Sarawak govt says coal is ‘renewable’ energy

I love it when the media slams Sarawakian bullshit

rom http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi … sec=nation

MIRI: The Borneo Resources Institute has strongly critised the move by the Sarawak government to classify the exploitation and mining of 1.156 billion tonnes of coal reserves as part of its renewable energy projects.

The institute, a Sarawak-based environmental watchdog group with global links, wants the ministries involved in environmental management at state and national levels to explain to the Malaysian public how the mining of coal could be categorised as renewable.

Institute executive director Mark Bujang said the state government had already included the mining of coal as part of the multibillion-ringgit projects to be carried out under the Sarawak Corridor of Renewable Energy (SCORE) initiatives.

We object to the move to categorise such an environmentally-hostile project as a renewable energy project because it is very misleading. Coal is a mineral that is exhaustible. It cannot be regenerated.

The mining of coal is one of the most environmentally-damaging and polluting projects on Earth. The burning of coal in power-generating plants produces huge volume of green-house gas and have caused tremendous climatic changes all over the world.

The extraction of coal from the ground and from underground mines have caused irrepairable environmental damages. These woes have been seen all over the world, especially in coal-producing countries.

How is it possible then for Sarawak to classify coal-mining and the use of coal for power-generation as one of the projects approved under the renewable energy corridor? he told The Star on Wednesday.

On Monday, Sarawak secured a US$11bil (RM38.5bil) investment from China to carry out three hydro-dam construction projects and other energy-intensive projects in the SCORE region spanning a 340km belt between Mukah district in central Sarawak and Similajau district in Bintulu Division in northern Sarawak.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Najib Tun Razak and Sarawak Chief Minister Tan Sri Abdul Taib Mahmud witnessed the inking of the deal between 1Malaysia Development Bhd and China State Grid Corporation in Kuala Lumpur.

Taib, upon his return to Sarawak, elaborated that the China consortium will handle the building of three hydro-electric dams and also look into the possibility of mining 400 million tonnes of coal deposits in Merit Pila in Kapit Division in central Sarawak.

This move to mine the 400 million tonnes of coal in Kapit is just the tip of the iceberg, claimed Bujang.

Sarawak has more than a billion tonnes of coal and already, there are numerous mining projects being carried out, especially in the Mukah-Balingain region, which is part of the SCORE territory.

In fact, a coal plant in Mukah has already been constructed and it is almost about to be completed. This (RM903mil) plant will use the coal as raw materials to produce electricity.

This development is very worrying indeed because we (the institute) have never heard of any Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) study being done or any Social Impact Assessment (SIA) survey being carried out for that project, yet that Mukah coal plant is about to be completed, he said.

I don’t get it…Since when Coal is renewable?

Its renewable alright…but takes thousands/millions of years to do it!

yeah, fosil fuel is renewable too! hahaha

That y u sarawakian dont go to school…
still leave at tree…
coal is new resources for Chief Minster & Son…

balik sekolah lah…

if the CMS cheif minister & sons didn’t dig the coal where the money to develop mukah + balingan?

haizZz…no eye see!

eh guys,i wondered what till happen if this news is heard by those US or other country’s scientist…
they sure laugh like hell lol

no wonder they thought sarawakian live on tree . :mrgreen:

Aiyah, our bloody idiot government are like that one… keep misleading the public with their “very clever” analysis…
Wow… coal plant costing RM903Mil… WONDER WHY SO EXPENSIVE… is the project being tendered or just offer to a particular company which is owned by certain YB’s (direct or indirect interest).
Also wondering who are behind the 1Malaysia Development Bhd company? Must be again those politicians using the company as mean to get more projects and therefore money into their own pockets.

The SCORE is just a Bull$HIT… talking crap on generating the economy but basically generating their own “bank account” at the expense of the environment and tax-payers money. :twisted: :twisted:

… can the govn stop making us the laughing stock of other nations?..

[quote=“annunaki”]I love it when the media slams Sarawakian bullsh*t

rom http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi … sec=nation

MIRI: The Borneo Resources Institute has strongly critised the move by the Sarawak government to classify the exploitation and mining of 1.156 billion tonnes of coal reserves as part of its renewable energy projects.

The institute, a Sarawak-based environmental watchdog group with global links, wants the ministries involved in environmental management at state and national levels to explain to the Malaysian public how the mining of coal could be categorised as renewable.

Institute executive director Mark Bujang said the state government had already included the mining of coal as part of the multibillion-ringgit projects to be carried out under the Sarawak Corridor of Renewable Energy (SCORE) initiatives.

We object to the move to categorise such an environmentally-hostile project as a renewable energy project because it is very misleading. Coal is a mineral that is exhaustible. It cannot be regenerated.

The mining of coal is one of the most environmentally-damaging and polluting projects on Earth. The burning of coal in power-generating plants produces huge volume of green-house gas and have caused tremendous climatic changes all over the world.

The extraction of coal from the ground and from underground mines have caused irrepairable environmental damages. These woes have been seen all over the world, especially in coal-producing countries.

How is it possible then for Sarawak to classify coal-mining and the use of coal for power-generation as one of the projects approved under the renewable energy corridor? he told The Star on Wednesday.

On Monday, Sarawak secured a US$11bil (RM38.5bil) investment from China to carry out three hydro-dam construction projects and other energy-intensive projects in the SCORE region spanning a 340km belt between Mukah district in central Sarawak and Similajau district in Bintulu Division in northern Sarawak.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Najib Tun Razak and Sarawak Chief Minister Tan Sri Abdul Taib Mahmud witnessed the inking of the deal between 1Malaysia Development Bhd and China State Grid Corporation in Kuala Lumpur.

Taib, upon his return to Sarawak, elaborated that the China consortium will handle the building of three hydro-electric dams and also look into the possibility of mining 400 million tonnes of coal deposits in Merit Pila in Kapit Division in central Sarawak.

This move to mine the 400 million tonnes of coal in Kapit is just the tip of the iceberg, claimed Bujang.

Sarawak has more than a billion tonnes of coal and already, there are numerous mining projects being carried out, especially in the Mukah-Balingain region, which is part of the SCORE territory.

In fact, a coal plant in Mukah has already been constructed and it is almost about to be completed. This (RM903mil) plant will use the coal as raw materials to produce electricity.

This development is very worrying indeed because we (the institute) have never heard of any Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) study being done or any Social Impact Assessment (SIA) survey being carried out for that project, yet that Mukah coal plant is about to be completed, he said.[/quote]

Sejak bila coal is a renerwable energy? Other developing country wants to get out from using coal as it is polutant and cause high green house effects, and here we go… no sorry, and here those idiots Chief Minister and his entire family involve go and use coal… lembu sangat kah awak Taib? we you an inbred son? did you father married his own sister? or his own cousin and cause you to suffer somewhat mild down-syndrome ?

Coal is not a renewable energy! it’s as a menace fossil fuel and it is to crude oil! Go learn science and watch Discovery Science, astro ada apa tidak pakai? Macam mana jadi ketua menteri begini? Anak cucu awak akan suffer nanti… bodoh!

Human faeces and cow manure are an abundant source of renewable energy too. Built a methane plant as long as you eat and poop you wont run out of supply. Seriously.
My kampung is in Mukah the coal mine is not a pretty sight. The land get strip apart because the method been use is a surface mining and the coal plant looks like something from a horror movie.

Thought that goverment is out of money… but still spending. Some of the project is good for the people but some of it good for “certain people”.

no wonder DS Najib promote 1 Malaysia out loud, I just noticed about 1MDB.com.my

[quote=“Fallenelves”]

… Anak cucu awak akan suffer nanti… bodoh![/quote]

Bro, his anak cucu all in Australia lar :mrgreen:

[quote=“annunaki”][quote=“Fallenelves”]

… Anak cucu awak akan suffer nanti… bodoh![/quote]

Bro, his anak cucu all in Australia lar :mrgreen:[/quote]

Bro… green house effect cause problem to everyone in the world. Australia is the highest UV penetration cause by pollution 2nd to New Zealand… of course his anak cucu also kena…

Otak bodoh dia will eventually cause harm to everyone in this world… what an idiot otak ulat mulong eating ba$t@rd!

do they put the project information in the website?

overhere, any major projects, there are community engagement and also all the information and project details stages etc are available on the website for everyone to read.

if there is a site for this renewable energy project, can we post it here? just interested to read - i treid to search the website for it but had no luck.

[quote=“dopamineblitz”]Human faeces and cow manure are an abundant source of renewable energy too. Built a methane plant as long as you eat and poop you wont run out of supply. Seriously.
My kampung is in Mukah the coal mine is not a pretty sight. The land get strip apart because the method been use is a surface mining and the coal plant looks like something from a horror movie.[/quote]
The thing we throw everyday all has the potential to turn into methane at the landfill. So there’s large amount of methane at our landfill. What did the GOV do about it? Nothing…Free energy, they don’t use. Costly energy, they LOVE IT. :expressionless: They need to watch Discovery or NatGeo more.

The gov might have othe plans wit this coal minning… not just for local use but perhaps to market it to other countries… i.e China … Perhaps this is wat the gov has in mind…
It is indeed sad to see the destructive changes to the environment as a result of the minning activity… I assume all this has gone thru EPA and environmental impact assessments etc prior to the gov obtain the approval for this minning industry… I don’t know… Anyone knows more about this?