The real definition of bumiputera

When i was still in primary school, bumiputera was defined or at least taught to me as “local”. And for like 10 years, i believed that i was a bumiputera. Until i stumbled upon a scholarship for the so called “bumiputera only” and i thought it was for me until my friends were like “you’re not a bumiputera”.

But then, i even went over to check out on a dictionary and yes, the word “bumiputera” means “natives”. So why does bumiputera means malay when we are also natives of this country? I know how our ancestors might not be natives but we ( and by we, i mean every race excluding malays) definitely grew up here.

Can someone explain to me the real meaning of bumiputera? Like why not put “malay only” instead of “bumiputera only”?

PS: I really wanna know why and this isn’t about racism. Please, no racism posts. Just facts and stuff.

For me, apart from the natives like Iban, melanau, kayan, penan and others. Malays and Chinese are not aborigines of this region.
Malay came from indonesia and Chinese obviously came from China. Islam were brought to south east asian country by Chinese merchant, and yes…China has a few more times over population of muslim than Malaysia. just you know who wouldn’t want to put it down in history books, and you know why. Politics are control at West Malaysia, and majority of population in west malaysia? you know how this turn out in the end. They want protection, special rights although they are actually NOT the “bumiputra” of this land. just alot of them lives in this land. History are controlled and written by powers who sit on the top. deal with it.

Umno first used the word to differentiate the supposedly native of Malaya, the malays from the ‘pendatangs’ the chinese and indians.The bumis have more rights and privileges than the ‘pendatangs’. This is pure racism similar to how it was during the time of apartheid in South Africa.
I consider these bumiputera policies to be racist and should be discontinued asap.

Dear Jasonlwe,

Welcome to the reality of life. Maybe this will solve your problem or your generation problem in one day. Good luck.
SARAWAK FOR SARAWAKIANS Public Group | Facebook

Jason, bumiputera is the native of the land.
The people who OWN the origin of the land.
The prince of the earth where they stand now.

Your ancestor if in China would be a bumiputera of the land of China.

While Malaysian Chinese is NOT native respective to Malaya and Borneo even though you are born here.
Malaysian Chinese is a migrator.
They immigrate to Malaya during British colonisation where Indians and Chinese are cheap labour.
When you’re born here, you’re entitle for a “citizenship” but not the “native species”.
It’s genetic after all.

Why not just put “malay”?
Because I am not “malay” and I am a bumiputera. :slight_smile:

There’s more than 164 ethnics in Sarawak alone that talks different language.
To make it easier at the office there, they simply put “bumiputera”, Cina, India.

In West Malaysia, there’s also bumiputera who are not malay and these people are called “orang asli” and mostly a muslim.

To @meereeceetee

Bumiputera policies does not really have a lot of advantages at all.
It’s because most bumiputera doesn’t really well educated thus the policies were made to protect their opportunity so that they can rise up along side others.
It’s the same like in America.
The red indian natives are Bumiputera there and they do have their own “bumiputera policies”.

This doesn’t mean we bumiputera are stupid and idiot.
I’m a software architect myself and there’s a lot of my people have been studying abroad.
There’s even one of my friend now undergo a training to become an astronaut in US!

But I don’t deny that most of the bumiputera doesn’t have a high ambition.
To work as security guard and earn RM500-700 is enough for them.

As many of there’s many nice Malaysian Chinese, there’s a lot more bad apple in our society than you know.
Think about the people who get rich from illegal logging.
It’s like someone stealing a mangos from your backyard.
Of course you didn’t plant the mangos, but it’s your backyard and you will just let them do it?
Of course no, right?

And don’t compare us bumiputera in Sarawak to the extreme racism in West Malaysia.

I am not racist though what I found out from my own life story is the Malaysian Chinese is the one who mostly racist and look down on this “bumiputera” or “la ze” what we’re being “labelled”. (Not sure the spelling). But one thing for sure that “name” is to refer someone inferior to you. :wink:

This bumiputera policies some how in my point of view is not to disregard other ethics race like Malaysian Chinese and Indian but actually to “compensate” the intrusions of this new migrations.

Last but not least, I am a bumiputera myself, mixed with Chinese blood of second generation in Malaysia.
I’ve seen both world and doesn’t fit into either of them.

So Mr. wgn_white, if you think that Malaysian Chinese is the one who mostly racist. What do you think about this? Thanks.
Link: http://mrsmkch.edu.my/images/stories/pdf2014/peraturan_disiplin.pdf

27 JAN 2015

DAYAK ACTION DAY

DAYAKS ASSERT THEIR TRUE IDENTITY

NOT "ALEIN ALEINS" OR BUMIPUTERA!

WE ARE DAYAK (foto gallery)
We Are Not Dan Lain Lain, Neither Are We Bumiputra
Kuching Waterfront on 27 Jan 2015, 5pm

Sources: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Sarawakforsarawakians

Interesting topic. I took a search on the net and found some interesting info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumiputera_(Malaysia)

Quote:
The concept of a bumiputra ethnic group in Malaysia was coined by Tun Abdul Razak. It recognized the “special position” of the Malays provided in the Federal Constitution of Malaysia, in particular Article 153.

But, the constitution does not use the term “bumiputra”; it defines only “Malay” and “indigenous peoples” (Article 160(2)),[2] “natives” of Sarawak (161A(6)(a)),[3] and “natives” of Sabah (Article 161A(6) (b)).
End Quote

However,

In the book Buku Panduan Kemasukan ke Institusi Pengajian Tinggi Awam, Program Pengajian Lepasan SPM/Setaraf Sesi Akademik 2007/2008 . Malaysian Higher Education Ministry defined bumiputra as follows

1. Peninsular Malaysia
    • "If one of the parents is Muslim Malay/Orang Asli[5] as stated in Article 160 (2) Federal Constitution of Malaysia; thus the child is considered as a Bumiputra"
  2. Sabah
    • "If one of the parents is a Muslim Malay or indigenous native of Sabah as stated in Article 160A (6)(a) Federal Constitution of Malaysia; thus his child is considered as a Bumiputra"
  3. Sarawak
    • "If both of the parent are indigenous natives of Sarawak as stated in Article 160A (6)(b) Federal Constitution of Malaysia; thus their child is considered as a Bumiputra"
End Quote

Wow, it seems only Sarawak's indigenous natives are consider as pure blood Bumiputra.

no matter what you guys say, bumiputeraism for me equates apartheid equates nazism equates zionism and ultimately racism.

we are all Malaysian. when you care only of own bangsa and agama and you have shameful policies to suppress other bangsa and agama, then you have already set the ball rolling for Malaysia to forever remain a mediocre country. when such classification are there to divide the rakyat based on race and religion, do not expect progress in science , arts or minds.

my biggest regret is that i did not get out when i was young but i will make sure my children will be the last generation of Malaysian. its a beautiful big world out there and there’s no reason to remain here in this tiny part of the world and subject one-selves to accept such discriminations.

@jasonlwe so naive. but, no offense, alright? ‘w’ (dnt scold me.
because i also thought that before, when i looking for school loan. i thought what “earth prince” is this? (sorry, if sounds insulted.
“The prince of the earth where they stand now.” by @wgn_white i like your words.

Vandrexz said:
So Mr. wgn_white, if you think that Malaysian Chinese is the one who mostly racist. What do you think about this? Thanks.
Link: http://mrsmkch.edu.my/images/stories/pdf2014/peraturan_disiplin.pdf

No offence mean, I apologize if you feel it.
I'm just talking based on what I saw with my own eyes, and my own life experience. :)
Reality is harsh.
Not stereotyping either but, it happens really.

It's like the white discriminate the blacks in United States.
I hate racism. :(

And about the picture, it’s more to extreme religion practice in my humble opinion.
Because it said, ISLAM.
There’s a lot non-malay who is ISLAM as well.
But this is Islamic country after all, what do you expect. :confused:

I am not saying what you feel and saw is wrong but I think you said Malaysian Chinese is the one who mostly racist is too much. I worked with Dayaks before and I am totally okay with it and I treat them as my friends as well. We all are born here, but if there is a policy to differentiate those who are Chinese and India are non-bumi. Won’t you think this policy is a racist or huge discrimination as well to those who are non-bumi. ? Or like directly to you as well because you are mixed with Chinese blood?

About Malaysia is Islamic country. You are very wrong with no offense. Even Malaysia is Islamic country, it’s rules or actions totally violated others basic right. Don’t you agree that?
http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/sideviews/article/is-malaysia-an-islamic-country-josh-wu
http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/06/19/Malaysia-not-Islamic-or-secular-says-Dr-M/
http://www.malaysianbar.org.my/constitutional_law/is_malaysia_an_islamic_state_.html

It’s okay. Let’s just focus on the main thing here and leave the bumi and non-bumi away. As I mentioned just now, we all are born here. This Bumi and non-Bumi policy was create by Malaya people from the West. Now it’s time we all Sarawakians united as a whole and fight for Sarawak for Sarawakians. Please do join this facebook page and get the info why we Sarawakians should ask for Sarawak referendum. Thank you.

SARAWAK FOR SARAWAKIANS Public Group | Facebook

Vandrexz said:
I am not saying what you feel and saw is wrong but I think you said Malaysian Chinese is the one who mostly racist is too much. I worked with Dayaks before and I am totally okay with it and I treat them as my friends as well. We all are born here, but if there is a policy to differentiate those who are Chinese and India are non-bumi. Won't you think this policy is a racist or huge discrimination as well to those who are non-bumi. ? Or like directly to you as well because you are mixed with Chinese blood?

About Malaysia is Islamic country. You are very wrong with no offense. Even Malaysia is Islamic country, it's rules or actions totally violated others basic right. Don't you agree that?
http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/sideviews/article/is-malaysia-an-islamic-country-josh-wu
http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/06/19/Malaysia-not-Islamic-or-secular-says-Dr-M/
http://www.malaysianbar.org.my/constitutional_law/is_malaysia_an_islamic_state_.html

It's okay. Let's just focus on the main thing here and leave the bumi and non-bumi away. As I mentioned just now, we all are born here. This Bumi and non-Bumi policy was create by Malaya people from the West. Now it's time we all Sarawakians united as a whole and fight for Sarawak for Sarawakians. Please do join this facebook page and get the info why we Sarawakians should ask for Sarawak referendum. Thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Sarawakforsarawakians/

I really like this Sarawak for Sarawakian. As you said, Natives, Malays or chinese. All were born onto this land, let it be different colors of skin. I don't really bother by it, i too ever have a kayan girlfriend, my colleague married a malay girl. my friends are mixed kayan and chinese. because WHY NOT?

I agreed with the Sarawak for Sarawakian, demolish racism as it was a cancer to society. You have my help if one day we are having a war with semernanjung Malaysia.

Sarawakian and Proud.

Let’s hope it will be really good, those Sarawak for Sarawakian.
You know, usually greed will destroy all of it.
Sarawak is still lush green and have is rich with resources.
We was once among the prosper gold mining platform in this region.

But where those money goes really?

What’s the proposition for Sarawak for Sarawakian?
How those marry people from West Malaysia? What’s their status? Become a “non-Sarawakian”.
Won’t we replicate the whole thing again?

If we will going out all become an independent country, do we have that great leader that can assure the future of our people.
I can’t see one now, not even our chief now.

The time not ripe yet, I wonder who will rise up as the great leader that will build the REPUBLIC of SARAWAK.

wgn_white said:
Let's hope it will be really good, those Sarawak for Sarawakian.
You know, usually greed will destroy all of it.
Sarawak is still lush green and have is rich with resources.
We was once among the prosper gold mining platform in this region.

But where those money goes really?

What's the proposition for Sarawak for Sarawakian?
How those marry people from West Malaysia? What's their status? Become a "non-Sarawakian".
Won't we replicate the whole thing again?

If we will going out all become an independent country, do we have that great leader that can assure the future of our people.
I can't see one now, not even our chief now.

The time not ripe yet, I wonder who will rise up as the great leader that will build the REPUBLIC of SARAWAK.
Yes, i do see your problems.

Resources aside, we also need a brain to guide us to better future. i meant look at Singapore, THAT is the leader i would like to have. A leader with brains that seriously know how to prosper the country.

i would like to keep this land green though, i sure hope if not desperate, do not cut down trees for sell.

I believe brain power are the way to sustain good economic wealth of the country. instead of selling more pieces of nature resources. which one day will be depleted, and we all become poor again.

“Bumiputera” is, as concluded, the native of the land, the original people of the area. Just saying.