‘Sarawak’s peace, unity earn admiration of federal minister’

Danald (right) briefs Abang Johari on the main St Barnabas’ Church building during the latter’s visit to Taman Tunku.

MIRI: Sarawak’s formula to maintain peace and unity among its multi racial and religious community is trust, which has attracted the interest of Minister of Unity Datuk Halimah Mohamed Sadique, says Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg.

He said the minister had come to see him and his deputy Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas to find out the formula that Sarawak had been using to maintain the unity and peace among her people.

“One minister came from Kuala Lumpur to see us, Datuk Halimah who is in charge of unity, she wanted to learn from us. She met Uggah, (and) she met me.

“She wants to find what is the formula that Sarawak has. I said that the formula is simple – you trust each other,” he said in his short speech when visiting St Barnabas’ Church in Taman Tunku yesterday.

The chief minister added that Halimah had also asked if she could present the principle to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.

“Meaning, over there they also learn from us now. We must be proud of what we have. I am not saying this because of the pride – it is a question of coexistence,” he said.

During the visit, chairman of St Barnabas’ Church, Jeffery Ngau Uvang, requested Abang Johari to allocate additional fund for the main church building to accommodate the growing number of members.

“The overall cost is RM3.5 million but we have managed to raise about RM340,000, while the Unit for Other Religions (Unifor) has allocated RM250,000. We are still short of RM2.9 million,” said Jeffery.

The church also requested for a piece of land situated next to the church for it to build more parking lots.

To these, the chief minister promised that he would look into the requests.

“As far as the land is concerned, I will talk to Ripin (Lambir assemblyman Ripin Lamat) about the land.

“I think I agree since you have the complex here and that you serve the community here.

“We will look into it including your piece of land. What is important now is for us all, regardless of which religion you are in, to pray for the good of our country and our Sarawak that we develop together in peace and harmony,” he said.

Also present was Right Reverend Bishop Datuk Danald Jute.

The post ‘Sarawak’s peace, unity earn admiration of federal minister’ appeared first on Borneo Post Online.

Source: https://www.theborneopost.com/2020/08/27/sarawaks-peace-unity-earn-admiration-of-federal-minister/