US Keen to See Uptrend in Student Enrolment

KUALA LUMPUR, 11 FEBRUARY, 2011: The US is keen to see Malaysian student enrolment in the countrys universities and community colleges to continue to be on the uptrend, said Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Academic Programs Alina L. Romanowski.

She said last year, over 6,000 Malaysians studied in the US, up 4.2 per cent from the previous year.

I would like to encourage more Malaysians to consider studying at the more than 4,000 colleges and universities in the US. I am interested to see more students and I would like to keep that trend going up, she said.

Romanowski was speaking to reporters after launching the new high-tech EducationUSA Advising Center at the Malaysian-American Commission on Educational Exchange (MACEE) here today.

She said the EducationUSA Advising Center would provide Malaysian students and their parents with information on how to make a study plan, choose a school, find financial aid, apply for admission, get a student visa and prepare for departure.

One of the reason we set up the center is to make it easy for Malaysian students and their parents to get information and feel comfortable about coming and studying in the US, she said, adding that a similar centre was operating in Penang.

Meanwhile, Ooi Li Hsien, 25, who studied at the Minnesota State University, Mankato for a year under the Global Undergraduate Program said the opportunity to study in US gave him many benefits.

BERNAMA