People happy with progress of Pan Borneo Highway project

SERIAN: The people here were delighted with the third phase of the Pan Borneo Highway project which was launched by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Haji Adenan Satem, yesterday.

A 66-year-old farmer Lingai anak Roha said she was happy with the start of the third phase of the highway project in Serian.

She said the highway would definitely benefit farmers like her as they could carry out their daily tasks more efficiently with better road.

Elsie anak Judin, a 50-year-old housewife, said that with the highway, it would be much more easy and faster for her to visit her relatives in Sibu.

“Usually it takes up to eight hours to travel there by car, but with the highway, I think Sibu can be reached in a much shorter time,” she said, adding that she usually took the bus rather than driving her car to travel to Sibu.

But 65-year-old farmer Demong anak Kantan, who moved to Serian in 1989 after marrying his wife who is from here, said the highway project had its pros and cons for him and his family.

He had been affected by the project and would have to be relocated as his land would be acquired for the project.

Originally from Miri, Demong said to return to Miri would definitely be a hard decision for him.

“I am already an old man to move around and I have not been well informed about the compensation that I will be receiving.

“However, the highway will spur many economic activities around the area, and people can move more easily in both directions,” he said.

“With the highway, it will definitely shorten my travel time to Miri by car,” he said, adding that existing trunk road would usually be conjested during festive seasons.

“Sometimes, my journey from Serian to Miri can take up to 18 hours,” he added.

Demong, who has 12 children, 20 grandchildren and two great grandchildren, said the Pan Borneo Highway would undoubtedly benefit the future generation.

LikeTweet

Source: http://miri.my/2016/03/14/people-happy-with-progress-of-pan-borneo-highway-project/

© Copyright 2006-2020 MiriCommunity.net · A JacksonLiaw.com project.