Sarawak Culture in Miri

Hello…
Does anyone here knows any Sarawak cultures we could find in Miri??
:roll:

[quote=“bee”]Hello…
:roll:[/quote]

Hi there,

Can you be more specific?

:? emm…well.let me just ask what exactly is a Sarawak culture?

All Sarawakian is living in “Sarawak Culture” everyday. What we does, what we believes, what community group that we were in, what we all agreed and decided to do together, our Moral and etc. All these together formed a “Culture”. Ours is a special one :wink: .

This is not giving a lecture, hope you dont mind. A culture consist of:

Values - What people say one ought to do or not do. What is considered good and bad.

• For instance, the importance of honesty, or chastity.

Laws - What political authorities have decided people should do, and what the sanctions are.

• For instance - laws about murder and robbery.

Rules - What a society has decided its members should do, and the sanctions imposed.

• For instance social rules about marriage ages, childrearing.

Social Categories- Ways of thinking about people as types.

• For instance “kings”, “friends”, “Criminals”, “lovers”, “nobles”, “clergy”. [Note that not all these categories exist in all societies.]

Tacit Models - Implicit standards and patterns of behavior that a person does not think about.

• For instance, knowing how to address police officer rather than friends. Knowing how to dress for a job interview as opposed to a dance.

Assumptions - Implicit, not usually articulated ideas and beliefs.

• For instance, a belief that hard work will be repaid, or the belief that things will get better (for a long time this was a defining aspect of American culture.)

Fundamental - Categories and ways of thinking that people take for granted and may not recognized even when pointed out.

• For instance, thinking in dualities good/bad, male/female, beastly/godly.
  • Classifying insects but not plants as living beings. Seeing history as circular or as straight line towards a definite goal.

Now you figure out what is our Sarawak Culture then. To me, I personally would say that our culture is all within the guideline mentioned.

Anyway, “Culture may change as time goes by”.

hey ryabren.thnx alot.that worked out well in my understanding about what culture means.
the question is that what are the cultures in Sarawak that we could also find in Miri the Resort City?heh heh :?:

Hi bee,

Well, there are plenty. I’m just going to cover one bit of it: road traffic culture.

1. No need to activate the signal indicator when making a turn.
  2. Stay on the fastest lane all the time even when driving on the highway and with no intentions to overtake a car in front.
  3. Jaywalking.
  4. Throw rubbish out the window of the car.

etc. (anyone have more to add? I just couldn’t recall all of it right now) hehehe… :lol:

With jokes aside, there are plenty of these internal cultures which we normally see everyday in Miri and somehow grow acusstomed to as time progresses. You will only see the difference the instant you step into other countries (e.g. Indonesia, Singapore, Brunei, etc).

The usual ones which we are so used to are:

1. A smiling face when talking to other races.
  2. The local slang such as “si-tok” (here), “si-nun” (there) which is part of what people call “Bahasa Sarawak” and is widely used in the daily conversation between different races.
  3. The once-every-4-years lantern festival for the TYT’s birthday (is this still being done? not sure if this qualifies as a culture, but it is something unique though).

(anyone care to add? :D)

‘Kopi-o’ and ‘teh-si’ culture.

:wink:

Talking abt ‘kopi o’ n ‘teh c’…most of Mirianz likes 2 hv their week n breakfast 8 ‘2020 Cafe’ esp on Sun n it’s really ‘packed’… :wink:

Eeerrr…cn tat b consider as Mirianz culture?? :oops:

[quote=“ian”]‘Kopi-o’ and ‘teh-si’ culture.

:wink:[/quote]

Our common "Kopi-O"s:

When Police giving “Saman Ticket” - We belanja them Kopi-O

When A Lousy Driver Got Car Accident - He sure got Kopi-O License

These 2 are the most popular 1 , rite? But better stop practise that already, if we got caught, we’ll sure get “KAW-KAW” in return…

[quote=“Jack”]

1. No need to activate the signal indicator when making a turn.
  2. Stay on the fastest lane all the time even when driving on the highway and with no intentions to overtake a car in front.
  3. Jaywalking.
  4. Throw rubbish out the window of the car.

etc. (anyone have more to add? I just couldn’t recall all of it right now) hehehe… :lol:

(anyone care to add? :D)[/quote]

Hell, I’d like to add some more:

1. speeding up and trying to run over the person jaywalking
  2. spit anywhere you like (common in Old Town Area)
  3. take a piss in corners and alleys
  4. burning down Parking 'pondok’s

[quote=“bee”]Hello…
:roll:[/quote]

Anyway to seriously answer your question, maybe you can get some answers at the Miri Heritage Center. But it’s mostly handicrafts there, bu you’ll learn a thing or two, and I think they sell traditional costumes there too.

wow… ok… thnx guys! at least i have some ideas abt swk culture in miri now.
but the thing is… i need to take picture of those various cultures… for my assignment. hurmm… this is really hard :? anymore suggestions? i really need help here… :frowning:

modern culture…malaysian habit…maybe you can put in that way…

I also like to add more,these are the subcultures

1.Likes to shuffle
2.Likes jumpstyle
3.The bad ones like to rempit at Miri old airport

[quote=“bee”]wow… ok… thnx guys! at least i have some ideas abt swk culture in miri now.
but the thing is… i need to take picture of those various cultures… for my assignment. hurmm… this is really hard :? anymore suggestions? i really need help here… :frowning:
[/quote]

Where are you from and how young are you?

You have to hit the pavement and dig from ground zero. Observe, ask and listen. The tips outlined here are your guides, but you must sweat it out for more details. Have a kopi-o and teh-c in between!

Go for teh tarik also and then visit to Tamu muhibah, tamu bumi and Pasar tani for local marketing culture.

this thread was 2 years ago in case anyone didn’t notice.

Wow! I wonder what happen to his assignment. Did he manage to find what he was looking for?
Hmm… :expressionless:

If me, I would go to Miri Heritage Center, Tua peh kong, and ask locals around about the people of Miri. 8)