Payment for plastic bags in hyper/supermarket, Miri

(kvkv2009) #1

I thought our Mayor had announced that effective from 01/01/2015, no payment is required for the plastic bags.
However there are hyper/supermarket still collecting for using their plastic bags.
Any comment?

(wgn_white) #2

Eh, I didn’t know that.
Any source link to that announcement?

(4John) #3

Miri scrapping fine in 2.0 Say No to Plastic Bags

http://www.theborneopost.com/2014/12/28/miri-scrapping-fine-in-2-0-say-no-to-plastic-bags/


I believe the announcement by the Mayor is to counter the many new outlets that charged 20 sen based on the Council’s No Plastic Bags campaign but however kept the monies collected instead of donating 10sen for every plastic bag sold to charity. It was a politically correct press statement though :wink:

(kvkv2009) #4

But I noticed that even after that announcement, there are still supermarkets currently charging for using plastic bags…Why ???

(Vandrexz) #5

Supermarket has their right / policy whether to charging for giving plastic bags. Just as the same you has the right / policy whether to go for shopping in this supermarket.

(mike88) #6
Vandrexz said:
Supermarket has their right / policy whether to charging for giving plastic bags. Just as the same you has the right / policy whether to go for shopping in this supermarket.
u sure abt this? :o guardian still charge me 20 sen today.. when i request for the biggest plastic bag,they refuse. since im paying for a plastic bag,i might as well get the biggest one for other usage.. apasal they dun giv? cis..
(Vandrexz) #7
mike88 said:
Vandrexz said:
Supermarket has their right / policy whether to charging for giving plastic bags. Just as the same you has the right / policy whether to go for shopping in this supermarket.
u sure abt this? :o guardian still charge me 20 sen today.. when i request for the biggest plastic bag,they refuse. since im paying for a plastic bag,i might as well get the biggest one for other usage.. apasal they dun giv? cis..
Which one do you mean I am sure about? I mean Supermarket has their right to charge when customer want plastic bags (Guardian did charged you RM 0.20 right?) Of course you can refuse to buy from them as well if they are intended to charge you so.

They also has the right to give free to customer when customer needed it (When you buy something from SuperSave, take away foods [Some might charged as well] or buy some breads from bakery shop)
(kvkv2009) #8

At least the Servay Hypermarket is giving plastic bags for free … :slight_smile:

(4John) #9

I now ask before paying if they provide free plastic bag if they say 20 sen I say thank you and walk off leaving the items on the cashier’s counter. For shops that I know that don’t provide free plastic bags such as the Kenyalang pottery (Ng Siang Hup) I bring along my shopping bag, they at least has a signage at the cashier stating that Everyday is a No Plastic Bag Day and I respect them for that.

Whereas for Guardian, my understanding is that every Friday-to-Sunday are NO Plastic Bag Days for all outlets throughout the Nation, hence the 20 sen, the rest of the days free plastic bags are given when available (they do have limited stock dependent on their principal in KL).

(gorshan) #10

sin liang supermarket now gives free plastic bag. no more charge.

(gorshan) #11

biodegradable plastic bags are now available, maybe local authorities can persuade all shopping outlets to use?

(winwin) #12

Hopefully everyone has his own recycle bag handy whenever he goes shopping to avoid being unnecessarily charged for requesting plastic bag.

(kvkv2009) #13

My concern here is these supermarket should provide free plastic bags for carrying our items purchased, but now they try all the ways to cut their cost including plastic bags…

(SuperBen6) #14

1 bag costs around 0.003 sen
imagine the profit!!!

(Athrun_zala_faith) #15
kvkv2009 said:
My concern here is these supermarket should provide free plastic bags for carrying our items purchased, but now they try all the ways to cut their cost including plastic bags...
Somehow i do not agreed that Plastic bags are to be mandatory. Where did all the plastic bags gone to when you reach home?
I would like people to bring their own shopping bag, or the super market to give out boxes for free (boxes are much easier to degrade than plastic), seriously....i think we should do something on cutting down unnecessary rubbish.

(SuperBen6) #16
Athrun_zala_faith said:
kvkv2009 said:
My concern here is these supermarket should provide free plastic bags for carrying our items purchased, but now they try all the ways to cut their cost including plastic bags...
Somehow i do not agreed that Plastic bags are to be mandatory. Where did all the plastic bags gone to when you reach home?
I would like people to bring their own shopping bag, or the super market to give out boxes for free (boxes are much easier to degrade than plastic), seriously....i think we should do something on cutting down unnecessary rubbish.

What do you bring?
(summer sunshine) #17

If I forget to bring my shopping bag then I’ll only get whatever my hands can hold, just get the most urgently needed items first. Too many plastic bags is a storage problem too.
As on whether plastic bags should be charged at RM0.20 or provided for free, as long as the shops have clear notice on their policy then it’s ok, the customers could choose then whether to pay or not for the plastic bags.

(Leslie Goh) #18

I think the problem is that there are no clear rules or regulations set by the local government on the matter … and add to the fact that the enforcement is not there anyways … that is why supermarkets and hypermarkets can get away with charging it …

(Kieu Tinh) #19

The habit of using plastic bags is very difficult away!

(farah asyikin) #20

for u guys info,actually same goes in Peninsular as well…for me,it good to us avoid the plastic bag and save our earth. Pity of our generation like our child…