Star reprimanded ove BM Bible story

Today Star,

Wednesday March 16, 2011
The Star reprimanded over BM Bible story

PETALING JAYA: The Home Ministry has issued a letter of reprimand to The Star over an article on the impounding of 5,000 Bahasa Malaysia Bibles.

The letter, dated March 2011, was addressed to group chief editor Datuk Seri Wong Chun Wai on the article, published on March 9.

On the same day, a senior editor from the daily met officials from the ministry over the issue and the ministrys comments were published the next day. In the letter, the ministrys chief secretary Datuk Zaitun Abdul Samad reminded owners of printing presses to comply with directives from the ministry, a s stipulated under the Printing Presses and Publications Act 1984.

Under items six and seven of the conditions of printing permits issuance, permit holders are required to observe instructions released by the ministry from time to time, Zaitun said.

The March 9 article reported that 5,000 Bahasa Malaysia Bibles confiscated by the Home Ministry in 2009 have yet to be returned despite the Cabinet approving their release.

Minister Datuk Seri Hishammudd in Hussein explained on Sunday that the Bibles were impounded because of a pending court appeal by The Herald, the Malaysian Catholic weekly, over the use of the word Allah in its publication.

Related Story:
Govt lifts Bible impound

Reprimanded for telling the truth ?.. Hidup the LITTLE “Malaysia Press freedom” we have :frowning:

Today Star.

Wednesday March 16, 2011
Govt lifts Bible impound
By P. ARUNA and LEE YEN MUN

PETALING JAYA: The Government has decided to release the 35,000 copies of the Bibl e which we re impounded at Port Klang and Kuching Port when they were imported from Indonesia.

Minister in the Prime Ministers Department Datuk Seri Idris Jala s aid the release was in line with the 1982 gazette under the Internal Security Act, which allows limited and controlled importation and circulation of Bibles in Bahasa Malaysia, which must be stamped For Christians Only.

After a thorough review, the Attorney-General has confirmed that the release of the Bibles does not prejudice the ongoing court case of the Kalimah Allah issue, he said in a statement yesterday.

On Sunday, Home Minister Datuk Seri Hisham muddin Hussein had said that the impoundment of the Bibles at Port Klang and Kuching Port was because of the pending court appeal by The Herald, the Malaysian Catholic weekly, over the use of the word Allah in its publication. The issue has kicked up a storm among Christian groups in the country, which had appealed for the Bibles to be released.

Jala said the Government was committed to resolving inter-faith issues amicably through dialogues and discussions in view of the countrys multi-religious nature.

The minister, a Christian from Sarawak, has been liaising with the Christian Federation of Malaysia (CFM) on behalf of the Government over the issue.

This is a reasonable compromise in managing the polarities of views between Christians and Muslims in the country, Jala added.

The 30,000 copies of the Bible were confiscated at the Kuching Port on Jan 12 while a previous shipment of 5,000 Bibles, known as the Alkit ab, were impounded in Port Klang in March 2009.

MCA president Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek, in welcoming the A-Gs decision, reiterated that the Governm ent should be firm in showing its commitment to religious freedom. He said the issue which had created uneasiness among the people should not be allowed to drag on.

Since Bahasa Malaysia is a medium of instruction, more people and more Christians will use Bahasa Malaysia to read the Bible, he pointed out.

Malaysian Christians expressed relief that the controversy had come to a close. Council of Churches of Malaysia general-secretary Rev Dr Herman Shastri said the Government had acted promptly on the matter.

We still maintain that it is the right of Christians to read their scriptures in Bahasa Malaysia, as it is their inalienable right guaranteed by Article 11 of the Federal Constitution, he added.

He, however, disagreed that the Bahasa Malaysia Bibles be circulated in the country with the For Chri stians Only stamp.

If it is gazette under the ISA then why impound, was it a decision made by the so called little Napoleans?.

What if I’m a non-muslim of other faith and wants to read the bible for knowledge and understanding but is stamped “For Christian Only”. Am I committing an offence? Food for thought.

Friend, not only committing offense, you could also be charge under ISA for being a national threat then thrown down from 30 storeys building or blown up with C4… you’re in bolehland right?

It shows that how insecure the people are, if their faith in their own religion is strong, then shouldn’t be scared lah.

Now they agree to release it maybe due to the coming State election, what about next time?
Are they gonna guarantee that they will not impound the Bible again?

Gosh…never thought of that. Not so worried about Kamunting, they serve curry rice. I don’t like height and certainly don’t like being blown into pieces. I guess I’ll be just like any boys would do…curi curi read to my heart content.

Gosh…never thought of that. Not so worried about Kamunting, they serve curry rice. I don’t like height and certainly don’t like being blown into pieces. I guess I’ll be just like any boys would do…curi curi read to my heart content.[/quote]

stay1, i hope reading the bible with iphone or other smartphones won’t get caught by i-s-a. our government and its “anak-anak” are getting nuts day by day.

It’s not the bible that worries me in iphone or other smartphones, it’s the other ‘adult’ stuff that might just “happen” to be in the phones when checked. That will make the nuts go nutty.

looks like we are going back wards in terms of human rights. those sitting on the top is a threat to the country

Today Star,

Thursday March 17, 2011
Questions over released Bible

KUALA LUMPUR: The Home Ministry has written to the Bible Society of Malaysia (BSM) and the Sarawak branch of the global Christian group, The Gideons, to collect the 35,000 impounded copies of the Bible from Port Klang and Kuching port.

The ministrys Publications Control and Quranic text division secretary Datuk Zaitun Ab Samad said letters were sent to the two bodies yesterday with certain conditions.

She was quoted by a news portal as saying that the letters were issued following the Governments decision on Wednesday to release the Bibles, or AlKitab (the Malay name for the Bible).

The two Christian bodies however expressed unhappiness with the conditions and are seeking clarification with the authorities.

The BSM, which confirmed receiving the letter at 6pm, issued a statement expressing reservations over the ministry printing certain words on some of the Bibles.

It urged the ministry to stop stamping the copies detained at Port Klang, saying that they had an agreement with the ministry on Dec 22, 2005 to allow Christians to print themselves the sign of the Cross and the words Penerbitan Kristian (Christian publication).

The BSM said the ministry had instead stamped the words AlKitab Berita Baik ini untuk kegunaan penganut agama Kristian sahaja (The Good News Bible is for the use of Christians only).

It also said the ministry wanted serial numbers printed and an official ministry stamp on the holy books.

Minister in the Prime Ministers Department Datuk Seri Idris Jala had announced on Tuesday the Governments decision to release 35,000 copies of the Bible, which he said was in accordance with the Internal Security Act allowing the limited and controlled import and circulation of Bibles in Bahasa Malaysia which must be stamped For Christians Only.

Sarawakian church leaders have instructed the consignee not to collect the copies stored at the ministrys office as they wanted a clarification on the conditions imposed.

Meanwhile, the Christian Federation of Malaysia will meet today to discuss and decide on their next course of action.

Its executive secretary Elder Tan Kong Beng said a statement would be issued later as they were still deliberating on the matter.

At the Parliament lobby, Minister in the Prime Ministers Department Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz said the Cabinet needed to discuss the copies being held at Port Klang because of a prohibition in Selangors Islamic laws.

In Selangor and other states of Peninsular Malaysia, besides Penang and the Federal Territories, there is still an enactment that prohibits the use of (the word) Allah by non-Muslims, the de facto law minister added.

He said the release of the copies of the Bibles in Port Klang would also be sub judice, as the Attorney-Generals appeal on the use of the word Allah in non-Muslim publications was still pending in the Court of Appeal.

So the released of the Bibles comes with 2 conditions namely a stamp “For Christian only” and serial number for each Bible must be included. Where are all the Christian ministers? All in silent mode. :evil:

Does it help if we change Al-kitab to El-kitab? and Allah to Halla?

Actually, if you are arrested under ISA you can fight in court based on the constitution which will overwrite ISA or rather making the ISA and NEP “law” null and void!

sure u can. but u’re oredi been lock up in kamunting. ISA is to lock u up first, talk later

Hey Datuk Zaitun Ab Samad does this mean as a non muslim I’m not supposed to read the Quran? How are you going to convert me?

One thing… you and the rest of your paranoid, despotic government ain’t going to stop me reading anything I want to read.