Volunteers produce patchwork for sale

MIRI: Every Tuesday, come rain or shine, a group of patchwork enthusiasts would gather at the home of Miri Palliative Care Association (PCAM) to design, stitch and patch pieces of colourful fabrics together.

The completed art works such as towel hanger, tissue box cover and key holder are all nicely displayed on the table along with sewing paraphernalia like embroidery thread, embroidery needle, scissors, rotary cutter and so on, creating an ambiance that greatly contrasts with the plain background of the quiet home located at Krokop here.

Remy Yii, a volunteer at PCAM and also the important figure behind the workshop, revealed that introducing the art workshop wasnt easy in the beginning.

Some time a year ago, one of a few close friends whom I taught at a sewing class in my home told me that they wanted to raise funds for PCAM by selling their art work. She even convinced me to visit the home.

After a few visits there, they even suggested that I set up a class, which is of course free of charge, for the volunteers as well as the public who want to learn about patchwork, quilting and embroidery.

Since it is my hobby and I dont mind teaching others who are willing to learn, I took up the challenge and here we are today, she told The Borneo Post when met yesterday.

Despite facing some challenges teaching passionate students who never held a needle, Yii said eventually many of them, driven by passion and persistence, managed to complete a piece of handicraft.

Of course, they need some guidance along the way, but for them to be able to sit down with glasses (for the elderly), holding a tiny needle stitching out a pattern for hours, it really is an accomplishment for them as well as for me too, the thrilled Yii exclaimed.

As The Borneo Post browsed through the pieces and closely observed the volunteers working their magic, one of the volunteers who refused to be identified shared on the perks of patchwork and its correlation with palliative care.

For the past 10 years, I have been volunteering at PCAM, caring and home-visiting the patients. Ive always noticed that the patients would have their attention distracted by something else, even though just sitting with us chit-chatting during the workshop, they actually find solace while enjoying watching the volunteers, the retired nurse said.

After the art works are compiled, she said they would be sold at a charity sale.

We are actually thrilled with the positive response from members of the public towards our artwork.

Even more so, when we were told that the response from Bruneians is no less than the locals here. In fact, there is high demand for patchwork there, she said.

The workshop is open to the public every Tuesday from 9am to 12pm. Those who are interested to learn or purchase the beautiful artwork are welcome to visit Miri Palliative Care Association.

Source: http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=499887