Ugly and Dirty Miri

(Reject corrupt BN and save our country.) #1

See for yourself how ugly and dirty Miri is. The exterior of many shophouses are mouldy with aircons and sign boards placed all over the front of the buildings. That’s an eyesore for me.
Hahaha the beach is really dirty and how embarrassing it is for me to be a mirian after watching this video.

(Athrun_zala_faith) #2

Yeah, how about spare some money to help some renovation of the buildings?

And lend a hand to clean up the beach, what do you say?

(wgn_white) #3

Yeah, join some voluntary group to clean those beach also good enough.

(Jasonlwe) #4

Where do you find those voluntary groups? @@

(Athrun_zala_faith) #5
Jasonlwe said:
Where do you find those voluntary groups? @@
Mostly school and church organizations...i saw them picking up garbage before.

i hope people would be more educated to know not to liter...it's so basic...

(SuperBen6) #6

do you know the US Navy is helping to clean beaches in Sabah!

(winwin) #7

If you have been to Japan and Korea, you wouldn’t believe your eyes. They are so so clean. I even witnessed a guy in a subway train picking up a candy wrapper from the floor and put it into his jacket side pocket ! What a nice gesture…

(SuperBen6) #8

even Singapore is so clean

u litter and get SGD 500 fine on the spot!

(Athrun_zala_faith) #9
SuperBen6 said:

Excellent Idea, how about enforce it?

(SuperBen6) #10
Athrun_zala_faith said:
SuperBen6 said:

Excellent Idea, how about enforce it?

UiTM, ministry in anti-littering drive

Posted on October 16, 2010, Saturday

KOTA KINABALU: Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM) Sabah Campus will be working with Local Government and Housing Ministry to spread awareness among the public on the importance of maintaining cleanliness in the state.

Minister of Local Government and Housing Datuk Hajiji Noor, who witnessed the signing of a memorandum of understanding (MOU) between his ministry and UiTM yesterday, said Tuaran district will be the first location for the awareness activities.

The ministry was represented at the signing by permanent secretary Datuk Abidin Madingkir, while campus director Abdul Kadir Rosline signed for UiTM.

Apart from seminars, the anti-littering campaign will include training for people to better manage their household waste, he said.

We are focusing on the litterbugs that always contribute to the problem. So we will enforce the existing laws so that the public will be more responsible towards the environment, he said.

We do not want the situation where the local authority would collect rubbish in the morning, but litterbugs will throw the rubbish again in the afternoon, he added.

According to the Sulaman assemblyman, the maximum fine for littering under the anti-litter by-law is RM500, but the fine can be as big as RM20,000 when it involves illegal dumping of industrial waste.

Kadir said the programme is one of the most innovative ways to educate the people.

UiTM will be the professional adviser for the programme, and we are confident that we can do it because our campus is the first litter-free campus as announced by the City Hall recently.

We will continue the programme until we can see the result among people in the state, he said.

Meanwhile, Hajiji said a cleanliness competition will be held for local authorities in the state, where the cleanest district will be selected and announced by the end of this year.

(Reject corrupt BN and save our country.) #11
Athrun_zala_faith said:

wgn_white said:
I'll have to say NO! Why should I when people will only continue to dump rubbish on the beach and river.
I think it's time for Miri Council to act when the locals do not know how to keep their city clean. Many of us are still jungle people who are not as civilised as the japanese. It's a shame but that's how many of us are.
Give heavy fines to those caught littering as well as companies who are polluting miri/piasau/lutong river.

(zodiacking) #12

Giving heavy fines is the best solution, but hard to implement especially towards civilian.
Because there’s no one to “catch” the litterer…
In country like Singapore, the polices will patrol the street and fines whoever smoke or litters.
In Miri, to be honest, i have never seen police patrolling the street.

(wgn_white) #13
meereeceetee said:

wgn_white said:
I'll have to say NO! Why should I when people will only continue to dump rubbish on the beach and river.
I think it's time for Miri Council to act when the locals do not know how to keep their city clean. Many of us are still jungle people who are not as civilised as the japanese. It's a shame but that's how many of us are.
Give heavy fines to those caught littering as well as companies who are polluting miri/piasau/lutong river.
Heh!
You yourself doesn't want to get involved to beautify and cleaning the city, then who will start?
Things started from individuality.
Then when people see you around, they might follow because feel shame or just because you look cool doing it.

Then why don't you move to Japan?

Oh, wait, you will get scared walking there because there's many cosplayer or weird fashion on the street especially around Akibahara and Harajuku.

(summer sunshine) #14

Start with ourselves would be the best. Japanese and Korean, they are not doing what us foreigners are impressed with out of fear to pay the fine but because of the pride of their nation. They’d do the very best to keep up the goid name of Japan and Korea, and they are proud of their country. It’s culturally ingrained in them since young.
As a Malaysian, a Sarawakian, yes I do complain about the authority the politicians the fuel price the GST and what not, but on top of all these grumbles, I’m still proud to be known as a Sarawakian and a Malaysian. The country itself is loved, and it has nothing to do with who’s ruling it.

(dopamineblitz) #15

I am restraining my not to feed trolls

(BigAlbert) #16

nobody cares why should i care?

they even eat dolphins that have been beached up on the shore…

just join the party guys…not much we can do

(kicrexayz) #17

oh woah, what i think is…
nowadays, teens are mostly smartphone addicts… they dnt SEE whats really happen in their OWN living place, n once they got trouble (such as, gums stick on shoe… etc) because of simply littering, n then they realize the problem.

(Jackson Liaw) #18

From the video at 2:20, I’m sure most of you noticed this large pile as well when passing by.

(Tawai) #19

no wonder there are basically ZERO tourists here…

(Hacker_888) #20