To all sifu... *Swap engine inquiries*

BMW E36 320i.

Which engine is suitable to replace it’s old engine?

Old engine I suspect ECU, Transmission got problem.

So planning to do a major works on the car which is putting in 1JZ/2JZ? Is it possible to draft out a cost if I want to install a new engine which include ECU and manual gearbox?

Need advice in installation and matters on this. Thanks a lot!

Also if let’s say new engine is 2.5L, so road tax will cost more? Enlighten me please.

should ask your budget first.

but i would recommend sr20 or f20c :mrgreen: —>

of course, the latter would cost a bomb and quite hard to find.

1j/2j is quite heavy, but it’s not impossible to be put into e36 engine bay. of course there are few mods need to be done especially on the mountings and wirings, good workmanship and labour charge comes in here. and of course with higher CC would have higher roadtax. biasalah tu. :slight_smile:

put in s2000 engine will be nice…

what year is your car manufacture?

[quote=“vertigo”]should ask your budget first.

but i would recommend sr20 or f20c :mrgreen: —>

of course, the latter would cost a bomb and quite hard to find.

1j/2j is quite heavy, but it’s not impossible to be put into e36 engine bay. of course there are few mods need to be done especially on the mountings and wirings, good workmanship and labour charge comes in here. and of course with higher CC would have higher roadtax. biasalah tu. :)[/quote]
Thanks that’s very helpful.

But I heard most of the people here put in 1JZ. The amount for everything should be reasonable like RM25k will sort everything out? I don’t know. Any idea?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

rm25k should be more than enough for your project. afterall 1jz halfcut shouldn’t cost more than rm10k, last i’ve heard.

can you still get insurance after all this chop and change?

how is your resale value?

Any experience in swapping? =D

Any experience in swapping? =D[/quote]

nop, but have few friends did theirs, normal wira-evo engine, honda to dohc b-series engine only la. :slight_smile: by the way, the price of 1J now should be around rm8k-10k for auto - normally taken from soarer, manual around rm10k-12k- from the old supra. those with vvti should cost slightly more i think.

Any experience in swapping? =D[/quote]

nop, but have few friends did theirs, normal wira-evo engine, honda to dohc b-series engine only la. :slight_smile: by the way, the price of 1J now should be around rm8k-10k for auto - normally taken from soarer, manual around rm10k-12k- from the old supra. those with vvti should cost slightly more i think.[/quote]

How do I start off with this project? That is to find the half cut I assume. :smiley:

Thanks a lot for the replies

u might want to ask the ex-mod mr. bulat - i presume he has lots of contact regarding this halfcuts thingy.

May I suggest this, for 25k why not sell your E36 to those “hunting for greencard” (for obvious reason!) And add that budget to your 25k and get 1 of these:

http://www.mudah.my/BMW+520i+24V-8290917.htm
http://www.mudah.my/Bmw+328i-8255952.htm

If you put in a 1jz or 2jz, it won’t feel like a BMW anymore. There is nothing quite like the straight 6 BMW engine, it’s silky smooth. But if your aim is power and speed then modify modify :mrgreen:

[quote=“WT”]BMW E36 320i.

So planning to do a major works on the car which is putting in 1JZ/2JZ? Is it possible to draft out a cost if I want to install a new engine which include ECU and manual gearbox?

Also if let’s say new engine is 2.5L, so road tax will cost more? Enlighten me please.[/quote]

there is 1 BMW halfcut with huge turbo at E-mart area… not sure how much they selling…

a real antique there…20 years old!

old is gold dude

you might want to put some ABS or airbags in there!

[quote=“lasting99”]May I suggest this, for 25k why not sell your E36 to those “hunting for greencard” (for obvious reason!) And add that budget to your 25k and get 1 of these:

http://www.mudah.my/BMW+520i+24V-8290917.htm
http://www.mudah.my/Bmw+328i-8255952.htm

If you put in a 1jz or 2jz, it won’t feel like a BMW anymore. There is nothing quite like the straight 6 BMW engine, it’s silky smooth. But if your aim is power and speed then modify modify :mrgreen:

[quote=“WT”]BMW E36 320i.

Also if let’s say new engine is 2.5L, so road tax will cost more? Enlighten me please.[/quote][/quote]
When the car performance is in really bad shape, there’s no point in repairing the car, let alone selling it at 25k LOL! But if I swap the engine, I can get to use the car. Maybe if got turbo can also :smiley: I know how smooth is the engine, but sadly the performance isn’t there anymore.

Also I don’t really trust 2nd hand cars after I get this BMW lol.

Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: Whoa on a second note, that 328i is tempting. If only I could sell this sad ol’ 320i for 25k LOL!

Oh? That sounds fun. I wonder which BMW got chopped hah!

E36 is awesome, convert to M3, put in double vanos M3 engine and maintain the originality.

or go for banzai engine for limited budget.

last option, lock rear axle and transform into a missile for the fun of drifitng. :mrgreen:

For 1JZ is possible and quite easy nowadays. Look for custom engine mount E36 - 1JZ. You’ll find plenty conversion kits available for the swap.

here is one option

http://www.ksracing.net/forums/index.php?topic=31558.0

[quote=“VeilSupra”]E36 is awesome, convert to M3, put in double vanos M3 engine and maintain the originality.

or go for banzai engine for limited budget.

last option, lock rear axle and transform into a missile for the fun of drifitng. :mrgreen:[/quote]

LOL! But budget limited.

Sad.

[quote=“rabbitx”]For 1JZ is possible and quite easy nowadays. Look for custom engine mount E36 - 1JZ. You’ll find plenty conversion kits available for the swap.

here is one option

http://www.ksracing.net/forums/index.php?topic=31558.0[/quote]

Any idea where I can get the halfcut and perform installation?

Thanks for the reply! :smiley:

EDIT: That’s a nice tutorial, but I’m afraid no tools to perform this job well haha

ull be amaze with the 1j or 2j sounds…just like one jeep using 1jz dat roam around miri…hehehe

1j is nice… 2j is nicer. i would say after swapping 2j in a 735i it has more power since the 735i body is heavy. 1j in a E36 is more than enough.