Parliament roof in bad condition

House of Leaks: Parliament roof in bad condition, says Samy Vellu
By : V. Vasudevan

KUALA LUMPUR: Very bad.

That is how Works Minister Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu described the condition of the roof of Parliament House after inspecting it for about 45 minutes with

“As an architect, I can tell you it is very bad. I dont want to hide anything from you. There is a lot of work to be done here,” he said at a press conference in the lobby of parliament.

He said the repairs would involve removing concrete slabs, waterproofing the roof and installing concealed ceiling equipment for heat protection.

“The plastic pipes will have to be replaced with class-A cast iron pipes.”
The damaged pipes had resulted in water not flowing off the roof.

Samy Vellu said there was a pile of rubbish, mainly construction waste, on the roof and this had to be removed.

He said there were leaks in five places.

“These could increase to 10 or 15 in the future if nothing is done now.”

Asked why the renovation on the building earlier had not looked at waterproofing the roof, he said the contract did not provide for this.

The interior restoration and renovation were carried out in 2005 and it cost RM90 million.

He inspected the roof leaks in the building following heavy rain on May 10.

The last time this happened was in April 2005.

He said everyone was to be blamed for the leakage.

"The Public Works Department is in charge of public buildings. They should have acted and advised the government to carry out repairs.

“The parliament maintenance crew also appears to have been negligent.”

He said a paper on the maintenance work and repair costs would be submitted to the cabinet.

“After this repairs, I want to make sure there will be no more such complaints for the next 20 or 30 years.”

Minister in the Prime Ministers Department Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz said parliament did not have the technical staff to do maintenance.

“We need the expertise of the PWD and I hope the Works Ministry will assign an engineer or technician to Parliament House.”

source:http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/Frontpage/20070518073217/Article/index_html

Only in Malaysia ministers can get away with these type of comments.Shouldn’t they use good quality pipes in the last renovation using 90million?..

Samy,if there is renovation done again, I hope you will be alive for another 30years to comment again on the quality of the work.

Minister level…costs go up in millions
Restaurant level…costs go up 10 cents to RM1.00

Middle and lower income group struggle to live…

2007… Year of 50th Merdeka celebration

Wow. Since when Mr Semi Value is an Architect ? Replaced with cast iron pipe? I thought cast iron pipes are no longer preferred. Higher class UPVC should be sufficient.