Spooky tales of headless 'pontianak' in oil town

Source: http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=22452

Sunday, July 29th, 2007

Spooky tales of headless pontianak in oil town

MIRI: Rumours about sightings of pontianak - a mythical Malaysian version of a female vampire -have been spreading like wildfire in certain parts of Tudan near here in recent days.

Despite claims of sightings of the so-called pontianak said to be headless, the police here say they are yet to receive any report.

Weve not received any report on pontianak from the public, Miri police chief ACP Abang Abdillah Abang Othman told thesundaypost when contacted for comments.

If they were any official report, he said, the police would investigate accordingly.

He urged the public to stop spreading rumours that could cause fear and anxiety, warning they could be arrested for that under Section 292 of the Penal Code.

It was said many residents of a housing estate in Permyjaya did not dare to go out at night in the past one month or so after hearing news of alleged sightings of pontianak in the area.

A resident Zaiton Abdullah claimed a fellow resident in the area told her recently that she saw a ghost - pontianak - in white clothes on top of a tree in the vicinity of their housing estate.

The resident said she saw the ghost standing on a tree as she peered out of the window one night, Zaiton said.

According to her, the pontianak story started after the death of a pregnant woman in an ambulance while on the way to the hospital for delivery.

The resident said it was further claimed that the womans body disappeared while the funeral rites were performed and the items left were the white cloth used to wrap the body and long finger nails.

Another resident, Zaidi, 35, said he had heard of people saying the pontianak would normally be seen past 11pm.

There is also another story which claimed the pontianak started appearing after a human body was found inside a dustbin.

Following the emergence of the spooky tales, a number of people were seen hanging lime tree thorns at the entrance of their houses.

Some communities believe that ghosts fear lime tree thorns and thus would not enter houses where they are displayed.

About 10 years ago, there was also a rumour about a ghost in purdah or veil.

The ghost, it was claimed, was a woman who died after she broke certain pantang or taboos.

In order to gain back her power she was said to have gone around killing mercilessly, it was said, and that ghost it was claimed not only terrorised Miri but also Kuching and other parts of the State.

The rumour some how died naturally.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for the Miri Islamic Religious Department asked Muslims not to be influenced by the pontianak story, advising them to go about with their activities as usual.

He said there was no such thing as pontianak in Islam.

People tend to create visions of their own and relate them in various ways, he said.

You guys ever heard of the digital version of the pontianak? It roams the web-cyber-fishnet-world sucking up your computer processing power and… oh wait…

• Meanwhile, a spokesman for the Miri Islamic Religious Department asked Muslims not to be influenced by the pontianak story, advising them to go about with their activities as usual.

He said there was no such thing as pontianak in Islam.

People tend to create visions of their own and relate them in various ways, he said. -

this is islam? how bout the indonesian islam? they go out and search for pontianak…they believe in pontianak… but the islam department here dont believe?? wait they sendiri kena baru they know…

One good thing: Now the roads in Tudan area are safe to drive at night. Those irritating youngsters on motorbikes are no more.

This reminded me of the hantu purdah scare back in the 90’s, coincide with the emerging lepak phenomenon.

To date, i havent seen the pontianak yet. Or maybe it’s waiting for me at offshore…

if you see people start to disturb the peace in the quarter, you might hear rumours of pontianak everywhere. :smiley: whether onshore or offshore

well it wasn’t a suprise to hear those such of stories.cuz it’s too typical.Recently I heard one those thing at Permyjaya. Wat do i’ve heard from Permyjaya Residents they saw that thing flying on the sky around 7pm on Friday. Geess… that’s nasty…cause of existance of that thing is “orang mati beranak” and she was dissapeared from the coffin.

hey ian, stop spreading this la…later ppl believe and stop using internet. TM will be looking up for you… :lol: …(just joking)

this is so typical “kampung” mindset. not surprisingly happening in miri. that is y i say miri is not ready to become a city. even the press is following up on this stupid rumors. whr is their professionalism.

talking about cyber space (reminded by ian), once my parent was asking me not to use the internet at certain time because they heard if i was still on the net, viruses will get into my pc… :shock: …stupid…

even the press is following up on this stupid rumors. whr is their professionalism.

The press will follow up on whatever the people want to read about. Sometimes, people want to believe.

Let’s start a new rumor:-

I saw Elvis at the fishmarket. Spread the word.

I saw Elvis at the fishmarket. Spread the word.

He Was??? Which One?? :shock:

Definately the media had nothing else to put out these day’s.

hahaha…i think ppl around miri will prefer to search for Elvis at fishmarket compare to search for the “pontianak”…

Yeah… i saw Elvis in parkson watching movie then shopping in giant. Elvis might be haunting MiriCity now. Ian, the Elvis u saw and mine might be the same one. Reporters… go make a news bout this QUICK!!
ELVIS IS IN MIRI!!!

elvis in miri?
i tot i saw him at bintulu last week…
hahaha

apai mau:
offshore no ghost stories meh?
i heard from my colleague ada wor…
some1 saw somethg in a large vessel during vessel cleaning…
other saw gorilla-like hairy hand…
oh, dat must b mat salleh’s hands…

[quote=“haroldz”]elvis in miri?
i tot i saw him at bintulu last week…
hahaha

apai mau:
offshore no ghost stories meh?
i heard from my colleague ada wor…
some1 saw somethg in a large vessel during vessel cleaning…
other saw gorilla-like hairy hand…
oh, dat must b mat salleh’s hands…[/quote]

What? You mean that lazy hairy Mat Salleh is sleeping in the vessel again? Paid him RM10k a day just to have the RM50 local worker dragging him out from the vessel? 8)

Elvis said he might be showing up again tonight in Miri before going for boat fishing trip. :stuck_out_tongue:

Do u think d spooky story helps in reducing house break in lately???

hope it helps a lot… :lol:

or increase the house break in ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah…

I even heard about those
tales of ghost sightings were
actually Indons in ghost costumes
wanting to scare the people around…

Crazy… Can’t see any motive
other than for fun by doing that…

[b]Call the Ghostbusters :lol: :lol:

If there’s somethin’ strange in your neighborhood
Who ya gonna call (ghostbusters)
If it’s somethin’ weird an it won’t look good

I ain’t afraid a no ghost
If you’re seein’ things runnin’ thru your head
Who can you call (ghostbusters)
An’ invisible man sleepin’ in your bed
Oh who ya gonna call (ghostbusters)
If you’re all alone pick up the phone
An call (ghostbusters)

I hear it likes the girls
Who you gonna call (ghostbusters)
Mmif you’ve had a dose
Of a freaky ghost baby
You better call ghostbusters
Bustin’ makes me feel good
I ain’t afraid a no ghosts

Don’t get caught alone oh noghostbuster
When he comes through your door
Unless you’ve just got some more
I think you better call ghostbusters
Ooh… who you gonna call (ghostbusters)
Ah, I think you better call (ghostbusters)

I can’t hear you(ghostbusters)
Louder ghostbusters
Who you can call ghostbusters(till fade)[/b]