Want to move to Miri - Area Suggestions?

We are planning to move to Miri from Middle East and any suggestions are welcome with regards to area to chose within Miri. I will be working in Oil & Gas Industry on rotational basis and wife would have to stay alone during my ON days. Therefore, we are looking for suggestions where Beach and Shops are near and most importantly it is safe. Any suggestions are welcome…

Piasau and Pujut area.

Thanks June and if you know both these areas then can you advise how are the rentals like? How is night life in Miri overall? How are beaches? Any more info about Miri would be welcome.

Thanks June and if you know both these areas then can you advise how are the rentals like? How is night life in Miri overall? How are beaches? Any more info about Miri would be welcome.

hi inayat,

i’d suggest u get more info from the company who hires u to come to miri, and ask the HR to arrange for u.

i’m more than willing to help u up with informations. but arrangement wise your company should be, and they are supposedly, helping u out the settling down matter.

welcome to miri.

[quote=“k-ray”]hi inayat,

i’d suggest u get more info from the company who hires u to come to miri, and ask the HR to arrange for u.

i’m more than willing to help u up with informations. but arrangement wise your company should be, and they are supposedly, helping u out the settling down matter.

welcome to miri.[/quote]

I’m not hired by any company and working somewhere else. Miri was suggest by a friend of mine when I started thinking about moving and living in Malaysia. I’m open to suggestions honestly and if there are any other places better than miri in terms of Safety, Quality of Life, ease of living etc

Dear Inayat,
I have PM you. Please check.
Thanks.

I may say Airport there. Taman Delight. The area maybe boring to some people. but for me it is a good place. I dont live there but i went there few times plus my uncle family also live there…

Hi inayat

Miri Is a quiet place at night. Beaches are lovely. Guess ur working place is only 5 mins or less to beaches. Anyway…welcome to Miri. U will find out more when u r here.

Thanks for your suggestions and all are being welcomed. Allow me to clarify something. I think most of you are thinking that I am joining some Oil Company but it is not the reason to come to Miri. I’m planning to get MM2H visa for Malaysia and want to settle down in Malaysia. Friend of mine suggested Miri or Kota Kinabalu. I know this forum is about Miri only but any suggestions are welcome about place to settle down in Malaysia.

Hi Inayat,

If you like safe area, i suggest you stay at Taman Bay shore or Kin link apartment with 24 hours Security guard.
In Taman bay Shore Double Storey Semi-d with fully furnish, alarm , auto gate, fridge, sofa, washing machine, bed mattress gas stove & etc, 24 hours with security guard. rental fee:RM 2,800/, when you are in Miri? Welcome to Miri.

if interested pls call or sms to 016 800 7503, thanks.

retire in miri?

i would suggest vibrant cosmopolitan KL. Miri is the place conservative retired rich old people goes to to fade from life.

people here in Miri lived in high wall houses and do not talk to each other, even immediate neighbours unless from same race or religion. rich looks down on the poor. poor resents the rich. and then you have resentment based on race and religion too.

if you are white everyone will friend you but if you are brown/black you will face discrimination in public from some uneducated in etiquettes peoples holding their nose or clearing their throat or passing snide remarks when they passed by you. spitting with loud throat clearing sound in public is a very common sight.

but the silver lining is that majority are friendly but are wary and very guarded in emotion and response. this could be due to high crimes rate.

since you are expatriate you should move to Bayshore . Bayshore is gated expatriate community. they are a lot of them living there, living in their own world, cut-off from contact with locals.

[quote=“gorshan”]retire in miri?

i would suggest vibrant cosmopolitan KL. Miri is the place conservative retired rich old people goes to to fade from life.

people here in Miri lived in high wall houses and do not talk to each other, even immediate neighbours unless from same race or religion. rich looks down on the poor. poor resents the rich. and then you have resentment based on race and religion too.

if you are white everyone will friend you but if you are brown/black you will face discrimination in public from some uneducated in etiquettes peoples holding their nose or clearing their throat or passing snide remarks when they passed by you. spitting with loud throat clearing sound in public is a very common sight.

but the silver lining is that majority are friendly but are wary and very guarded in emotion and response. this could be due to high crimes rate.

since you are expatriate you should move to Bayshore . Bayshore is gated expatriate community. they are a lot of them living there, living in their own world, cut-off from contact with locals.[/quote]

Walao! Miri that bad ah? We discriminating against our own colour. So sad! I also dislike high walls built around houses. They are ugly.

Wow, what gorshan has written here caught my emotion… hard to deny it…
but i believe there are still nice ppl around that are less antisocial…like me :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“lyn.lyn”]Wow, what gorshan has written here caught my emotion… hard to deny it…
but i believe there are still nice ppl around that are less antisocial…like me :p[/quote]
Ya, I couldn’t agree more. I am not discriminative though am at times not too social :mrgreen:
I have worked with Europeans from Europe, Taiwanese, and Malaysians like Malays, Chinese, Dayaks, Indians, kelabits and many many more and I never feel like to dislike them! :slight_smile:

I think better find house at Riam Road…there places are far from the crowd and busy of the town…can get to easy access to raw food and also shopping at Merdeka Mall or Morsjaya Commercial Area…low crime rate…

Better try out place like Riam Road…easy access to the beach…thru the airport road

Taman Bayshore got crime rate? hehe.
We also got lutong beach ^^
Piasau Boat club etc

It depends on which kind of company do you wish to keep.
Honestly speaking yes people mostly keep to themselves in miri.
But as to Bayshore I believe that most are very friendly here. Especially the expats.