West Malaysians in Miri

Hi there! If anyone would be so kind to help me, i read up a small bit of info that West Malaysians aren’t able to work in East M’sia unless they first obtain a work permit and vice versa just like an expat would normally do. Is this true?

if i am not mistaken, whoever born outside Sarawak must get a work permit to work in Sarawak.

thanks! another question, would you happen to know what the prerequisites are before being able to apply for the working permit and if the amount of west m’sians working in Miri are many? :slight_smile:

i do not think they judge on the limit. This is something i am not sure how it works. let me try and ask those who work here where did they get the info how to work here.

For West Malaysian coming to Sarawak either for leisure stay or work, both required permit from immigration. There are many W. Malaysian working and also just not working in Miri. The requirement for work permit for West Malaysian is very much less stringent as compared to a foreigner which basically required the company employing a foreigner to register with Labout dept. This is to ensure that no local Malaysian can do the job, thus have to employ a foreigner.

dasolve : thanks again, that’s very nice of you :slight_smile:
davidshania : so i can’t just enter E. M’sia with just my IC? also, there is no duration limit for this permit for West Malaysians in East Malaysia, correct?

You can enter E. Malaysia with your IC, but just for a visit, something like 30 days(?).

The thing is, you have to apply for a job in E. Malaysia first, then if there are no qualified E.Malaysians and therefore you get the job, your employer will get the permit for you. The permit has to be renewed every 6 months.

as long as u got a job in sarawak, u dont have to worry work permit thing. Make sure u bring enuf money here to belanja us minum.

[quote=“azleena”]You can enter E. Malaysia with your IC, but just for a visit, something like 30 days(?).

The thing is, you have to apply for a job in E. Malaysia first, then if there are no qualified E.Malaysians and therefore you get the job, your employer will get the permit for you. The permit has to be renewed every 6 months.[/quote]

30 days ? i thought 3 months

[quote=“cengkadad”][quote=“azleena”]You can enter E. Malaysia with your IC, but just for a visit, something like 30 days(?).

The thing is, you have to apply for a job in E. Malaysia first, then if there are no qualified E.Malaysians and therefore you get the job, your employer will get the permit for you. The permit has to be renewed every 6 months.[/quote]

30 days ? i thought 3 months[/quote]

i tot they cannot use IC…
unless swak custom top man is a west msian too…

my mum is w. msian. if u r w. msian, u enter sarawak only use i.c. no more passprt. my aunt fly in from w. msian and stay in miri to take care my confinement for almost 3 mths using i.c to come in. if u want to work here, make sure there is employer employ you only then you can work here and the work permit will handle by your employer here. nothing to do with the swk custom is top man or not…

To conclude, you can use IC to come into Sarawak, and the duration vary frojm 1-3 months, case by case basis. If you wants to work here, you needs your employer to help you to apply work permit and the duration for work permit vary from 1-12 months.

i got another questions here…might be not really related… let say…u marry a wife from w.msia… then meaning is she gonna hold a PR passport to sarawak? or something else… hahaa… enlight me plz

dat is violation of custom laws…
so all w.msian can come here n work in lucrative oil n gas job…
we locals will be begging for jobs eventhough we have better qualification…

like in sabah…

She is still a west msian and still required a work permit if she want to work and needs to extend her stay if she wants to stay longer.

yes, if husband is sarawakian and wife not, she can get a PR paper and stay & work here like sarawakians. but not if the wife is sarawakian and the husband from outside sarawak.

if 1st husband is sarawakian, 2nd husband is west msian. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

the wife is sarawakian or west?

doesn’t matter how many exhusband…recent husband has to be sarawakian to get the PR.

alright i believe i have all the information necessary already, thanks very much to all! sounds like a pretty cool city to be in, looking forward to it :lol:

alright…so once registered as official husband n wife… husband swakian, wife west msian so upon registration…need to proceed to PR applying lor? whr to do that?? immigration?? thanks for the info…coz this is wat i m gonna have hehehe…