Solar lighting diy solutions for modern home

RM632 is still quite expensive compared to using an 11w compact fluo tube powered by Sesco which emit about 4x more lumens.

yes.

if you are running 9W lighting for 12 hours per day 365 days a year,
that will be about 40kW per year

how much is sesco charging for 1kWh now? i don’t know because i never check my bill, my wife does that…
say rm1 per 1 kWh lah… that means it cost rm40 to run your 9W light for 12 hours per night for 365 nights per year.
your rm632 investment will take 15 years to recover the cost. and that’s without considering the need to change out your battery at least 3 times during that time…

of course, sesco charge is not going to stay the same for 15years lah… but you get the idea…

Sesco tariff is 34sen for the first 100 kwh and 29 sen for susequent 300kwh. There will also be additional cost for replacing the pv cells / solar panels say maybe every 15 yrs. Of course by using solar power you do less damage to our mother earth. Hopefully like lcd tvs, pv cells will get cheaper once they are more commonly used.

I found solar aircond offered here: http://www.alibaba.com/company/100244488.html
This is not fully powered by the sun, I think just using solar thermal energy as supplement to the system.
The idea was good, at least we can get the energy saving from there during daytime.

Of course solar thermal energy is more efficient compared to PV solar electric energy which only between 12-16%,
but the limitation for PV now is still the storage battery can’t last very long, just like how often you need to change your car battery (average 2-3years, if lucky then 3year++). Unless we use solar for day time fan cooling, then you just need a solar panel and a 12V fan. The fan speed will then follow the sun light intensity and not usable at night. :roll:

Ya, big solar energy system (>1KW) required huge 1st time investment and subsiquent mainatance for the battery.
Smaller basic lighting system like the one I have will be more practical, the LED intensity (200lm) is very high more than
enough for a small room. If you just need 50lm as night light, just reduce the current to the LED and you can have more rooms (3-4 maybe) lighted at the same time with the same amount of energy from the 16W DC solar lighting system. :wink:

[quote=“Amri”]Smaller basic lighting system like the one I have will be more practical, the LED intensity (200lm) is very high more than
enough for a small room. If you just need 50lm as night light, just reduce the current to the LED and you can have more rooms (3-4 maybe) lighted at the same time with the same amount of energy from the 16W DC solar lighting system. :wink:[/quote]

yes, i agree. esp for rural areas where affordable electric lightings is not available. LED is definitely better than oil, candle, or wood fire.

however, 50lm is not really good enough to work, or read with.