StarGazing Hobby

Anyone in miri here is a star gazer? Wanna look for geng, and share experience!

Took this picture the other day as well, just to share.

u sure or not? man… lumix dmc fs4 can see saturn???

[quote=“SmellyFish”]Anyone in miri here is a star gazer? Wanna look for geng, and share experience!

Took this picture the other day as well, just to share.[/quote]

Yes, Me here have been for many years. I got 2 other friends also stargazers.

dmc fs4 alone can’t see it. but he also stated a Vixen R130F telescope! :wink:

I have a Vixen VMC95L, hasn’t had much chance to use it yet.

wow got stargazers in miri?
how much for a cheap telescope and where to buy?
and where to stargaze in miri? XD

[quote=“lasting99”][quote=“SmellyFish”]Anyone in miri here is a star gazer? Wanna look for geng, and share experience!

I have a Vixen VMC95L, hasn’t had much chance to use it yet.[/quote]

Awesome picture bro! Its the milky way amiright? haha.

Where do you guys always stargaze? Can’t seem to find a safe and dark place to view the sky… Any good suggestion?

yeah,lasting99 is the right guy.when I knew him twenty over years ago,he already started…

[quote=“lasting99”][quote=“SmellyFish”]Anyone in miri here is a star gazer? Wanna look for geng, and share experience!

I have a Vixen VMC95L, hasn’t had much chance to use it yet.[/quote]

i c i c :)… when u guys organising a trip, i’ll see if i can join

wads the budget to start such hobby? :slight_smile: i only got Lumix GF3 :frowning:

Hello… Back from Thai already? I’ll call u tomorrow regarding tank refill.

[quote=“SmellyFish”]

Where do you guys always stargaze? Can’t seem to find a safe and dark place to view the sky… Any good suggestion?[/quote]

Yup, centre of milkyway and pipe nebula. I prefer to go to tusan cliff near berkenu. It is dark enough there and little mosquitos there. If you all like, i’ll organised one later (after waning moon) if weather good. Would you all be interested?

[quote=“infrasonic”]wow got stargazers in miri?
and where to stargaze in miri? XD[/quote]

For the start, all you need is a good Astronomy book (like Nightwatch and light-hearted astronomy) and learn about our sky 1st. Telescope price can range anywhere from RM500 to RM50,000/- but for casual astronomers, i would say invest in something around RM1000/- is good enough. I myself use binocular most of the time.
Refer to this site for more details, i bought a few stuffs from him before.
http://www.perseid.com.my/C/Products
http://www.amazon.ca/NightWatch-Practic … 1552093026
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/1 … +astronomy

Hello… Back from Thai already? I’ll call u tomorrow regarding tank refill.

[quote=“SmellyFish”]

Where do you guys always stargaze? Can’t seem to find a safe and dark place to view the sky… Any good suggestion?[/quote]

Yup, centre of milkyway and pipe nebula. I prefer to go to tusan cliff near berkenu. It is dark enough there and little mosquitos there. If you all like, i’ll organised one later (after waning moon) if weather good. Would you all be interested?

[quote=“infrasonic”]wow got stargazers in miri?
and where to stargaze in miri? XD[/quote]

For the start, all you need is a good Astronomy book (like Nightwatch and light-hearted astronomy) and learn about our sky 1st. Telescope price can range anywhere from RM500 to RM50,000/- but for casual astronomers, i would say invest in something around RM1000/- is good enough. I myself use binocular most of the time.
Refer to this site for more details, i bought a few stuffs from him before.
http://www.perseid.com.my/C/Products
http://www.amazon.ca/NightWatch-Practic … 1552093026
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/1 … +astronomy[/quote]

Chip me in your trip! I’ll be glad to follow along!

Due to Haze condition, I don’t know when we gonna have good viewing condition! But let’s keeps our hope high; tentative dates are(only fri & sat night I’m free):
5/6/12/13 July, 2/3/30/31 Aug, 1 Sept. (Sunday but hope Monday is a holiday!). Surely 1 or 2 of these night we can get to see it. If not then Miri sky really SUX!!! :mrgreen:

At the mean time, another photo of Milky-way here…

And this is the Venus Transit in 6th Jun, 2012.
Taken with my D5100 + Tamron 70-300mm + solar filter.

Beautiful pictures! <3

Can I join the stargazing trip? :smiley:

[quote=“hammit”]Beautiful pictures! <3

Can I join the stargazing trip? :D[/quote]

yes. the more the merrier! :smiley:

[quote=“lasting99”]Due to Haze condition, I don’t know when we gonna have good viewing condition! But let’s keeps our hope high; tentative dates are(only fri & sat night I’m free):
5/6/12/13 July, 2/3/30/31 Aug, 1 Sept. (Sunday but hope Monday is a holiday!). Surely 1 or 2 of these night we can get to see it. If not then Miri sky really SUX!!! :mrgreen:

At the mean time, another photo of Milky-way here…[/quote]

Oh My God…

I think i know where the place is, beautiful picture!

I am new to this night sky photography, since tonight we don’t have electricity.

i took the chance to snap some pictures.

What will cause the line of light in my 1rd picture? i don’t understand…i don’t think bug will illuminate bright like that…

I didn’t notice the sky is clear tonight. My area near sebakas here sky fill with black smoke because there was a house fire at piasau jaya. :frowning:

Awww… hope everyone is alright at Piasau Jaya. It was such a shame that last night sky wasn’t clear cause all the city lights were out >_<

Wow this is a very cool hobby…it requires location of total darkness is it?

yup… Dark & Cloudless & Haze-less and Moonless… which is hard to find in Miri :frowning:

I’m thinking of giving it a go on tomorrow night (Saturday) and Sunday night. Anyone interested to join?
No guaranty of success but this hobby is always “hit” or “miss” type of game.