Rape victim punished!

(CNN) – A court in Saudi Arabia increased the punishment for a gang-rape victim after her lawyer won an appeal of the sentence for the rapists, the lawyer told CNN.

The 19-year-old victim was sentenced last year to 90 lashes for meeting with an unrelated male, a former friend from whom she was retrieving photographs. The seven rapists, who abducted the pair and raped both, received sentences ranging from 10 months to five years in prison.

The victim’s attorney, Abdulrahman al-Lahim, contested the rapists’ sentence, contending there is a fatwa, or edict under Islamic law, that considers such crimes Hiraba (sinful violent crime) and the punishment should be death.

“After a year, the preliminary court changed the punishment and made it two to nine years for the defendants,” al-Lahim said of the new decision handed down Wednesday. “However, we were shocked that they also changed the victim’s sentence to be six months in prison and 200 lashes.”

The judges more than doubled the punishment for the victim because of “her attempt to aggravate and influence the judiciary through the media,” according to a source quoted by Arab News, an English-language Middle Eastern daily newspaper.

Judge Saad al-Muhanna from the Qatif General Court also barred al-Lahim from defending his client and revoked his law license, al-Lahim said. The attorney has been ordered to attend a disciplinary hearing at the Ministry of Justice next month.

Al-Lahim said he is appealing the decision to bar him from representing the victim and has a meeting with Justice Minister Abdullah bin Muhammad bin Ibrahim Al Al-Sheikh on Monday.

“Currently she doesn’t have a lawyer, and I feel they’re doing this to isolate her and deprive her from her basic rights,” al-Lahim said. “We will not accept this judgment and I’ll do my best to continue representing her because justice needs to take place.”

Al-Lahim said he wanted the Justice Ministry to take “a very clear standing” on the case, saying the decision is “judicial mutiny against reform that King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz started and against Saudi women who are being victimized because of such decisions.”

Women are subject to numerous restrictions in Saudi Arabia, including a strict dress code, a prohibition against driving and the need for a man’s permission to travel or have surgery. Women are also not allowed to testify in court unless it is about a private matter that was not observed by a man, and they are not allowed to vote.

The Saudi government recently has taken some steps toward bettering the situation of women in the kingdom, including the establishment earlier this year of special courts to handle domestic abuse cases, adoption of a new labor law that addresses working women’s rights, and creation of a human rights commission.

CNN was unable to reach government officials for comment.

This is just absurd! This is the first time I heard a victim is punished for being raped!!! And when the rapists sentence is increased, they double the sentence of the victim as well! I don’t know, what the world is becoming to …

some ppl still live in ‘zaman jahilliah’.
dat explain y there so much hate between 2 different religion…

i tot islam is defender of females’ right
wot happen here? :shock:

That religion is EVIL & their judges are all HYPOCRITES!! S. Arabia is all screwed up. Piss on them!

excuse me???

Wow wow wow… Not very wise man…

It would have been better if the lawyer of victim did not make an appeal on the senctence of the 7 accused, thus her client would have just received 90 rather than 200 lashes plus inprisonment. NO JUSTICE AT ALL.

not even the principle of DIVINE JUSTICE will agree on the verdict of appeal. poor victim

nice week ends

It just angers me when there are people who are not treated fairly … Men are not higher than women. Women can do what men can and vice versa. Why are women being sideline? I believe it is not religion … it is more to the culture of the community.

Religion teaches us to be good, treat each other fairly where as, culture is the way of life. Their way of life there, is to treat women lower than men and often, the way of life is taken from the misinterpretation of the religion. This is just my oppinion. I’m not in any way offending anybody.

the paradox:
is that those creatures committed to the most intense worship of God,
are generally those ppl with the least respect for his other creatures,
instead allowing themselves to beleive they are His cloned copies.

Another religion that has failed to get away from moral corruption.

Have to agree with the gist of the strong sentiments expressed earlier.
is a totally barbaric outcome, against the unfortunate woman, effectively sentenced to death. a truly evil society.

You got a point. the religion and culture are 2 different things to talk about. as a matter of fact, atty. Al Lahim, pointed out in his appeal that there is a fatwa or edict punishing such crime of rape to death. It means that the law was not interpreted or applied in its plain language before the rendition of judgement or there was misappreciation of evidence in behalf of the victim.

I understand that the judge of the case, had no clear understanding between the law and culture when he handed down the decision for appeal or comingled the two. that is why he penned an incredible verdict.
I always believed, that no religion teaches its followers to be wrong. But it is the faithfuls who make themselves bad, sometimes by interpreting the holy books or Quran in accordance with their own agenda.

merely my opinion

thanks

… The judges more than doubled the punishment for the victim because of “her attempt to aggravate and influence the judiciary through the media,” according to a source quoted by Arab News, an English-language Middle Eastern daily newspaper… & …

Al-Lahim said he wanted the Justice Ministry to take “a very clear standing” on the case, saying the decision is "judicial mutiny against reform that King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz started and against Saudi women who are being victimised …[/quote]

good evening baham,

appears that the judge may well have been acting out of the boundaries of the Saudi judicial system,
& seems to have been incensed that anybody would have the audacity to make public, his previous rulings.

Again, surely the sign of a weak & morally corrupt man, unable to answer with integrity, without committing further sin, to the public he serves & ‘protects’?

hi fen

dougie, the victims has a good reason for airing her discontentment over the media because she did not get a fair sentence from the judge. to influence the court decision, is the ultimate and anticipated result, it should never be taken as an aggravating circumstance in the imposition of sentence. conversely, had he (judge) not erred in the deciding the case which ended up to harsh punishment, there would never be media interference. By all means, he is at fault for his utter lack of legal knowledge. I think the law is enacted for the protection of victims as well as for the punishment of the accused. While I assumed that some laws of Saudi are excerpted from the Quranic and Hadith etc. teachings, however, they are all good and as they can address the injustices done against the victims and they also provide for the punishment of the accused or The sources of the laws are good.In other words the law is good but the implementation or application is bad. So the judge as the implementor is bad, he should have decided the appeal based on the evidence of guilt or merit of the case rather taking the media exposure as an aggravating circumstance to warrant the imposition of a higher sentence term. he is terribly wrong. The decision is unacceptable to the civilized world.

thanks

Repeat … S Arabia is all screwed up! These idiots breathe too much petro-fume, which causes delusionary behaviour and the insatiable urge to disenfranchise the opposite sex. Need more be said?

chop it down

I rest my case!!

yeah agreed with coolman . chop it off

This is what I call victimized victim… oh poor thing…

[quote=“baham”]understand that the judge of the case, had no clear understanding between the law and culture when he handed down the decision for appeal or comingled the two. that is why he penned an incredible verdict.
I always believed, that no religion teaches its followers to be wrong. But it is the faithfuls who make themselves bad, sometimes by interpreting the holy books or Quran in accordance with their own agenda.[/quote]

[quote=“dougie”]appears that the judge may well have been acting out of the boundaries of the Saudi judicial system,
& seems to have been incensed that anybody would have the audacity to make public, his previous rulings.

Again, surely the sign of a weak & morally corrupt man, unable to answer with integrity, without committing further sin, to the public he serves & ‘protects’?[/quote]

I like the logic behind both of your oppinion, but, sadly to say, how intelligent people are, sometimes this logic is not seen as they are blinded by their own agenda or maybe someone’s who has the power above them …

[quote=“too-wwe”][quote=“baham”]understand that the judge of the case, had no clear understanding between the law and culture when he handed down the decision for appeal or comingled the two. that is why he penned an incredible verdict.
I always believed, that no religion teaches its followers to be wrong. But it is the faithfuls who make themselves bad, sometimes by interpreting the holy books or Quran in accordance with their own agenda.[/quote]

[quote=“dougie”]appears that the judge may well have been acting out of the boundaries of the Saudi judicial system,

Again, surely the sign of a weak & morally corrupt man, unable to answer with integrity, without committing further sin, to the public he serves & ‘protects’?[/quote]

I like the logic behind both of your oppinion, but, sadly to say, how intelligent people are, sometimes this logic is not seen as they are blinded by their own agenda or maybe someone’s who has the power above them …[/quote]

in behalf of dougie, and myself too, i say, you are always welcome. it is better to be objective in posting comments rather than touching non-collateral matter to the issue pose for comment.

have a good day

thanks for your appreciation

if i am not mistakenly,

according to hudud law, the rape victim must a produce a few witnesses dat actually witnessed the incident took place.
only then she can make a report n bring it to court.

dun ask me how or wot…
:shock:

[quote=“haroldz”]if i am not mistakenly,

according to hudud law, the rape victim must a produce a few witnesses dat actually witnessed the incident took place.
only then she can make a report n bring it to court.

dun ask me how or wot…
:shock:[/quote]

fren

from where that Hudud Law originated?
:shock: commonly or most of the rape cases perpetrated in this scenario: between the culprit and the victim, with few exceptions the gang rape etc.

however, let us just concentrate on this common scenario, one victim and one rapist. by the nature of the commission of the crime, it is done in a concealed location or less noticeable place from public eyes, for fear to invite the attention of the public, and lateron turn to be a witness of the crime or for fear of defense and vengeance from relatives of the victim.

under that scenario, most of the time there will be no eye-witness for the offense of rape when committed. I also assume that the Rules on Evidence of the civilized countries dont require the presence of the eye-witness before it can be filed successfully with the court. why? because, there are other ways to prove the commission of offense, e.g. MEDICO-LEGAL test upon the private part or other body parts of the victim (showing the occurence of physical violence against her person), and morally speaking, it is the woman’s nature that she will not tell anything adverse to her chastity or womanhood because in the litigation she will expose her ordeal to public scrunity, thus subjecting herself to public shame and redicule.

remember fren " virginity once deflowered or defiled, it cannot be restored anymore" and “it is the most precious goods/gift that woman can offer/give to her future husband” :lol: :lol: :lol:

in conclusion i believe the Hadud Law lacks logic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

good morning
thank you