Salang advises rural pupils on importance of sound education

SK Nanga Kara pupils celebrating their UPSR results recently. The primary school is part of the iM Sarawak School Improvement Programme.

KUCHING: A sound education is the key to a better life, says 1Malaysia Sarawak Advisory Council chairman Datuk Joseph Salang Gandum.

He gave this advice to pupils from the interior of Sarawak recently following the release of the UPSR results.

In a statement issued through iM Sarawak, a social development initiative led by the 1Malaysia Sarawak Advisory Council (1MSAC), the Julau MP told the pupils that many of them would face the challenge of leaving their families behind for the first time once they enter secondary schools.

“Yet others might have already lived away from home but may now need to move even farther away to further your education. I know this change may seem daunting, but I assure you, it is the road to a better future.”

He also shared his personal experience of living in a boarding school in Bintangor since he was in Standard Five and could only see his family during weekends.

“After finishing my Form Five, I moved from Bintangor to Miri for my sixth form education. Then I went abroad to complete my tertiary education and obtained my MBA (Master of Business Administration).

“Although living away from home was tough I must say it was very important in building the foundation for everything I have come to achieve today. It exposed me to new ways of thinking and showed me I could achieve anything I wanted if I worked for it,” he emphasised.

He thus expressed his hope that the pupils would also move forward with a positive attitude.

“Take this as a challenge that will change your lives and that of your parents in the future. It is intimidating, but it will also open doors to opportunities you would not have access to otherwise.

“With that I wish you all good luck in whatever your future may hold.”

Source: http://www.theborneopost.com/2017/11/28/salang-advises-rural-pupils-on-importance-of-sound-education/