RON 95 replacing RON 97, very soon

[size=150]I had an inside news that RON 95 will be replacing our normal RON97 fuel tomorrow :roll: [/size]

Better tank up !!!

RON95 is replacing RON92 & not replacing RON97.

Umm … RON92 had already phased out, so RON 95 is replacing RON97 in the market.
We will not be getting any RON 97 in S’wak after 1st Sept 2009.
So the implementation is very soon, tomorrow apparently.

Hi BonBon, eh ron95 replacing ron92 rite?coz start 1st sept,ron97 will cost rm2.00 per liter and ron95 will cost rm1.75 per liter.

RON 97 will also be phased out from our market, very soon as in the next few days latest, if not tomorrow.

I know most of the RON92 at certain SHELL petrol kiosk has finish. They told me that RON92 will be replaced by RON95 and continue selling RON97.

I don’t know about PETRONAS cos they only have 2 pumps, diesel & petrol which is RON97 now. All new SHELL petrol kiosk also have two pumps only. I guess they are selling either RON95 or RON97 or maybe add another pump soon. :wink:

2 different stories?

Again, most car won’t benefit from RON97. It only makes a different in high performance engine, so if your manafacturer recommended fuel is RON95, then you are wasting your money on RON97 because your engine will not benefit from it.

And, most cars in Malaysia market do not have high performance engine.

[quote=“gibafulatata”]Again, most car won’t benefit from RON97. It only makes a different in high performance engine, so if your manafacturer recommended fuel is RON95, then you are wasting your money on RON97 because your engine will not benefit from it.

And, most cars in Malaysia market do not have high performance engine.[/quote]
Agreed with you. People laugh at me when I pump my Kelisa with RON92. When I check the manafacturer manual, it’s clearly stated “RON90 and above”

Besides cheaper, RON92 gives me extra mileage of about 50km every full tank of petrol compare to RON97. :wink:

GTi - no choice (97 RON or higher) :mrgreen:

Most of peroduo cars are sufficient to pump RON92, RON97 does not give you any extra benefit in technical terms. But the additives in RON97 might differ from those of RON92. Additives as in “extra mileage” perhaps? :slight_smile:

RON stands for Research Octane Number, a rating used to measure a fuels knocking resistance in spark-ignition internal combustion engines. Before we attempt to understand this mumbo jumbo, we have to know what knocking is. Knocking is what happens when parts or all of the air-fuel mixture prematurely ignites before the flame from the spark plug can reach it. This can be caused by ignition timing that is too early or engine overheating, where the heat from the cylinder itself causes the mixture to combust before the spark plug can burn the mixture. This causes a decrease in performance and might also harm the engine.

It is a misunderstanding to think that RON97 fuels produce more power than RON92 fuels, even more so with the fact that in reality a higher RON number means the fuel burns less easily! RON refers to the ability of the fuel to resist knocking and nothing else.

By pumping the RON97 into a car which engine only requires the RON92, all you’re going to get is an emptier wallet hardly counts for performance gains via weight reduction!

Engines are designed to have a minimum RON rating for its fuel. Do check your service manual for the minimum RON rating that it requires. For engines that require a minimum of RON92, you might as well pump RON92 fuel and save a bit of money since RON92 is cheaper by 10 cents per liter. Another common minimum RON rating is RON95, but since we do not have RON95 fuel in our market, we have to use RON97 fuel for the engine. These engines normally have higher compression ratios, like the one found in the Satria GTI so it needs higher knock resistance to withstand higher compression.

If you find that your engine can use RON92 petrol and decide to save a bit of money, do check out if a petrol stations RON92 petrol is leaded or unleaded. All RON97 petrol is unleaded, but some RON92 petrol might be leaded although this is very very rare.

Source: http://paultan.org/2006/07/25/research-octane-number/

For those station have ron92 previously will convert to ron95. For those station that only sell ron97 previously will decide by dealer whether want to convert some ron97 to ron95.

Actually, RON95 is replacing the both of RON92 & RON97. There will be no more RON92 & RON97 in the next few days.

The conversion depends on the oil company. Now or later but before 1st Sept.

I think they will phase in RON95 (hence phase out RON92) as soon as they can, and phase out RON97 as late as they can.

This will miximise their profit. Make sense?

Not really. They will rather phase out RON97 asap when the demand is there. When RON95 is out, it is a very clear cut choice for the majority of motorists. I guess when the holding tanks at fuel depots are finish, that is it.

So that means in the future there will be no RON97 at all? even there might have someone with money to burn, or if we have couple of millionaires who have their fancy cars to feed, they will have no choice but to go with RON95?

Don’t think that’s good too. You need variety in the market.

Hehehe, I’m sure the millionaires can afford to bring in their own high octane fuel and have a pump at home for that.

Just use an octane booster. Mix while refueling.

i think shud be ron95 replace ron92 eh… thats why ron97 goes to RM2.00 …