Something is amiss, says PM

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/5/22/nation/14313613&sec=nation

Monday May 22, 2006

Something is amiss, says PM

BY SA’ODAH ELIAS

SHARM EL-SHEIKH (Egypt): Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said he had sensed, even before the Sarawak state elections on Saturday, that the Barisan Nasional would be losing several seats.

I sensed there was something amiss, he told Malaysian journalists here but added that he did not want to talk about it publicly.

I can’t explain my feelings to the public but I will say them to Tan Sri Taib (Abdul Taib Mahmud), the Prime Minister said, before departing for Japan yesterday after attending the World Economic Forum here.

The ruling party tumbled in nine of the 71 seats it had contested in the just-completed polls. Six of the seats went to the DAP, while one each went to the Sarawak National Party, Parti Keadilan Rakyat and an Independent.

With its more than two-third majority, the Barisan is in a formidable position to form the state government.

The Prime Minister said because he had expected the Barisan to lose several seats, he was not surprised by the results.

I don’t want to say this, but I had anticipated that. Something was not right, something was quite wrong, said Abdullah, who is also Barisan chairman.

He said he had directed his deputy, Datuk Seri Mohd Najib Tun Razak, to carry out a post mortem on the results.

The fact that we lost nine seats is something that needed to be thoroughly studied. If there is a message, then what is the message?

Abdullah said Barisan needed to find out the reason why the people had rejected the coalition in many areas.

We need to know why the result, this time around, appeared as if the people were not for the Government.

In Kuching, Abdul Taib said the state Cabinet would be sworn in on Friday.

There will be no changes to the line-up and all members of the previous Cabinet will be retained, he told newsmen after being sworn in as Chief Minister.

Abdul Taib said new faces would be appointed later.

I will have to think about it very carefully. I will make the changes later on, he said.

Ahh, now he’s realized. ‘somethings amiss’. :roll: