Sarawak not being sold

By JACK WONG

KUCHING: Regional and international tour operators have stopped selling Sarawak packages because of continuing uncertainties over rural air services.

Sarawak Tourism Board chief executive officer Gracie Geikie said tour operators in Singapore, China, and countries in Europe and elsewhere had suspended Sarawak packages, especially those with Mulu National Park as one of the destinations.
[b]
We have received e-mails from tour operators in Germany, the Netherlands, Britain, Italy and the big inbound tour operators in Kuala Lumpur informing us that they are considering taking Mulu off their marketing brochures.

They are not selling the tour until all the travel-related issues are resolved, she told The Star yesterday.
[/b]
About 60% of the 30,000 visitors to Mulu every year are foreigners. Mulu is listed as a Unesco heritage site.

Geikie said some 820 European and Australian tourists bound for Kuching-Miri-Mulu in August and September had cancelled their bookings because of uncertainties surrounding the new airline Fly Asian Xpress (FAX) in handling the rural air services from next month.

Their cancellations were because the local tour operators could not give an assurance about refund policies on flight cancellation or delays, she said.

Geikie said foreign tourists normally made their travel plans months ahead, and that most of their bookings were multi-destination roundtrips of between 14 and 21 days.

She said Malaysia Airlines had removed rural air services from its global distribution system since it announced in May that it would stop offering them next month.

This has caused grave concern for overseas tour operators as they were unable to issue tickets from MAS. And, AirAsia, which will take over, has not given information on alternative purchase procedures.

Geikie said unlike MAS, AirAsia and FAX were not members of the International Air Transport Association.

Until today, we dont really know who FAX is. The airline has not given any formal explanation to the tourism industry on how it would operate the rural air services, she added

She said MAS should be allowed to continue operating the rural air services until FAX was prepared to offer seamless bookings.

Geikie said the board had submitted a paper to the state cabinet on matters related to MAS’ domestic rationalisation plan and its impact on tourism.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi … sec=nation

Thanks a lot, MAS. To think that the new CEO is from these areas, he’d have a better plan than to chop routes abruptly.

:evil:

Here’s an emerging pattern: To cut out tourists year by year.

1. Helicopters falling out of the sky (to tourists - bad weather = very risky)

2. Inability to get Shanghai flights to Miri because Miri Airport not up to standards (i.e. no 747 airwalk)

3. China girl strip & nude-squat incident, not in Miri exactly but Chinese trourists drop 50%.

4. Bruneian cars get targeted for theft = drop in Brunei customers

5. now MAS cancels flights and FAX isn’t recognised.

6. Miri is full of gangsters (Miri fight)

Whats next? 50 points to anyone who can correctly predict…

well at least Miri is not much gangster as Kuching do.

Kuching is a West Hollywood (full of plu)
Plus waterfront in Kuching they divided into three parts I mean the old one.
First part for those gangster, middle for gays,lesbian and those sissy, and the third one full of kiosk is for people like us not a gangster or something just normal.

One time say a gay couple hugging each other that time I was kind of suprise but for it’s normal. it’s their life. what do I care.

[quote=“ian”]Here’s an emerging pattern: To cut out tourists year by year.

1. Helicopters falling out of the sky (to tourists - bad weather = very risky)

2. Inability to get Shanghai flights to Miri because Miri Airport not up to standards (i.e. no 747 airwalk)

3. China girl strip & nude-squat incident, not in Miri exactly but Chinese trourists drop 50%.

4. Bruneian cars get targeted for theft = drop in Brunei customers

5. now MAS cancels flights and FAX isn’t recognised.

6. Miri is full of gangsters (Miri fight)

Whats next? 50 points to anyone who can correctly predict…[/quote]

7.“Girl Fights” start posted on Web to show tourist Females are the dominant ones

8.If children are raisde here and gets into fight might the incident might be swept under the rug like the rest of the so called “Minor” youth problem.

1. Get jail sentenced for not carrying your Mykad with you coz left at home

Business is business.

That is why it is important that we must allow change for us to be relevant to current times.

No such thing as “ignorant is a bliss” thingy.

KL and West M’sia has just about the same ugly and bad things like snatch thieves that end up with murder.

Promotion and PR is very important. Problem with Sarawak is that we are not aggressive with promoting and organising activities to attract market. When there is a demand, Sarawak can ask for more flights.

It’s a dog-eat-dog world out there. We must learn to compete or we’ll lose out.

My opinion.

When your infrastructure is executed every stupidly, it doesnt matter how you do your PR, it is those who actually came here and went back home to tell others how they feel about this place that will be the effective PR.

Just look at the airport. Can it handle 747s?

It’s no longer ‘just business’.

[quote=“ian”][quote=“endudaratinchinrutan”]
It’s a dog-eat-dog world out there. We must learn to compete or we’ll lose out.
[/quote]

When your infrastructure is executed every stupidly, it doesnt matter how you do your PR, it is those who actually came here and went back home to tell others how they feel about this place that will be the effective PR.

Just look at the airport. Can it handle 747s?

It’s no longer ‘just business’.[/quote]

Firstly, that is what business is all about. So, who should you say did all the business analysis and planning?

Those people are the ones who must think of ways to promote the state either by planning for a proper infrastructure, organising activities and stuff like that.

THAT is what business is all about. PR is not about potraying a good picture but includes planning, analysing, and manipulating the situation to benefit/profit.

People still visit Sipadan Island even though there were kidnapings years ago. Remember, Sabah has problem with security compared to Sarawak. The thing is, if you want to concerntrate on the negative side of things, than everything you plan will always have to face a huge boulder. How is it that others can pull themselves together but we can’t?

So, where is the spirit of “Boleh”?

[quote=“endudaratinchinrutan”]
THAT is what business is all about. PR is not about potraying a good picture but includes planning, analysing, and manipulating the situation to benefit/profit.

People still visit Sipadan Island even though there were kidnapings years ago. Remember, Sabah has problem with security compared to Sarawak. The thing is, if you want to concerntrate on the negative side of things, than everything you plan will always have to face a huge boulder. How is it that others can pull themselves together but we can’t?

So, where is the spirit of “Boleh”?[/quote]

Firstly, please see it from another perspective : we do not need another hit on our tourism industry. Then it hit again. People groan. That is the whole point of what I said.

Secondly, business is also about image and a good infrastucture, but we’ll just leave the business issue aside, because it wasn’t originally the point.

Third. Sorry for always portraying the ‘negative’ side of things, but I assume that since we’re living here already and since we are (or at least I am) feeling the reverberative effects of all this, we do have to discuss about bad issues. We can’t control what people from outside will think when they see news like that. Look at the Chinese - there’s a big decline in trourists from there. And so are Bruneians… (although there is a slight pickup recently). So now the Europeans as well?

Sure, things will pickup later, but what we need is now, not later.

With Miri smack in the middle of all this, (and not to mention the increasing prices) we do need the tourism boost. But then, see point no.1 above! :?

[quote=“ian”][quote=“endudaratinchinrutan”]

So, where is the spirit of “Boleh”?[/quote]

Firstly, please see it from another perspective : we do not need another hit on our tourism industry. Then it hit again. People groan. That is the whole point of what I said.

Secondly, business is also about image and a good infrastucture, but we’ll just leave the business issue aside, because it wasn’t originally the point.

Third. Sorry for always portraying the ‘negative’ side of things, but I assume that since we’re living here already and since we are (or at least I am) feeling the reverberative effects of all this, we do have to discuss about bad issues. We can’t control what people from outside will think when they see news like that. Look at the Chinese - there’s a big decline in trourists from there. And so are Bruneians… (although there is a slight pickup recently). So now the Europeans as well?

Sure, things will pickup later, but what we need is now, not later.

With Miri smack in the middle of all this, (and not to mention the increasing prices) we do need the tourism boost. But then, see point no.1 above! :?[/quote]

Then again, learn from what happened to Sipadan Island! If we keep lamenting, then our mind wouldn’t be clear enough to think of other ways to solve problems.

There are times when you can’t do much but be patient. What Sarawak needs is a change in how it should approach the subject of tourism.

Where are the think tanks? Aren’t those the very people that needs change in their ways to handle problem.

Time and time again I keep hearing that Sarawak needs new blood among their analyst and think tank.

Sarawak needs to change their ways from the 60s way of solving problem to relevant time.