No More Fishing Licence To Foreign Fishermen From Next Year

Source: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news.php?id=226386

October 26, 2006 12:05 PM

No More Fishing Licence To Foreign Fishermen From Next Year - Rohani

KUCHING, Oct 26 (Bernama) – Malaysia will stop renewing deepsea fishing licence to foreign fishermen from next year to ensure local fishermen made full use of the RM400 million Integrated Deepsea Fishing Port in Tanjung Manis.

Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Ministry parliamentary secretary Datuk Rohani Abdul Karim said the ministry encouraged local fishermen to venture into deepsea fishing and to make use of the port’s facilities.

The Tanjung Manis Integrated Deepsea Port, the first port of its kind in the country, is expected to be completed in December. It will serve as a catalyst to develop the deepsea fishing industry and fish-based products processing business in the country.

"I don’t want the deepsea fishing port to become a white elephant. We’ve spent a big sum of money and I want it to succeed.

“I want to see only local fishermen and local fishing boats to be involved in deepsea fishing,” she told reporters.

To ensure the port did not become a “white elephant”, Rohani said she would chair a dialogue on Nov 10 between the port users and officials of the Sarawak Fisheries Department and Fisheries Development Authority of Malaysia.

She said the dialogue has been arranged following a request from the port users to ensure a “win-win” situation when the port starts operations.

Problems faced by the government and port users would be discussed at the dialogue, she said.

"Many of the port users have complained that the government was very strict in handling the port operations. They said the government should adopt a softer approach.

“To seek the best solution, both parties need to meet, listen and find a way out,” she said, adding that a pragmatic approach was crucial to ensure the port was not abandoned.

– BERNAMA