Studying in the U.S

I attended a university in Colorado, U.S.A. from 1991 to 1996 and have lived and worked in the U.S. ever since graduation. If you wonder what it would be like studying in the U.S., feel free to drop me an email. I was born and raised in Miri till 18.

cnjong@rochester.rr.com

Hi cnj, welcome to the forums.

Must be nice to be living in the US. How’s it working out for you?

First of all, this looks like a nicely put together site. Hope you get tonnes of traffic and cha ching for your effort!!

When I left for the U.S. for the first time, I didn’t have the benefit of getting first hand information from anyone living over here. So I thought I would make myself available to help out. I live in Rochester, NY which is butting against the southern border of Canada. I’m sure you have heard of Niagara Falls and Toronto. Rochester is about 1.5 hours drive from Niagara Falls. We of course get a lot of snow. Just this past week, we had 24 inches of snow in just one day. Last week, the thermometer dropped way down to -25 degrees Fahrenheit and kids had to stay home for a couple of days (because the school buses wouldn’t start!! and just plain dangerous to be out there for any length of time). One town to the east of us called Oswego had more than 100 inches of snow in a short time! Anyway, snow storms come and go, much like the rain storms in Miri. We’re just hoping that when my third child comes in a couple of weeks that the weather cooperates. It’s too nerve wrecking to take a pregnant wife and a couple of kids in the car, skidding and sliding to the hospital!

Hi CNJong, Welcome to Miricom.

I have always admire and feeling jeolous for those who have left Miri and rooted there in US. Thanx for offering your help and concern for those who is interested.

I have a close cousin living in US - Charlotte. I’m planning to find a job in US after reading that H1B visa quota will be increased by another half. While at the same time, I wish to go for more professional studies into computer internetworking technologies like those certification offered by CISCO and open-source-ware…(plz image how badly I wish I am there but I’m still stuck in Miri)

My question, should I persue F1B or H1B visa based on my scenario? How likely will I be accepted by US company/sponsor in networking field with just a local NCC diploma while owning a Microsoft Certified Credential? I’m not an Indian therefore I fear that the chances are very slim for me to get H1B visa, and I do not wish to attend US university due to lack of capital to engage university life.

I just read that US FBI just caught a 45 years old korean who trade fake H1B visa. How do I prevent myself from being the victim? (Maybe I should avoid Chinaman company…:slight_smile:

Hi Huasing,

A immigration attorney can better address your questions about a U.S. visa. I was on J1 (undergraduate - Bachelor’s), F1(post graduate - Master’s), H1B (work permit) and then green card (not actually “green!!”). You definitely want to do it legally. In general, higher academic credentials will make the process easier. I am married to a U.S. citizen, so I took the easy route. When I was on H1B, I had already started my permanent residency application through work but it was later abandoned after marriage. Many people think that the permanent residency status comes automatically when one is married to a citizen. Not so. You still need to go through the immigration process. If you are looking to go for an H1B, at the minimum you may want to first get a university degree (hopefully in an area of high demand) in the U.S… I am not sure how far IT certifications can take you. Don’t think that you always have to fund your education yourself. I was involved in teaching assistantship and that got me through graduate school. I even received monthly stipend and it enough to cover living expenses.

As a matter of fact, you can try this site, they even pay
for your fare if you get selected!

http://usafis.org/

Good luck to anyone trying this out! I wanted to but going
without a picture and plan would be hell man.

SaM