Singapore Traffic Police Sponsors Pro-Am Drift

It comes as a surprise that law enforcement agents would sponsor an act that is usually regarded as a nuisance. But the Singaporean Traffic Police seem to have a soft spot towards drifting and this was proven when they became the main sponsors for next months pro-am drift competition. In a move that will definately raise eyebrows the world over, the Deputy Superintendent has even described drifting as not all bad. Posted after the jump is the full article by The Straits Times. Hats off to the coppers down south but what are the chances of our traffic police sponsoring a drift competition? Close to never Im sure.

THEY are charged with maintaining law and order on Singapores roads. So it will come as a surprise to many that the Traffic Police are the main sponsors for next months pro-am drift contest - an activity many associate with young daredevils.

Drifting is not all bad, says Deputy Superintendent of Police Soh Wan Khuan, referring to a sport in which the driver intentionally oversteers, causing loss of traction through turns.

If done in a controlled environment where the drivers are fully aware of the rules and regulations governing their safety, drifting can be a safe but exciting sport, he said.

Video games like Need For Speed and movies such as The Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift have helped popularise drifting, especially among younger drivers.

This is exactly the group the Traffic Police hope to reach out to with the launch of this years Road Safety Outreach programme at the Formula Drift Pro-Am Series event on July 4 and 5.

The whole idea behind the sponsorship is to get the road safety message out effectively, DSP Soh said at yesterdays launch at Hotel Re! at Pearls Hill.

The drift event is a perfect occasion for maximising media exposure, he added, although the buzz generated by the Singapore Grand Prix last year was another factor.

The extreme motorsport of drifting debuted here last year and attracted around 11,000 fans to the race course at the Changi Exhibition Centre. It will be held at the same venue next month.

Last years contest featured 38 drivers, including top professionals such as New Zealands Mike Whiddet and eventual winner Ryuji Miki of Japan. This years event will feature 28 drivers from Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong.

Among them is Mr Ivan Lim, the Republics top performer last year when he qualified in 10th place. Said the 27-year-old, who has been drifting since 2005: It was a fantastic experience, and I am hoping to do better this time around, especially with the exposure I have received.

by Jonathan Wong of The Straits Times
Image Credits: SpeedHunters

aiyo…wish if PDRM can do like this too… :mrgreen:

LoL!!!.. if we have a track ok la…

bolevad they can use maa…rent lor…not only drift at track…as long the place big enough

i’m in singapore now, this morning asked my driver he said dunno… only know got F1 on sept… hahaha

Saw the ads, its true.

Johnny, my driver only tell me about bicycle and Ojek race :mrgreen:

boulevard?
too big le lah…
3rd gear no problem if fully empty…

boulevard there the tarmac very rough la. after few runs gotta change tyres alrdy.

Who noe 1 day v will c polices drift down from Canada Hill…
Just 4 fun… :mrgreen:

[quote=“DK Sparco”]Who noe 1 day v will c polices drift down from Canada Hill…
Just 4 fun… :mrgreen:[/quote]
LOL…using their Waja?Kancil?or X-trail??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Miri got drifting la…at Lutong Airport gua…that track veli veli long oo

[quote=“markko234”][quote=“DK Sparco”]Who noe 1 day v will c polices drift down from Canada Hill…
Just 4 fun… :mrgreen:[/quote]
LOL…using their Waja?Kancil?or X-trail??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Miri got drifting la…at Lutong Airport gua…that track veli veli long oo[/quote]
Using Evo-X imported from KL… :mrgreen:

wow

how about miri drifting? a lot lot of RWD cars but never went for rubber burning session. ive spotted fews only. =)