Umno man disqualified, so PAS wins its first state seat

Source: http://www.thestar.com.my/elections2008/story.asp?file=/2008/2/25/Election2008/20435801&sec=election2008

Monday February 25, 2008

Umno man disqualified, so PAS wins its first state seat

KOTA BARU: PAS won its first seat uncontested when the Umno candidate for Kijang, Mustopha Ahmed, was disqualified because he had been declared a bankrupt.

This resulted in PAS woman candidate and newcomer Wan Ubaidah Omar being declared the winner.

Mustophas campaign came to an abrupt halt as soon as he stepped into the Pengkalan Chepa nomination centre when PAS officers produced a letter dated Nov 25, 2005 from the Insolvency Department about bankruptcy charges filed against him.

Mustopha, 55, said he had been a guarantor for a friend who had taken a loan from Mara and he had received an explanation from Mara regarding his status, but there was insufficient time to submit it to the Election Commission (EC).

I will appeal this through the courts and will not discount the possibility of standing in a by-election, he said.

Mustopha had just resigned from Telekom Malaysia after serving 30 years and had been upbeat when his name was announced in the Umno candidate list on Thursday.

State Umno Youth chief Dali Husain said Mustopha was waiting for the release of a letter from the Insolvency Department which did not come.

Wan Ubaidah said she was extremely surprised that she had won.

I had actually hoped that Datuk Nik Aziz Nik Mat would win uncontested. I really wanted to contest, she said.

PAS vice-president Datuk Husam Musa said the win showed that Umno had not selected its candidates properly and that he had kept the information about Mustopha secret for the past 10 days.

It was only during the nomination that I sent the documents to the returning officer, he said.

State Barisan Nasional election director Datuk Dr Awang Adek Hussin said the coalition would consider filing an election petition.

State EC director Ab Rahim Md Salleh said the returning officer made his decision based on a report from the Insolvency Department. Under the law, it means automatic disqualification.

Earlier, PAS supporters also thought that spiritual leader and Chempaka state seat incumbent Nik Aziz had won uncontested after his Umno opponent Datuk Dr Nik Mohd Zain Omar, left out his signature on the nomination form.

After PAS lodged a protest to the returning officer Ismail Ghani, Umno also protested on the grounds that Nik Aziz and another PAS candidate, Datuk Mohd Amar Abdullah, had used their honorific titles Datuk in their nomination forms.

It is learnt that Umno and PAS reached a compromise, dropping protests from both sides so that all the candidates could contest.

Mustophas campaign came to an abrupt halt as soon as he stepped into the Pengkalan Chepa nomination centre when PAS officers produced a letter dated Nov 25, 2005 from the Insolvency Department about bankruptcy charges filed against him.

Ini macam pun boleh jadi… :shock: :shock:

Congratulation to this PAS candidate and newcomer Wan Ubaidah Omar… :wink: