Picture not sharp- why? >.<""

I am user of Nikon D90 with 18-105 vr lens…
Being the first-time dslr user, i faced a little problem here with the sharpness of photos that i took.
Please see the sample below. I wish i could have sharper shot on my niece… what should i pay attention to?

I did a little research of how to have sharp image as below.

1. Higher shutter speed.
  2. Factory setting adjusted to higher sharpness in menu.
  3. Do not shake. Switch on VR mode.
  4. Ermmm…@@"

Pros out there… please advise more… :frowning:

i know nothing bout camera. but is that ur child? cute…

my niece…as mentioned :oops:

Most important thing… LIGHT!

You need plenty of light so that you can get a good exposure even with fast shutter speeds… at the end of the day… lighting is the most important thing.

The VR or Image stabilization stuff just gives you a slight edge, but lighting is still the most important thing.

[quote=“LWong”]Most important thing… LIGHT!

You need plenty of light so that you can get a good exposure even with fast shutter speeds… at the end of the day… lighting is the most important thing.

The VR or Image stabilization stuff just gives you a slight edge, but lighting is still the most important thing.[/quote]

you are right! Photography is all about the play of light :smiley:
But for the sample i have above, is it considered as under-exposed? I am like a question mark in judging under-exposed or over-exposed photos lol :oops:

yea depending on lighting condition, ur ISO has to match.

outdoor with sunlight can use ISO 100-200.
indoor day time with plenty of sunlight can use ISO 100-400
if inadequate light can go more than ISO 400. however anything more than ISO 800 may be noisy depending on how good the CCD in ur camera is.

ISO determines the sensitivity of ur CCD. the higher u go the more sensitive it is towards light, thus enabling u to take photos in darker lighting conditions with reasonable shutter speed. drawback is that u get dead pixels (known as noise), the higher u go.

Slight over or under exposure can be rectified in Photoshop. As well as white balance… provided that you shoot in RAW.

[quote=“iamkroll”]yea depending on lighting condition, ur ISO has to match.

outdoor with sunlight can use ISO 100-200.
indoor day time with plenty of sunlight can use ISO 100-400
if inadequate light can go more than ISO 400. however anything more than ISO 800 may be noisy depending on how good the CCD in ur camera is.

ISO determines the sensitivity of ur CCD. the higher u go the more sensitive it is towards light, thus enabling u to take photos in darker lighting conditions with reasonable shutter speed. drawback is that u get dead pixels (known as noise), the higher u go.[/quote]

Thanks for your ISO advise! I learnt it :slight_smile:
I am not sure about this: IF i use Auto-ISO, will it determine the ISO about the range that you suggested? I mean will Nikon auto ISO be sufficient enough to perform well and always select BEST ISO for photographer? :oops:

Yea i used lightroom for that… but… i wish i can possess the skill of taking photos without post processing… :frowning:

liangpopo, hehe not a problem. just sharing what i know hehe.

however i would advice u not to rely on ‘auto’ functions so much. hehe coz if u think about it, whats the point in buying a dSLR if u still just want to use the auto functions. hehe right? plus u cant get creative with auto. :smiley:

i suggest u learn more about shutter speed and aperture. this two go hand in hand coz they have to compensate for each other. u will also learn that shutter speed and the aperture also have effect on ur pictures (depth of field, softness of ur picture etc).

so once u know ur desired shutter speed or aperture for that particular shot, u may take into consideration about the ISO depending on lighting conditions.

and to determine whether ur photo is overexposed or underexposed, use the histogram.

hehe hope that helps!

is it just me?

i think the TS is talking about bokeh? no?

anyway… yea ligting does helps a lot on sharpness… simple explaination is before the subject or your hand could shake, the pic are already on its way to the memory card…

to get a faster shutter speed, go for bigger aparture which allow more light to go through the lense to the sensor… higher ISO as explained by kroll…

and for bokeh, the bigger the aparture, the more bokeh it is… and also with a big aparture, the longer you zoom in, the more bokeh as well… but you sacrifice your wide angle in doin so…

I can’t tell from my monitor coz it looks sharp to me. But assuming that the lighting was good and camera & lens in good working order & lens not dirty, try focus lock on the subject eyes. Take a few shots instead of just 1 and/or bracket your shots. In the past where film are expensive and every shot count but now it is digital and can delete and reuse the memory card, so take more shots of the same scene. Can always delete if no good.

[quote=“iamkroll”]liangpopo, hehe not a problem. just sharing what i know hehe.

however i would advice u not to rely on ‘auto’ functions so much. hehe coz if u think about it, whats the point in buying a dSLR if u still just want to use the auto functions. hehe right? plus u cant get creative with auto. :smiley:

i suggest u learn more about shutter speed and aperture. this two go hand in hand coz they have to compensate for each other. u will also learn that shutter speed and the aperture also have effect on ur pictures (depth of field, softness of ur picture etc).

so once u know ur desired shutter speed or aperture for that particular shot, u may take into consideration about the ISO depending on lighting conditions.

and to determine whether ur photo is overexposed or underexposed, use the histogram.

hehe hope that helps![/quote]

Yea i have little knowledge on shutter spd and apperture combination. i mean, in condition whr light is sufficient, we should use fast shutter speed and low apperture ( prevent exposure) in order to grab sharp pic. keep ISO low to prevent unecessary noise…
While in condition whr light is insufficient, long shutter speed to allow more light coming in… and high apperture to prevent sort of dark photos… ISO also set higher… am i right?

If i want to catch a photo of moon, is that i hve to set to long shutter speed, high apperture and high ISO? pls advice… :oops:

[quote=“craziechild”]is it just me?

i think the TS is talking about bokeh? no?

anyway… yea ligting does helps a lot on sharpness… simple explaination is before the subject or your hand could shake, the pic are already on its way to the memory card…

to get a faster shutter speed, go for bigger aparture which allow more light to go through the lense to the sensor… higher ISO as explained by kroll…

and for bokeh, the bigger the aparture, the more bokeh it is… and also with a big aparture, the longer you zoom in, the more bokeh as well… but you sacrifice your wide angle in doin so…[/quote]

After google the meaning of bokeh… YEAH iam toking about bokeh :mrgreen:
But not the bokeh of background, but it’s the sharpness of object that i try to focus… toking about the lighting helping in sharpness… i guess the picture above is considered to be taken under sufficient light… am i right? :? Though the leaves of trees blocked the direct sunlight…

i think it is not as sharp as what i expect it to be… :oops:

and i guess the lens is not dirty yet since i only use it for once or twice after i got it… :oops:

maybe during the exciting mode of getting first DSLR, i just shoot shooot shoot without caring the setting (Becoz any photos shot will be better than my old IXUS 70 digital camera) :lol: … now get to be cool down a bit and start to think of the proper setting to produce the perfect photos. There it goes my journey of dslr… :roll:

Well, that’s normal. I too was quite excited when I got my first dslr few month back. It’s a D90 also :mrgreen:

from the pic,it seem to me the focus point was on his upper hair,not on his face or eye,maybe becos of distance a bit close therefore which cos the sharrow DOF .Anyway,apart from that,the photos looks sharp to me :slight_smile:

i think he is referring to bokeh??

bokeh not sharp ?

not enough bokeh i think… cuz i think the pic is quite sharp… even on 100% crop…