Police Want Salary Revision For Earnings Below Poverty Line

Source: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news.php?id=220483

September 18, 2006 22:18 PM

Police Want Salary Revision For Personnel Earning Below Poverty Line

PUTRAJAYA, Sept 18 (Bernama) – The Royal Malaysia Police today called on the government to revise the salary scale of its personnel whose earnings are below the poverty line.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan said the move was necessary considering that 20 percent of the lower rank officers were diploma and degree holders.

"If we are to consider that the Kuala Lumpur poverty line is at RM1,500, anything lower than that is considered poor. So the matter needs to be studied first.

“After the study, I will discuss the matter with the Internal Security Ministry to get the best approach,” he told reporters after a ceremony to present contributions to family members of the late Constable Mohd Fakharudin Zakaria, here Monday.

Sunday, Deputy Internal Security Minister Datuk Mohd Johari Baharum agreed with Musa’s suggestion that the salary of police officers and other ranks be raised in view of their challenging roles.

Last Tuesday, Musa had said that police personnel were among the lowest paid working group in the country with the initial salary of a Constable being only RM650 a month.

He however stressed that he was not proposing that the salary of those earning below RM1,500 a month be raised above the level as an in-depth study needed to be conducted first.

Apart from raising their performance quality, the move would make them more passionate about their job, he said.

“So should they be enticed to do the wrong things, they would not do so as they love their lucrative-paying job,” Musa said.

He said in addition, corruption could be checked further as criminals would not dare to bribe the officers since they had a high regard for their job.

Meanwhile in KOTA KINABALU, Federal Police Director of Management, Datuk Mohd Amir Sulaiman, said a proposal on raising the police salary would be submitted to the government soon.

He said currently the proposal was at an evaluation stage before being submitted to the government for approval.

"I think the revision of the police salary scale can be finalised before the end of the year.

“We hope the government will consider it,” he told reporters after a duty handing-over ceremony between outgoing Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Mangsor Ismail and his successor Deputy Police Commissioner Datuk Mohd Bakri Zinin in Kepayan, here Monday.

– BERNAMA

Yeah very true…Thats why the police force r very hungry for ‘kopi-o’ in where i live…I’ve given alot to officers like these…But even the gov gave them a high raise they will still take bribes from civilians cos who says money is enuf? Even the rich n famous like Li Ka Shing or Warren Buffet or Bill Gates still continue to think of ways to earn more n more…No one is satisfied…When u have 1k, u wan 10k…Got 10k, u wan 100k…Got 100k, u wan a million n so on…Wif takin bribes remaining a culture to officers n civilians, i’m sure it’ll take the gov some time to reverse this situation…Then when they do, I’ll go home to a drawer full of unpaid summons…Damn!

sam… i agreed with you but as for a piece of advise from me, i think we shouldn’t have a habits of giving bribes to any officers. I think the reason of u giving bribes is when they caught u breaching the law. So why not obeying the law and don;t let them caught u… :slight_smile:

Seriously, gov should really look into the payscale for our country’s police officer. If police officer can get off with taking bribes from civilians, then everyone will start to obey the laws and our country will looks a bit better la.

Again… just my 2cts… :lol: :lol:

"If we are to consider that the Kuala Lumpur poverty line is at RM1,500, anything lower than that is considered poor. So the matter needs to be studied first.

Wow, considering that the living expenses in Miri is almost as high as those in KL (say line is around rm1,300) then I know a lot of people who’re in pverty right now this very moment.

Also, bribe giving = bad. If you made the offense, pay the fine. You derserved it. If you don’t deserve the fine, get the number of the officer involved, and go dispute it. It is much more inconveinent, but you have to remember we’re not in the business of distributing free money.

I agree with what Ian said. pretty sad to know some people do live under poverty line but yet did a great service to the society hence to the world.

yes… maybe one of the reason as well why when we call them for help, they pop in so late… maybe becoz low salary= slow action. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

if this is the case, hope they can get some good pay raise ASAP to avoid this situation la…

[quote=“smallee”]yes… maybe one of the reason as well why when we call them for help, they pop in so late… maybe becoz low salary= slow action. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

if this is the case, hope they can get some good pay raise ASAP to avoid this situation la…[/quote]

true - well money is not the main motivation but it sure help those in need.