Strange Things That Happen At Offshore Installations

I saw a thread on ghost stories from miri (http://www.miricommunity.net/viewtopic.php?t=1529), but since offshore weird happenings are quite unique, I decided to create a new post instead.

Case 1: The white monkey

This one’s happened at Petronas’ Baram Delta operations a few years ago. If you travel along the baram highway you can see several oil platforms in the horizon; those platforms belong to them.

Usually they operate daily; they travel to these platforms by ship, 6 am to 6 pm.

One night there was an emergency shutdown on one of these jacket platforms and startup of the platform was required. So the management decided to send a crew to the platform in order to resume it’s production.

Upon reaching the platform, one of the senior guys on board (the supervisor) saw a monkey-like thing swinging on one of the beams at the platform. He called his men on the deck, and everyone saw it (just to make sure he was not dreaming). Since it was quite a distance from the shore it is totally absurd that a monkey can swim all the way from the jungle 15 kilometres away.

Then the supervisor told the boat captain to turn back. Later he explained in his report: rough sea conditions prevent crew from climbing up the platform.

The white monkey allegedly emitted a fluorescent white glow, some guys who saw the thing knew what it was: “hantu air” or water goblin.

Case 2: Red silk cloth

This one’s happened at my workplace. One guy was working alone at the drilling platform, opening a valve. It was in the wee hours of the morning.

As he opened the valve, a red silk cloth about 6 feet long came out of the opening and glided gently, away from his working area.

He was shocked but managed to keep his cool, quickly closed back the valve & hurried across the platform to the smoking room.

He still hold the record of finishing one fresh box of Dunhill in one go until today (equivalent to 20 sticks).

My platform is notorious for having 2 fatalities back in the 1980’s. One died of heart attack, another one died a violent death.

I will continue updating this particular thread.

Interesting stories.

The white monkey - couldn’t it be glow of lightning-like static or something? (I read about this in sea-fairing stories - where lightning or weird light phenomenons are explained. I couldn’t remember the name of that phenomenon, but has to do with electrical or static. That might also explain the shut down)

The reason for shutdown was not due to any electrical discharge of any kind, since the instrumentation on board was a primitive instrument air type. The oil wells tripped due to lack of hydraulic oil pressure holding down the subsurface valves below the sea bed.

The weird thing is that none of the fire & gas detection system was activated, in other words no fire on board.

There are numerous accounts of weird sightings at offshore also attributed to glowing lights, maybe there is some truth on what you’ve mentioned.

Case 3: Glowing rotor blades???

North Sabah Sea operations has the most share of unusual happenings. This one is experienced by an old timer working with me:

A standby boat, (name witheld), was anchoring at a location when the crew on board spotted strange lights appearing beneath the sea surface at night.

The captain saw it and later described it as “5 lines of light like a rotor blade of a chopper, spinning”.

The sighting occured for about 4 minutes before it mysteriously vanished.

Upon checking of the ship’s coordinates, the crew found a grim truth: the place where they were anchoring was the site where a helicopter belonging to Carigali crashed, killing all on board (happened about 10 years ago).

Hie … scary to hear that… The story will definitely hauted me the trips I go to work … :wink: :wink: :wink:

daniel7575, is that west alliance in the 2nd pic?

Not trying to be myth-busting or party spoiler or anything - even though I have experienced weird occurances before, I will try to find facts and before believing in anything. Though scary as it may be - why is it that a helicopter has a spirit or returns as a ghost? The crew could be very well seeing glowing fungi and imagining it rotating, and upon checking out its coordinates, put the two and two together.

I like to refer to this as connecting the dots backwards - it’s there, you just connect it together believe it.

A good example is that there was one incident somewhere in west Malaysia, where there were reports of a ghost sighting at a tree at the petrol station. Then connections were quickly made that it was due to ghosts from a nearby cemetery, ironically.

It’s not that I don’t believe in these things, just that a lot of these can be quickly debunked.

Should Be … if I’m not mistaken, BARAM DELTA, Taken on my way back via daily crew ship…

[quote=“ian”]Not trying to be myth-busting or party spoiler or anything - even though I have experienced weird occurances before, I will try to find facts and before believing in anything. Though scary as it may be - why is it that a helicopter has a spirit or returns as a ghost? The crew could be very well seeing glowing fungi and imagining it rotating, and upon checking out its coordinates, put the two and two together.

I like to refer to this as connecting the dots backwards - it’s there, you just connect it together believe it.

A good example is that there was one incident somewhere in west Malaysia, where there were reports of a ghost sighting at a tree at the petrol station. Then connections were quickly made that it was due to ghosts from a nearby cemetery, ironically.

It’s not that I don’t believe in these things, just that a lot of these can be quickly debunked.[/quote]

Yup I do agree with you, there must be some logical & rational explanations why these events occur. I seriously dont believe that a helicopter has a soul.

Updated
I will not post weird happenings at offshore anymore cos’ Im saving some more for tomorrow as well. 3 cases are enough for the day.

But, I do feel erieee…sometimes, especially when I am alone… :? :? :? At work site …

[quote=“Apai_Mau”]
Updated
I will not post weird happenings at offshore anymore cos’ Im saving some more for tomorrow as well. 3 cases are enough for the day.[/quote]

Looking forward for more. The red silk one was really unexplainable though. (unless you want to go to lengths about how some wind picked up someone’s laundry from shore and blew it there)… :wink:

How is one going to explain the presence of a red silk cloth inside a wellhead?

Just an Idea, Posibility that the guy have been in offshore for too long already … or else it could be true… :wink: :wink:

Glowing white monkey brought it there?

I accidentally edited your message by mistake instead of clicking on ‘quote’. Hope you don’t mind. My bad. Forgot how it went so I tried putting it back as much as it originally was as I could.

I thought it was a ghost that edited my message hehehe :slight_smile:

I used to go offshore on rigs and platform to install some satelite based internet access and service a VSAT unit at “enscore” off the coast of sabah…
I heard a lot of stories too concerning this…definately stories worth looking into…do post more Apai_Mau…

I agree - it’s an interesting read. Apai_Mau, do share more - its interesting to know supernatural stuff do happen off-shore. :smiley:

I will post the last case for today. Will continue update tomorrow.

Case 4: The well that refused to flow

After drilling operations, the wireline team will carry out inspection on the well, usually by inserting tools into the downhole using special wires, hence the term wireline.

This particular case happened in the Baram Delta area, where a newly completed well happened not to flow.

So the wireline team was called to troubleshoot the problem. After ensuring that all the valves were opened (including the subsurface valves below the sea bed), they inserted their tools.

But it appeared that the tools they were trying to insert could not enter beyond the sea bed level (they have means to measure their equipment’s depth). After a thorough check they tried again, & failed.

Worse still, when they opened ALL the corresponding valves of the well to check for blockage, no oil came out.

The supervisor in charge suspected something unnatural at work, therefore asked for a shipment of a goat to be sent to the platform. He was a very experienced operator for the Baram Delta oil platforms & knew the area all too well.

Following the rites, the goat was sacrificed, & the blood was poured on the wellhead & into the sea.

Then they were able to make the well producing oil. The wireline tool was able to go beyond the subsurface valve.

There were accounts of sacrifices being made before a platform was constructed offshore. Usually the blood of a goat or a rooster was splashed on the legs of the platform before it was embedded on the ocean floor. Sounds familiar?

The local term for this particular phenomenon is “tanah keras”.

Interesting read apai_mau, especially the fouth case.

I heard about hte story (Case 4) too. Seems like it was pretty wide spread, though there were variations in the one I heard. From what I heard, it was a stuck bolt that refused to move no matter what kind of heavy torque machinery was used, it would not budge.