PSD may reveal axed staff list

http://www.thestaronline.com/news/story … sec=nation

PUTRAJAYA: The public may soon know how many government servants are sacked each year and the type of punishment meted out to them, if the Public Service Department (PSD) has its way.

Currently, the list of sacked staff and the grounds for dismissal are not revealed to the public to protect their identities and save them the embarrassment.

However, Public Service Department director-general Tan Sri Ismail Adam said this was to make the whole service more transparent after it received a huge pay increase recently.

The public tends to have the impression that civil servants are never sacked despite the severity of their offences. But we do sack or take disciplinary action against civil servants each year.

I have discussed this matter with Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan because the force has sacked a few police officers but never made this known to the public.

I don’t think we will give the names of those involved but we will definitely tell how many are involved, the grounds for the disciplinary action or the types of action. I will bring up this matter to the Chief Secretary to the Government, he told reporters here yesterday.

On the call by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to civil servants to give up their part-time jobs after receiving the pay increase, Ismail said that at present, they were allowed to work if it did not affect their official duties and there was no conflict of interest.

Some senior officers are working part-time as lecturers or tutors in public universities.

However, they will have to get approval from the various services commissions and that they declare their extra income, he said.

it is legal to do that?
some of them may b dismissed because of ‘black sheep syndrome’.
like unfair dismissal