Pay Rise- how it should effect EVERYONE

hello miri,

i do think that a good thing must be shared by everyone ( all for one and one for all) right?

i know, im being ideal…

p/s: and what’s this about hiking up every other thing’s prices just because the government is being generous? that’s a bunch of crap, comin from heartless people, or people who don’t meditate and think how lucky they are to be able to do what they do today.

what say you?

What I’ve discovered is that most business owners (mainly coffeeshops) have no sense of business in terms of quality of service and jack up prices at every single opportunity. Some even jack up prices while cutting costs like ingredients are taken out from their food so you get a very expensive lousy food. For that second one, I hope their restaurant gets overrun with rats.

Anyway, this is the kind of people we always have to deal with every day. Most of them aren’t qualified to be running businesses at all (ie no business sense). But then again, it’s pretty lame for every single thing to increase in price while the more proper businesses are asked by the government to not increase prices just a few months ago.

And just recently, flour has gotten expensive. Looks like even bread will be that much harder to eat.

let see, whr can i start…let start from looking at the big picture.

with the country biggest employer given raise to their employees, more money will be channel directly into the hand of the end user. Project mostly only benefit the big bosses as they get significant more than their employees and hence the money is not flowing as fast or as much as the government wanted. with the money now in the hand of someone that will make sure the money will be flowing into the market, we will be seeing better financial result in a lot of business sector.

however, this could also translate into higher inflation as demand will be much higher and hence higher price in products. some might argue that higher price might be also due to the greedy businessperson which i’m not going to debate about it as this is also partly correct.

for those who work for the government, such hype will only last as long the spending period adjustment. we are talking about the first few months of the raise. after this, everything is back to what it is as before the raise. ppl will start complaining how the raise is not sufficient and not enough compare to the ever increasing living cost.

for those who work in the private sector, they will continue to suffer if the government call for private sectors’ employers to increase the salary is not answered.

for the current ruling government, they will be all prepared to receive the big challenge in the near future, “THE GENERAL ELECTION”.

as for the ppl in miri, well, for my own point of view, we will continue to suffer as the state government and local government are not doing the right thing to improve the life of mirian.

so overall, how do i see view about the pay rise?..the whole idea is good if only the plan is execute properly while keeping the side effect to the absolute minimum…

Or put another way, the government servants’ pay could’ve been much higher, and more demanding (getting the brightest and best of people) if all that money isn’t spent on projects that leak, expire, collapse, crack and cancelled.

As for Miri, if you did some studying of the economy, the money mostly flows out of the city (to places like KL), some flow in a closed selected loop, only some are being actually spent back into the city.

humm…

first of all lemme just say that you guys are pretty savvy with words… almost immediately i felt like i am 6 years old again, ponytails and all, blinking and blinking away to some adults talking using big words… (i know, i am a sucker for big adult words)

but anyway, day by day i just wish that i dont get to know so much about the world we live in today or yesterday… it just gets to my system, feeling that this world that we inhibited is more or less a very very very corrupt world.

do you ever get to feel that whenever you discover something about life, you just feel kinda weird?

hmmm

http://www.thestaronline.com/news/story … sec=nation

RM22,500 fine for selling Milo at RM1.80

BY R.S.N.MURALI
newsdesk@thestar.com.my

KUALA TERENGGANU: Traders had better think twice before raising prices following the recent pay rise for civil servants.

A mamak restaurant here, which charged RM1.80 for a glass of iced Milo about 20sen to 30sen more than the usual price has been hit with a RM22,500 compound fine.

As a deterrent to others, enforcement officers from the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry also seized food and drinks worth about RM750 and tore down the shops signboard.

State enforcement chief Abdul Ghani Harun said the fine was the maximum for the offence and the operator had 14 days to settle the summonses.

This is the first time that the state enforcement squad had meted out the maximum penalty against a trader for failure to display the price of goods and for indiscriminately increasing the price, he said.

In Banting, Selangor, Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Datuk Mohd Shafie Apdal said its enforcement officers had inspected 15,206 premises since the pay rise was announced.

[quote=“nightwing”]http://www.thestaronline.com/news/story.asp?file=/2007/5/28/nation/17860777&sec=nation

RM22,500 fine for selling Milo at RM1.80

BY R.S.N.MURALI
newsdesk@thestar.com.my

KUALA TERENGGANU: Traders had better think twice before raising prices following the recent pay rise for civil servants.

A mamak restaurant here, which charged RM1.80 for a glass of iced Milo about 20sen to 30sen more than the usual price has been hit with a RM22,500 compound fine.

As a deterrent to others, enforcement officers from the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry also seized food and drinks worth about RM750 and tore down the shops signboard.

State enforcement chief Abdul Ghani Harun said the fine was the maximum for the offence and the operator had 14 days to settle the summonses.

This is the first time that the state enforcement squad had meted out the maximum penalty against a trader for failure to display the price of goods and for indiscriminately increasing the price, he said.

In Banting, Selangor, Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Datuk Mohd Shafie Apdal said its enforcement officers had inspected 15,206 premises since the pay rise was announced.[/quote]

i wonder how many F&B operator in Miri will be fine for charging RM1.80 for Milo. hehehe…

i agree with ian. especially the part whr the money are only looping internally.

good example is SY. the are arguably one of the largest employer in Miri. the money earn by they staff end up back to their employer as they are spending in place like boulevard hypermarket. not to mention some unseen money are put in the pocket of some of the their own family or their associate. not enough money are put back into the community to allowed it to grow.

back to the effect of pay rise, frankly speaking, i’m really worried that this will create more negative impact than the positive one. i just got a feeling that the situation will get worst as times goes by. the government plan to curb increasing price hike is not working. although the ringgit is now stronger against the dollar since the peg is remove but we had not felt the so call cheaper price as predicted by most ppl. we are still paying way to much for a lot of thing.

it’s all ready in the hands of those that have knowledge- in finance, in economics, in business and so forth.

what is all that knowledge for if not for the good of people?

it’s a good thing, this pay rise. psychologically. physically, how would it really bring any good to the people if inflation strikes again? those little things that went overlooked most of the time, things like prices of domestic products, would really cause a stir amongst us malaysians who usually remain anonymous to politics, bribery and power play that the newspapers and other medias are so possessed with.

p/s: i wonder if there is nothing else better to dwell in other than politics, war, and currency exchange?

just me sayin’

Thanks for the news article Nightwing. Just food for thought to the news post:

A glass of iced Milo (Milo Peng) has been RM1.80 since last year in Miri in most places. Now that is really an eye opener.

here it is RM 2.60 !