Teach public how to cast vote, Rafidah tells Wanita BN

Source: http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/1/7/nation/19935284&sec=nation

Monday January 7, 2008

Teach public how to cast vote, Rafidah tells Wanita BN

JOHOR BARU: All Wanita wings of Barisan Nasional component parties have been told to go to the ground to educate the public on how and where to vote.

Wanita Umno chief Datuk Seri Rafidah Aziz said there are people who do not know how to vote and they comprise new voters and older voters who may have forgotten how to cast their ballots.

She said these were among the reasons for the high number of spoilt votes and unreturned voting slips in the last general election.

She said some of them were too shy to ask for advice and some did not even know how a voting slip looked like.

Rafidah, who was speaking to reporters at a gathering of 2,000 Wanita members from Umno and other BN component parties here yesterday, added that other reasons for spoilt votes included protest against the candidate for not being from the area.

In the 2004 elections, there were 164,906 spoilt votes and unreturned ballot slips nationwide.

Rafidah said the matter was serious and needed to be addressed, especially in areas where the majority was less than the number of spoilt votes such as the Johor state seat, Bentayan, where BN won with a 428-vote majority.

The number of spoilt votes and unreturned slips there was 676.

I have seen for myself ballots with all the parties marked, people writing their votes at the back of the slips, drawing the party symbols on the ballot paper, making cancellations on the paper or even taking it back home as they do not know where to place it, she said.

Asked whether this was a rural or urban problem, she said it was a problem everywhere.

On the new Wanita Umno faces for the coming general election, she said: We have not even looked at it yet.

At the moment I want to ensure the machinery on the ground does its work. That is most important. The candidate list can be done in one day,

I have seen for myself ballots with all the parties marked, people writing their votes at the back of the slips, drawing the party symbols on the ballot paper, making cancellations on the paper or even taking it back home as they do not know where to place it, she said.

Do they actually get to see the ballots? In this case, they will know who vote for who lor?? :shock:

I worry about these voters’ choice.

If they cannot cast a proper vote (or even know what they are doing) how in the world would they know who is the better candidate? :shock:

[quote=“Geekguy”] I worry about these voters’ choice.

If they cannot cast a proper vote (or even know what they are doing) how in the world would they know who is the better candidate? :shock:[/quote]

True enuf… worst is ppl do not know who to go for… but keep in mind, some is just wanted to be in the vote… to register and get out of trouble… i understand if not mistaken, all Malaysian citizens above 18 ( not sure exactly )… must go register and Vote…Am I right? :shock:

no eyes c this time voting…
i can felt that somethings will happen… :roll: :roll: :roll:
thats why the fuel price not raise yet… :wink:

the price is likely to rise sooner or later hehe…