Strange Things That Happen At Offshore Installations

The pipe that went down into the resevoir is about 1 feet in diameter, I havent heard of a bolt that large being used for drilling. Even if it is long enough to get stuck across the radius of the pipe, fluid should flow freely because there is still a large open space.

Updated

For more info on wells, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_well

Interesting thread, pls keep updating it. I personally have my own personal encounter with the earthbound spirits…
But, not as interesting as what you told me. :wink:
So, I will just do the reading. Haha.
By the way, I heard of the stories about that white monkey also.
But it’s not at the oil rigs. it’s my uncle’s story, he’s a fisherman…
So, I guess it’s really true after all.
I cant think of any explanations for anything paranormal like this.

these are so cool…my father used to go off shore last tiem…he also ever experience stuff…the lights he ever told me…those flashing lights…and also one that is freaky,the platform has like 2 areas…and on side is un inhabitated…but sum1 ever call him or shout from the uninhabitated section o.O…i dunno whr the platform is lah,nor what it looks like…i ony understand that there are 2 seperate sections hehe…so dont ask me whr hoho…lights flashing out from the sea oso got…dunno if boat lah so…haha…u get my point…

I think the platform your dad described has two main areas connected by a bridge: the drilling area & the production area with a weather shelter.
A colleague of mine has also worked in these types of platform, usually is the drilling area that is uninhabited (& dark, oso). That’s why it’s creepy, especially if you work alone at night. And unsafe, too.

the Sea Runs in Mysterious ways…

ghost stories in offshore…

U guys heard the pontianak caught in Bandar Semariang Baru?It’s in Eastern Times last Monday…anyone got a copy…i have the photo but it from other forum…

I think the Sea is the most ‘dirtiest/keras’ area…everytime they caught unnatural thingy…they throw in the sea…

Apai_Mau,

Try to get some real photos, okay?

wow… all this story will scare off our fellow community friends from planning to work offshore la… hahaha…

to me… it is all depends on individual la… if u take it as a real thing or just another story. I am taking it as another story la… coz if I have to take it seriously, I m afraid that I will be impaired and cannot continue working…hahaha… :lol: :lol:

Lucky those dirty stuff… me no see la… but big big fishes…see a few liaw la… nurse shark, manta ray ( big- as big as a car ) in Andaman sea and also tiger shark… Now onli can see monkeys, lizards, crocodiles,spiders and nyamuk(s)…hahaha… 8)

[quote=“smallee”]wow… all this story will scare off our fellow community friends from planning to work offshore la… hahaha…

to me… it is all depends on individual la… if u take it as a real thing or just another story. I am taking it as another story la… coz if I have to take it seriously, I m afraid that I will be impaired and cannot continue working…hahaha… :lol: :lol:

Lucky those dirty stuff… me no see la… but big big fishes…see a few liaw la… nurse shark, manta ray ( big- as big as a car ) in Andaman sea and also tiger shark… Now onli can see monkeys, lizards, crocodiles,spiders and nyamuk(s)…hahaha… 8)[/quote]

I thing the story that Apai_Mau told us is making me “naik Bulu” what more to go offshore the next trips … Apu …Parai kitai :wink: :wink: :wink:

I’d love to encounter one.

Apai_Mau,

I think if u korek2 from ur senior worker sure many stories to share…

yeah…promote…who knows they might contribute in here too…

[quote=“chilskater”]Apai_Mau,

I think if u korek2 from ur senior worker sure many stories to share…[/quote]

A new story narrated from my senior colleague. But this is more towards natural occurences. Still sound strange, though…

Case 5: Python

A crew going to one of the satellite platforms in Baram Delta operations encountered something unexpected when they approached the boat landing stage.

A large python was found lying on the boat landing stage. Possibly 5 metres long.

Some variations of the ending:

1. The boat turned back. The whole crew feared bad luck will happen as a hunting trip does because of a python in the path.

2. They called in 3rd party (possibly some croc catcher) to catch the snake; they dont want to injure the poor thing.

3. They just threw the poor thing away into the sea.

4. They killed the poor thing, & eat it.

The most logical explanation would be that the python became a stowaway on board logs that fell from the logging barge on Baram river. Eventually these logs flow out of Baram river into the sea where the snake might swim its way to the platform, some 20 kilometres away.

Apart from snakes, there were also accounts of other not-supposed-to-be creatures on board such as monitor lizard, bees etc.

Maybe that’s how Case 1 happened, provided that there are white glowing monkeys in the jungles of borneo.

Case 6: Balls of light

(This is just one of the numerous accounts of strange happenings involving strange lights)

Two platform operators working night shift made their usual rounds on a platform at North Sabah sea operations.

There was a particular area where an old diesel generator was housed. It hasnt been for quite some time & was about to be decommisioned.

Insufficient lighting persists in that generator shelter, due to faulty junction box for the lighting system.

When approaching the shelther, the two personnel saw the building suddenly got illuminated. This is surprising to them since all this while the place is dark & nobody goes there often. They decided to investigate.

They saw two balls of light moving in random directions, about the size of a basketball. It was unusually cold in that area, and the two men became extremely nervous. They can see ppl’s face grinning inside the balls of light.

They hurried back to the dog house (temporary shelter) & locked the doors, knewing that something unnatural has happened.

Again, cigarettes saved their sanity (alcoholic drinks & drugs are not allowed at offshore, so we are left with only one option). Dunno how many sticks they smoke, though :wink:

Bukan polong ke tu… :twisted:

I wonder why they send a polong to an old engine shack…Makes me curious :?

Ball lightning. Looks like I’m the only Dana Scully around here heh.

my father ever told me about the balls of light too…the possiblity of it being a ball lightning is quite low i suppose ian…but still there hehe

Case 7: Whirlpools out of nowhere

(I personally do not think this particular story is paranormal, there is a more natural exlanation to it)

One platform at Sarawak Operations encountered this strange phenomenon.

The sea was calm, placid & there were no obvious signs of strong sea currents. The weather was sunny.

Two contractor staff & a SSB operator were working on a boat landing stage when they saw a whirlpool measuring 1m in diameter spinning around in random directions.

They were fascinated by the somehow “natural” phenomena, it lasted for about half an hour.

Despite the fact that they knew the place has a notorious past. A boat captain has previously drowned in that particular spot a few years back during a flawed boat transfer.

They ignored it, as if nothing has happened.

Info on whirlpools: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlpool

How can a whirlpool form without currents & tides of any kind?

[quote=“Apai_Mau”]
They saw two balls of light moving in random directions, about the size of a basketball. [/quote]

[quote=“Wikipedia”]
Ball lightning reportedly takes the form of a short-lived, glowing, floating object often the size and shape of a basketball…sometimes as moving randomly…[/quote]

The similarities are there, I don’t see why the ‘chances are low’ it is ball lightning.

As for the whirlpool - fascinating.

Case 8: Torpedoes???

From Sabah Operations.

A anchor handling boat used for towing barges encountered fluorescent torpedo-like things while on standby. Incident occured around 2 am.

Crewmen on board including the captain saw the 2-metre long objects gliding underneath the sea surface at high speed. The sighting lasted for 5 minutes before they disappear.

Can an electric eel produce such effect? Or is there any electric eel that lives in the sea?