Photoshop CS3 Workshop - Sunday, 24 Feb 2008

[size=150]Workshop - Introduction to Adobe Photoshop CS3[/size]
[size=150]
Date: Sunday, 24 Feb 2008
Time: 9am-4pm
Venue: Halo Cafe, Miri (lunch is provided)
Special Introductory Price: RM199.00 per person (min. 5 to start, 10 seats available)
Closing Date For Signup: 19 Feb 2008[/size]

Dear friends,

I will be conducting a one day practical workshop on Adobe Photoshop CS3 for beginners at Halo Cafe, Miri at the end of the month. The aim of the workshop is to introduce the basic tools and techniques used for photo repair and enhancement, especially for photographers new to Photoshop.

Lesson notes and practice images will be provided during the workshop, which will be conducted in a fun and casual atmosphere. You are encouraged to bring your own images as well for on-the-spot troubleshooting and discussion. The closing date for signup is 19 Feb, so book early to avoid disappointment!

For samples of my Photoshop work, please visit my website at http://www.georgeting.com. Just post here if you have any questions about the workshop. Thank you!

[size=150]Wishing Everyone A Happy Chinese New Year 2008![/size]

Topics covered:

The Basic Tools

• Navigating through Photoshop, keyboard shortcuts and time saving tips
  • Introduction to layers
  • Basics of opacity and its effects
  • Basics of brush control
  • Basics of selection
  • Basics of layer masks
  • Repair tools: cutting and pasting, clone stamp, healing brush, patch tool

General Image Repair and Enhancements

• Introduction to adjustment layers for image corrections.
  • Layer blend mode effects and using them for repairs
  • Fix overall and isolated colour problems
  • Correcting, enhancing lighting and exposure
  • Blending multiple exposures seamlessly
  • Image cropping, rotating and lens distortion repairs
  • Proper image resizing and sharpening for best quality

Basic Special Effects

• Dynamic vignettes
  • B&W / Colour Toning
  • Blur effects
  • Dodge & Burn for landscapes and portraiture
  • Lomo & cross processed film effect
  • High Pass look (MTV, hip hop style)

Things to bring:

Terms & Conditions:

• To book your seat, please PM me or email workshopa…tgeorgeting.com with your name & contact number to receive payment instructions.
  • Your seat will be confirmed once full payment received, first come first serve basis.
  • No refunds for seat cancellations and no-shows.
  • Booking Closing Date: 19 Feb 2008

Participants List:

I’m interested.

I might be interested if I’m free.

im interested… :slight_smile:

will we be doing RAW processing?

how advanced can u teach in photoshop?
:slight_smile:

As advanced as this: http://www.georgeting.com :slight_smile:

will we be doing RAW processing?

Sure, either via Lightroom or ACR

Hey George… Well Said…hehe… :wink:

Im fresh in photograph and when i saw people take a very nice shoot of photo, i was impress and interested to lean a bit about photograph.

1st question, since now a day the Digital camera was very advance, does the normal Digital Camera with 8 mega pixel can make a good shoot of photo?

Most compact digital cameras these days are advanced and should be able to make good shots, compared with those from few years ago.

Assuming your camera is a compact digital, results should be good as long as your exposure setting is correct and you don’t push the limits of the camera. Try to use the lowest ISO possible to avoid noise, also try using a fixed center focus point rather than letting the camera decide a dynamic point. Practice controlling your flash power (play the +1 or -1 lightning icon!) will help you avoid those black background but white face group photos.

Only when you are wishing for more control, shallow DOF and sharper image quality, then it’s time to upgrade to DSLR :slight_smile:

[quote=“Lim Pek”]
1st question, since now a day the Digital camera was very advance, does the normal Digital Camera with 8 mega pixel can make a good shoot of photo?[/quote]

Lim Pek… that will be RM50 for the first question answer… :lol:

George… RM30 for u and RM20 for me for helping to clear up the payment ya… :lol: :lol: :lol:

• [size=75]I m just kidding dude[/size] *

i m interested too… hav been using photoshop for 5 yrs+… but not very expert still

wow how nice. too bad im not in Miri in the mmt.

im interested to know how to edit like those in magazines e.g GLAM, etc…
i went to your website already, GT, a few times already and i must say you are awesome!

[quote=“GeorgeTing”]Most compact digital cameras these days are advanced and should be able to make good shots, compared with those from few years ago.

Assuming your camera is a compact digital, results should be good as long as your exposure setting is correct and you don’t push the limits of the camera. Try to use the lowest ISO possible to avoid noise, also try using a fixed center focus point rather than letting the camera decide a dynamic point. Practice controlling your flash power (play the +1 or -1 lightning icon!) will help you avoid those black background but white face group photos.

Only when you are wishing for more control, shallow DOF and sharper image quality, then it’s time to upgrade to DSLR :)[/quote]

ok, thanks for the comment :smiley: i saw there s a model of Sony DSLR only cost 1800++, is it consider a good DSLR camera? or any others brand was more realible :roll:

[quote=“Smallee”]
Lim Pek… that will be RM50 for the first question answer… :lol:

George… RM30 for u and RM20 for me for helping to clear up the payment ya… :lol: :lol: :lol:

• [size=75]I m just kidding dude[/size] *[/quote]

Opppss…any special discount for Mc.Net member?? :stuck_out_tongue: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For me I see the photos in GLAM usually are still realistic looking, most probably already done by their makeup artist and proper lighting at the shooting stage. But I share with you the most basic photoshop trick for doing smooth skin:

1. Duplicate the background layer
  2. With the new duplicated layer selected (click on its thumbnail), go to Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur
  3. Select a radius that blurs the skin areas until looks smooth. Click ok.
  4. Go to Layer -> Add Layer Mask -> Hide All
  5. You’ll notice the blur dissappear, so now take a white brush and start brushing back the skin areas, avoid the eyes, eyebrows, clothes and stuff you want to keep clear.
  6. Click again on the thumbnail of the blur layer to select it.
  7. At the top of your layers palette, change the “opacity” slider to 50% more or less depending on how blurry is the layer. You should see the smooth skin coming back, overlapping the original skin.

This method is great if you just want a fast smooth result quickly, but for really perfect work you’ll need lots of cloning, healing and some dodge & burn brushing, which could take at least 1 hour or more.

Another alternative is to use a noise removal plugin like Noise Ninja instead of Gaussian blur (steps 2 & 3). The idea is that the plugin will treat the bad skin as noise and smooth it out for you.

[quote=“Lim Pek”]
ok, thanks for the comment :smiley: i saw there s a model of Sony DSLR only cost 1800++, is it consider a good DSLR camera? or any others brand was more realible :roll:[/quote]

Yes! I think the sony packages are a good deal especially for beginners to DSLR. There’s a package that is 1 body + 2 lens = RM2.4K or something, that one really value for money.

[quote=“GeorgeTing”]For me I see the photos in GLAM usually are still realistic looking, most probably already done by their makeup artist and proper lighting at the shooting stage. But I share with you the most basic photoshop trick for doing smooth skin:

1. Duplicate the background layer
  2. With the new duplicated layer selected (click on its thumbnail), go to Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur
  3. Select a radius that blurs the skin areas until looks smooth. Click ok.
  4. Go to Layer -> Add Layer Mask -> Hide All
  5. You’ll notice the blur dissappear, so now take a white brush and start brushing back the skin areas, avoid the eyes, eyebrows, clothes and stuff you want to keep clear.
  6. Click again on the thumbnail of the blur layer to select it.
  7. At the top of your layers palette, change the “opacity” slider to 50% more or less depending on how blurry is the layer. You should see the smooth skin coming back, overlapping the original skin.

This method is great if you just want a fast smooth result quickly, but for really perfect work you’ll need lots of cloning, healing and some dodge & burn brushing, which could take at least 1 hour or more.

Another alternative is to use a noise removal plugin like Noise Ninja instead of Gaussian blur (steps 2 & 3). The idea is that the plugin will treat the bad skin as noise and smooth it out for you.[/quote]

GT,
you are right about that part - lighting. those GLAM photographers use lots of lighting techniques.

walau~ looks complicated huh especially the brush part. i hate using brush. anyway, i try this and let you know the result. thx for sharing this.

Share with you an example of the effects of retouching hehe…

Now right click and open both in new windows to compare the before and after :slight_smile:
BEFORE vs [url=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2359/2216702294_32745aa5e2_o.jpg]AFTER

This retouch was done a few years back when I was first starting out with photoshop editing, I’ll try to break down the steps involved:

• Skin smoothing using clone stamp only, no blur used to retain some skin texture. I think it took me 1 hour. Nowadays to save time, most probably I’ll use the noise ninja plugin and re-brush in the smoothened skin.

• Face shaping using liquify filter (see the nose and eye shapes, temples squeezed in, lips turned to smile)

• Fake eyeshadow and mascara using brush to paint in on a new layer set to soft light blend mode.

• Fix the upper lip with copy and paste, removing the gap.

• White glow throughout the image using diffuse glow filter. Effect is prominent on white glowy cheeks. Kind of fake looking now haha

• Dodge and burn the shadow areas, effect can be seen especially the jacket area under her right ear, and shadows under her chin, shoulder and temples. Adding fake shadows to strategic areas gives an optical illusion of a slimmer face, or making it more 3D. Those who do traditional painting should be quite good in this.

this short tutorial really make me want to have class with u, sifu GT.
but i have one weakness. i cant stand long hours of editing :frowning:
that is to say i like shooting but dont like the post processing part.