparing. it all depends on how good you are, how you tackle things. Let me give you an example. As a degree holder myself, I’m not a top student.I graduated the same time with the top student. However, I got a job first, whereas he is still jobless. Another friend has a better result compared to mine, but his first job pay is lower than my current pay.

So the conclusion is, at the end of the day, it depends on how you see things and handle them. They keep comparing to each other, and I never did. Still, I believe i’m better than them considering one is jobless and one has a lower first job pay. I’m not comparing them to me, I’m just telling you the facts so that you can see the whole picture. So come to the point that you should not compare. You should have faith in yourself and most importantly, FOLLOW YOUR HEART. Always believe in the things you do, and things will work out perfectly.

One more thing, management is not necessarily better than engineering. Both has it’s pros and cons. So again, don’t compare plsss… It will only pull you down and make you look ugly should you fail your target. That’s just my advice. Remember, follow your heart…

CHEERS

yup stop comparing. be grateful of what you have now. not everybody who had management degree will be guarantee a managerial level/position. some are even placed in that position without going through the proper protocol in an organisation. it is so much on how we dwell and handle the situation.

as long as you are in the right track, victory at the other end awaits you. cheers. :smiley:

[quote=“annunaki”]Hi All,

When an Engineering student graduates, he/she will be an engineer right? So a Management Degree holder will become a Manager the instant he/she graduates?

I come from an electrical engineering background, worked for 2 years and I know the best top position you can hold is an executive manager. However, it usually requires several long years to get to that position, which makes me think, why don’t we all just study Management programmes and become a manager the instant we graduate? I know this statement is disturbing and wrong (which I hope!)

p/s: THis is not a concern towards education, but about the final job.[/quote]

hey there :slight_smile:

I find your statement quite interesting frankly because I don’t think it works that way. I doubt people who study business management will “become a manager the instant he/she graduates”. To me, this person probably would have started in a fresh grad program in a company and work his/her way up like anyone else. Unless of course, their parents have their own businesses.

The degree is just a piece of paper. The type of degree you hold/are reading will give you a set of skills which you have to apply on your own. I did my degree in Arts and majored in Psychology and English. Haha… this is probably one of the more diversed (some people say ‘useless’) degrees you would ever encounter. I am now interning as a probationary psychology after 2 extra years of study and will only get my registration next year. Other friends who have the same degree are on the same path, some have gone home and gotten married :slight_smile: and others are doing jobs ranging from financial analyst, editor, journalist, public relations etc. We started off the same, but end up doing different things with the skills we gained.

Again, I really don’t think that people who study management go into the workforce as managers. If they have that mindset, you’d think they would have a hard time finding jobs! :stuck_out_tongue: If it were that easy, then you are right, we should all go study management! My dad is an engineer like yourself, though his major is Civil. After working for 25 yrs, he is now a manager. He doesn’t have a management degree by the way :stuck_out_tongue: I guess the point is, every degree is the same in terms of where you start off in workforce (unless like I said, your parents have some sort of business). What you do after you get that qualification is up to you :slight_smile:

Cheers!

i wonder y people owez asks if i take this diploma/degree… what job that i’ll can get after graduated? aiyaa… feel that stupid questionlah… it’s everything about what is ur passion, what opportunities u have, what r u chasing either $ or passion or ur study field. eg: my IT HOD is graduate in hotel management. a lot of my friends graduate in engineering, tourism, business & IT… became a TEACHER. mayb some of them really have passion on it, or get higher paid, or didnt get other opportunities / no choice / kena force by family (my parent also pernah scolded me y i dun apply became a teacher…hehehhe)…

Hmmm, I don’t think that if one study management, they will be managers once they graduate la.

Usually those who are in the manager are those who have experience.

Those who hold the management degree have knowledge on how to manage. Not necessary they will be managers.

I believe that work attitude is very important. With the right attitude, there is no stopping you.

do u know it malaysia u seldom get the job that match ur degree/ diploma?

it is all bcos of MISMATCH of “supply n demand” of university grads.
it is easier for ppl to get degree/ diploma now but the jobs for that particular degree/ diploma are limited.

i think our education sys is more to “number of high achievers”(quantity) than quality.
some ppl wit poor grads can go into university.
bcos of this universities r offering more IRRELEVANT courses dat does not have many demand.
when grad, hard to find job, in the end bcome a teacher…

i think those who has poor grads should not be in d university at all.
they should go to technical college bcos there r more job there.
not good in academic but better in technical skill
only those with good grads should enter university.
in the end, only bright student in d university (more quality less IRRELEVANT course).

when some top class student cannot enter university (happen almost every year), dun u think our education sys screw up?

It takes good rational thinking and common
sense to become a good manager…

Management Degree only gives you the
basics and theories… But the real challenge
and experience you get is during real life
work problems and situations…

Don’t give up, annunaki…

i am already graduated for few months, now just get the temporary jobs… other wise, will be ‘goyang kaki’ at home…
don’t know why tat geology’s student cant get a job after graduate… no relations inside any oil and gas company is the main key… sent resume to many companies but no reply at all… who can help me??

but I’m not give up yet… while working the temporary jobs and searching for job again… SMILE… :slight_smile:

geology from which uni?

UMS…

[quote=“PaTiEnT^”][quote=“annunaki”]Hi All,

p/s: THis is not a concern towards education, but about the final job.[/quote]

hey there :slight_smile:

I find your statement quite interesting frankly because I don’t think it works that way. I doubt people who study business management will “become a manager the instant he/she graduates”. To me, this person probably would have started in a fresh grad program in a company and work his/her way up like anyone else. Unless of course, their parents have their own businesses.

The degree is just a piece of paper. The type of degree you hold/are reading will give you a set of skills which you have to apply on your own. I did my degree in Arts and majored in Psychology and English. Haha… this is probably one of the more diversed (some people say ‘useless’) degrees you would ever encounter. I am now interning as a probationary psychology after 2 extra years of study and will only get my registration next year. Other friends who have the same degree are on the same path, some have gone home and gotten married :slight_smile: and others are doing jobs ranging from financial analyst, editor, journalist, public relations etc. We started off the same, but end up doing different things with the skills we gained.

Again, I really don’t think that people who study management go into the workforce as managers. If they have that mindset, you’d think they would have a hard time finding jobs! :stuck_out_tongue: If it were that easy, then you are right, we should all go study management! My dad is an engineer like yourself, though his major is Civil. After working for 25 yrs, he is now a manager. He doesn’t have a management degree by the way :stuck_out_tongue: I guess the point is, every degree is the same in terms of where you start off in workforce (unless like I said, your parents have some sort of business). What you do after you get that qualification is up to you :slight_smile:

Cheers![/quote]

Good one!

that is good one…i’m major in Account & Eco…end up doing sales…why??? i guess statement from annunaki is very true…