No apology!

Cabinet rejects apology from Negaraku rapper

By LOH FOON FONG

KUALA LUMPUR: The Cabinet has not accepted student Wee Meng Chees apology for the furore caused by his Negaraku rap videoclip on video-sharing web portal YouTube.

Minister in the Prime Ministers Department Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz said the Cabinet had decided yesterday that they were not in the position to forgive him and that the law would have to take its course.

The offence was not against the Prime Minister or ministers concerned but against the nation, Nazri told reporters after the launch of the International Conference on Media and Information Warfare: A Global Challenge of the 21st Century here.

If he had committed an offence, which I think was an offence, then we must allow the Attorney General to investigate and decide whether to take him to court, he said.

Wee had on Tuesday apologised for the parody and agreed to remove the videoclip from his blog.

Nazri said Wees apology could be used as mitigation in sentencing but not as a reason to not prosecute him.

To not prosecute him is not on at all because he has committed an offence against the nation and no one, not the Cabinet or political parties, are in the position to forgive him, he said.

Wee could be charged under the Sedition Act because he had insulted the symbol of the nation, he said.

We cannot be like the West where you can have the underwear with the design of the Union Jack. In Britain, you can insult the Queen or the flag, I dont care, but in this country we have laws and we cannot create a precedent where you commit an offence, apologise and get away with it, he said adding that Wee was not a boy but a 24-year-old man and he should be held responsible for the act.

It is not an issue of ethnicity or being racial but against national interest, he said.

When asked how Wee had insulted the national anthem, Nazri said the song was supposed to be sung based on how it should be sung, otherwise, it would mean insulting the song, especially when the lyrics were changed.

Malaysia Negaraku ku. ‘Ku ku’ can also mean cuckoo so it was insulting. I dont think this was done out of ignorance. He was a university student and he meant to insult the national song, he said.

On whether Wee would be called home to answer charges against him, Nazri said the AG would have to investigate and if he comes to the decision to prosecute him, then when Wee returns, he would have to face the charges.

He also said that he wanted action to be taken against video-sharing portal YouTube and other bloggers who have allowed sensitive material to be published that went against the law of our country.

‘Ku’ in mandarin means ‘bitterness’. I wished the parliament would concentrate the effort put in this in other areas, like crime rate reduction, for example.

…and why is this in the jokes section?

“He also said that he wanted action to be taken against video-sharing portal YouTube and other bloggers who have allowed sensitive material to be published that went against the law of our country.”

• I LOL’ed

malaysian ministers = always shoot at their own feet wif their stupid press statements lol

[quote=“relaxjack”]“He also said that he wanted action to be taken against video-sharing portal YouTube and other bloggers who have allowed sensitive material to be published that went against the law of our country.”

• I LOL’ed[/quote]

Aaah. You’ve answered my question… so this rightfully belonged in the joke section in the first place… :stuck_out_tongue:

heheheh, nice…

[quote=“jt7618”]
He also said that he wanted action to be taken against video-sharing portal YouTube and other bloggers who have allowed sensitive material to be published that went against the law of our country.[/quote]

See what blind patriotism does to some people?

Stupidity at its best.

this issue just show how some of the government personnel could not face the fact…what he is singing is the truth and truth sometimes hurt…election is coming up…don’t think they will get a lot of support from certain people…

something to point out against…the song is call “Negarakuku”…simply mean “Negaraku Ku”…“My Negaraku”…show how dirty for those who first think of the “kuku” first…grow up la…

talking about wearing Union Jack underwear… saw some waitress in KFC wearing malaysia flag as their uniform…sue KFC la…bring them to court la…charge them under the Sedition Act la…don’t just sue the ppl who embarrass by u for pointing out the truth…

stop creativity, stop personality, stop individuality mean you are stopping progress…in most situation now, when you stop progress it mean you are back warding…

i tot some minister suggest namewee to apologize thru youtube.
this is a good reason 4 him to change his passport n migr8.

D truth owest hurts…

To not prosecute him is not on at all because he has committed an offence against the nation and no one, not the Cabinet or political parties, are in the position to forgive him, he said.

Who said “no one”?? I am a Malaysian and I forgive him. I said. 8)

I am a Malaysian and I forgive him.

Oh definitely. Even for those who don’t forgive him, they still forgive him more than the person who killed the Mongolian woman by blowing her up with explosives. By far.

aiyo…so short-minded people…even, they also want to take action against the people who were using youtube, so stupid statement…

where is the principles “buang yg keruh, ambil yg jernih”??? what they want for meng chee actually? they want to punish him like hell??

come on la…the people they should punish like people who blow up the mongolian women like ian said…

malaysia is ruled by a bunch of gollums then :lol:

remember lord of the rings: the two towers? the part when gollum said “Go away! And NEVER come back”?

better to forgive the poor fellow than to forgive numerous snatch thieves, burglars, corrupt officials, rapist & the sort.

You mean they go “My precious…” and then argue with themselves?

[quote=“QueBlur”]this issue just show how some of the government personnel could not face the fact…what he is singing is the truth and truth sometimes hurt…election is coming up…don’t think they will get a lot of support from certain people…

something to point out against…the song is call “Negarakuku”…simply mean “Negaraku Ku”…“My Negaraku”…show how dirty for those who first think of the “kuku” first…grow up la…

talking about wearing Union Jack underwear… saw some waitress in KFC wearing malaysia flag as their uniform…sue KFC la…bring them to court la…charge them under the Sedition Act la…don’t just sue the ppl who embarrass by u for pointing out the truth…

stop creativity, stop personality, stop individuality mean you are stopping progress…in most situation now, when you stop progress it mean you are back warding…[/quote]

it is you that could’nt face the fact that this is not about hiding the truth. this is about mempertahankan kedaulatan negara. its about nationalisme. there are many other way to protest without using the national anthem. he should be ashame with his action. we malaysian are not that stupid sampai mok menghalalkan what he did. dia adalah contoh terbaik penyumbang kepada peristiwa 13mei utk berulang kembali. not to say that i have short minded brain, but this is malaysia, and this kind of issue is very sensitive. please respect each other.

about that kuku issue, why must he choose that word in the first place? u want to cover it up by saying he probably use it as negaraku ku? my negara ku? u grow up first before making that lame cover up.

talking about the contents/lyrics. ive been trying to control myself not to bring this up. but some people just make it coming in. i agree everything he said about the government. but nobody say a thing about the part where he include unnecessary remarks on islam? those are clearly an insult to me.

im as a muslim, i will forgive him for the insult. but i still want the government to take action against him for menghasut hatred among us. thank you for your time, peace

13 may incident is cause by d chinese?
heheehehe
read more uncensored history books la kawan.
dun simply accuse sebarang.
there was a thread about tis last time

it’s true dat civil servant mmg slow n lazy buat keja.
it’s true dat d police can setel things like dat songs mention
masing2 cari makan mah…

so far i think namewee can be charged for insultin islam n national anthem.
but is it applicable since d offense was conducted outside malaysia?
karpal singh would love it love it to take this case …
:wink:

apology accepted but will face the law too…well…how bout this situation…
regarding the two monkeys which say about the “bocor” every month issue??
they apologies…but the rakyats doesnt accept their apology… so this means… these 2 monkeys will also be charged in court 2?

well…what do u think?? i dont f*cking think so!!

fck those dck head!

I agree with iWeed.

Wee’s choice of the national anthem is a bit ‘questionable’ - but then again this is a lot better than all the other insults Out There being swept under the rug to and was brought to light just exactly how thin a thread this nation is hanging onto in terms of not only racial unity, but politically as well. It also showed how many Malaysians always seem to confuse politics with religion and race. In short, it’s good in a way this was brought up otherwise would’ve been remained buried in the many other forms to give all of us a good eyebrow raising.

We appreciate that you’ve taken the insults to your beliefs in a very mature, iWeed.

So I hope there will be no further throwing of insults and continue with the constructive comments that many are not really showing lately. Imagine if the headlines in other countries go “Country goes into disarray due to Youtube video”. That would sound utterly stupid.