Police to patrol buffer zone

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/4/23/nation/17519895&sec=nation

Monday April 23, 2007

Police to patrol buffer zone

MIRI: Sarawak police have extended mobile patrol duties right up to no mans land the unoccupied border region between Sarawak and Brunei to help visitors and tourists coming in from oil-rich Brunei feel safer.

Miri Police Chief Asst Comm Abang Abdillah Abang Othman said the state police have decided to expand its mobile surveillance rounds all the way to the Sungai Tujuh border checkpoint, some 35km north of Miri City, from the city limits because of current pressing needs.

Some people in the tourism industry say that the number of tourists and visitors from Brunei has dropped seriously because of worries and security fears about the gangster issues in the state.

These mobile patrols will be carried out everyday.

This means that the entire stretch between Miri and the Sarawak-Brunei exit will be monitored by mobile police units at regular intervals everyday, not just the city areas.

We want to reassure visitors from Brunei or foreigners entering Sarawak from Brunei that their safety and security are being taken care of at all times, he said yesterday.

A stretch of forested land stretching for two kilometres between the Sarawak immigration checkpoint and the Brunei immigration complex is unoccupied. It is reserved as a border buffer zone between Malaysia and Brunei. The Pan-Borneo Highway runs through this zone into Brunei and beyond.

ACP Abdillah said there were no major security threats here against visitors or tourists.

He assured those entering the state via northern Sarawak that they could always depend on the police for swift assistance if they faced any trouble or problem.

this is what we are facing in Miri… same goes to Johor as well… on my last trip to Singapore, spoke to a cab driver and he told me that he use to visit Johor every weekend in the past and now he stop doing it because it is too dangerous for them to do so…

Hope the extended duties of the mobile patrols can help increase the number of tourists and visitors to Miri… :wink:

I thought they said that tourists are happy and feel safe?

2 possibilities on this issue as I seeeeeeeeeeee…

1. Proactive move by the police dept in order to maintain a safer city…

2. There is an increase of criminal rate around the border from 13 April till 23 April… :lol:

Heheh, good one.

Yeah seriously I’d suspect no.1 as well but this quote

Some people in the tourism industry say that the number of tourists and visitors from Brunei has dropped seriously because of worries and security fears about the gangster issues in the state.

…contradicts the other.