Those with jobs and money now turning to drugs

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/10/1/nation/20071001152824&sec=nation

Monday October 1, 2007
MYT 5:34:01 PM

Those with jobs and money now turning to drugs
By STEPHEN THEN

MIRI: A new trend of drug addiction has emerged in the country. More people who are rich, successful and educated are getting hooked on dangerous drugs, and more teenagers aged 13 to 15 are trying drugs for the first time. These latest statistics compiled by the Malaysian Crime Prevention Foundation are cause for extreme worry, said foundation vice-chairman Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye.

His foundation has found that more than 91% of new drug addicts registered nationwide are those who have jobs, some of them very good paying jobs, and even those in management positions.

"The foundation is very worried with these latest findings as it indicates that modern-day stresses are driving many to go overboard and to seek ‘relief’ from drugs.

"There was a time when people had the notion that drug addiction was most common among those who had no jobs. This is not the case anymore.

"The latest statistics we have gathered for this year showed a very worrying situation. More than 91% of new drug addicts are those who are employed. Only 7.6% of new drug addicts are jobless people.

"The entertainment industry tops the list of industries having the most drug addicts, followed by the management levels, general labourers, transportation industry drivers, fishermen, students and construction workers.

“It seems that people who are resorting to drugs nowadays are those who have money, some of them a lot of money. They are getting hooked on drugs because they cannot handle the increasing stresses of life,” he said Monday after launching a Miri school-level drug awareness campaign in this resort-city.

Lee also disclosed a few other very worrying new findings:

That many 13 to 15-year-olds are trying drugs for the first time;
That 71% of new drug addicts are youths aged between 19 and 39;
That the number of registered drugs addicts is 300,000, but the real figure may be 1.2 million;
That hard-core addicts spend more than RM100 per day at least to feed their drug addictions;
That average-level drug addicts spend at least RM30 per day on drugs;
That at least 40% of snatch thieves, burglars and other petty criminals are drug addicts; and
That heroin and amphetamine stimulants are the most popular drugs.
"The fact that drug addiction has snarled those in the most-productive age group, that is those between 19 and 39 years old is a danger sign because these people are supposed to be our youths, the future leaders of tomorrow.

"Twenty years ago in 1988, the drug menace was Malaysia’s No. 1 enemy. Today, our No. 1 enemy is still the same.

“Every year, Malaysian drug addicts spent at least RM1bil on drugs. Those who have no money left will go into crime to get the money to feed their habits,” he stressed.

From January to July this year, some 10,131 new drug addicts were detected, but the foundation believes that the real figure is four times more, said Lee.

The state worst hit by the drug menace is Penang, followed by Johor, Kuala Lumpur, Kedah, Perak, Selangor, Kelantan, Negri Sembilan, Pahang, Malacca, Sarawak, Sabah and Labuan with the least drug abuse cases.

Asked how his foundation intends to tackle the problem that this new trend of drug addiction presents, Lee said the foundation had outlined four sectors to be targeted for fresh rounds of anti-drug education - the schools, the offices and work-places, the home and the residential estates and community places.

Lee noted that not enough anti-dadah awareness campaigns and help programmes have been implemented in the offices and workplaces to help deal with the drug issues.

That many 13 to 15-year-olds are trying drugs for the first time;
That 71% of new drug addicts are youths aged between 19 and 39;

I think most of them start to be addicted or first try out is when they start to hang out in the pub…

They used to at one stage, didnt they? I remembered a few years ago, (a long-long time ago!) posters against drugs were all over the place. Do you think talk openly about dugs will stop it? It is how they advertise it here. Talk to your children more about drugs could help eliminate their curiosity in drug usage. Not sure how and if it could work!

How could drugs help to relieve stress? Hmmyou know in Japan they have this yelling class where one could go and start yelling in the class to relieve stress. I think that is not bad a idea because for those who are stress could vent out their stress/anger/ etc at the end of each working day.

The state worst hit by the drug menace is Penang, followed by Johor, Kuala Lumpur, Kedah, Perak, Selangor, Kelantan, Negri Sembilan, Pahang, Malacca, Sarawak, Sabah and Labuan with the least drug abuse cases.

Um, that’s just about listed 90% of the country…

Drug do relieved stress… those that are more toward anti-depressant type. I knew few bigshots businessman from Brunei are actually hooked on drug… They can actually drove down all the way from BSB at 8pm to Miri just to shake their heads till daylight and went back at dawn… no need to sleep… do it again the next day… These ppl are actually earning some B$30 - B$50K per month… The reason for these is simple, Their only way to relief work stress… too bad huh…

Heard that there is a new drug in town which is somehow water based… you can’t detect it with a simple urine test… is it true? Furthermore, the police played an important role here… sadly, some entertainment outlet seems to be operating ‘legally’ to sale drug with some agreed ‘package deal’…

why is this forum riddled with death threats, drug dealers, illegal car activities, spam, ect…?

How about posting something positive or even funny!

[quote=“spartan”]why is this forum riddled with death threats, drug dealers, illegal car activities, spam, ect…?

How about posting something positive or even funny![/quote]

It’s just news, and we post up news, good or bad, all the time. Been doing so for over a year now.

The above news is for purpose of information and discussion. You may choose to ignore it if it’s doesn’t fancy you though…

And I dunno about being ‘riddled’ with death threats, drug deals and illegal things… well i think it’s a pretty even spread overall, just like the real world.
:wink:

[quote=“spartan”]why is this forum riddled with death threats, drug dealers, illegal car activities, spam, ect…?

How about posting something positive or even funny![/quote]

Spartan… u r free to kick off with something positive or even funny from your point of view- Yes?

As for me, I take every topics in the forum positively because days to days… you are sharing information, learning from others and knowing what is happening… - sure all those are positive things in our life…