PKR wins Miri seat only

PKR wins Miri seat only

Posted on May 6, 2013, Monday

KUCHING: Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) won only the Miri seat out of a total of 15 seats it contested in Sarawak.

State PKR chairman Baru Bian told a press conference at its headquarters in Third Mile here late last night that they were disappointed with the overall results in Sarawak and blamed money politics for the shocking loss.

I was even more shocked to learn that I have lost about 8,000 votes in Limbang. Im at a loss for words at this moment, he said.

Baru did not deny that vote-buying might be the main factor for their loss even though we have reminded the people to receive what is given but not to sell their votes.

He was however glad that there was a surge in support in areas such as Betong and Petra Jaya to Pakatan Rakyat (PR).

The 15 seats PKR contested in Sarawak were Santubong, Petra Jaya, Mambong, Batang Lupar, Sri Aman, Lubok Antu, Betong, Saratok, Julau, Kanowit, Selangau, Hulu Rajang, Miri, Baram and Limbang.

On another factor which might have contributed to their loss, Baru pointed out that perhaps the people, especially in rural areas, might not fully understand politics and the purpose of election despite having been educated about their rights.

We have failed to influence them even though we have tried over the years to highlight some of the critical issues affecting them such as land which is at the heart of every native, he further said.

Also, people may not fully accept us yet but given more time and patience, we will pave our way into the hearts of the people, he added.

Despite the defeat, Baru stressed that PKR Sarawak will continue to fight on for the hope for the people.

We will also continue with political education especially in rural areas. I promise to speak for all in my constituency whether they are my supporters or otherwise, he said.

Meanwhile, PKR candidate Dr Michael Teo won the Miri constituency by a majority of 1,992 votes. Dr Teo was in a three-cornered fight against Barisan Nasionals (BN) Sarawak United Peoples Party (SUPP) candidate Datuk Sebastian Ting and Star candidate Chong Kon Fatt.

He obtained 26,909 votes while Ting garnered 24,917 votes and 630 votes were rejected. A total of 52,813 voters turned out to vote, representing 72.2 per cent of the total number of registered voters in Miri

Source: http://www.theborneopost.com/2013/05/06/pkr-wins-miri-seat-only/

I was even more shocked to learn that I have lost about 8,000 votes in Limbang. Im at a loss for words at this moment, he said.

Maybe that Limbang-Brunei bridge is working its ‘magic’.

Limbang is so under developed and backward, why are they still sticking to BN ???

because their brain is under developed and backward

i am normally not into politics or its related…only read bout it when it is still a hot and fresh issue, but frankly i can easily get “tired” when the issues drag on too long…

but after the recent election, i read few things here and there, on the net too…

and when i read “Sunday’s outcome raised the spectre of an end to the remarkable career of the charismatic Anwar. The 65-year-old had vowed to step aside as opposition leader if Pakatan failed to unseat the government” i think this is so sad…

its really touching emotionally, and i think he and those at his sides have given all they have…

[quote=“bigisbeautiful”]i am normally not into politics or its related…only read bout it when it is still a hot and fresh issue, but frankly i can easily get “tired” when the issues drag on too long…

but after the recent election, i read few things here and there, on the net too…

and when i read “Sunday’s outcome raised the spectre of an end to the remarkable career of the charismatic Anwar. The 65-year-old had vowed to step aside as opposition leader if Pakatan failed to unseat the government” i think this is so sad…

its really touching emotionally, and i think he and those at his sides have given all they have…[/quote]

Yup agreed , i also notice this election also emerged of young bright politician such as Nurul Izzah and Khairy Jamaludin

Mirians/Sarawakians,

Our Sarawak DUN will dissolve in 2 1/2 years more.

We need to shoulder on for our next generation. Those who despair from GE13 results will only worsen the pain.

Rise up and look beyond yesterday and be prepared from now towards State and GE14!

We start now, we start right here in Sarawak!

ANYTHING BUT BN!