Next angkasawan in 2011? Malaysia to buy Soyuz spacecraft?

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/11/6/nation/19386322&sec=nation

Excerpt:

[i]Dr Jamaludin also said that the second Angkasawan Dr Faiz Khaleed, who was scheduled to go to space by 2011, would have to extend the contract requiring him to remain single.

Dr Faiz probably would have to extend it by another two years, said Dr Jamaludin.

He also revealed that Russia has offered to sell the Soyuz spacecraft, which carried Dr Sheikh Muszaphar to space, to Malaysia.

Dr Jamaludin said he was in the midst of gathering feedback from people on whether the spacecraft should be bought before presenting the proposal to the Cabinet.

He told the MPs to support the proposal and discuss the issue in the Dewan Rakyat.

I would gather feedback first to see whether the people are for it and whether the price offered is good before making any proposal to the Cabinet, he said.

Dr Jamaludin said the purpose of doing so would be to sustain the interest of the younger generation in space for a longer time by enabling children to have a chance to take a look at the spaceship. [/i]

What do you guys think?

a waste of people’s money.

This totally craps!!!

Why would Malaysia need a spacecraft? and just where are they going to launch it if they bought it??? In between petronas twin tower??? this is insane…

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Dr Jamaludin also said that the second Angkasawan Dr Faiz Khaleed, who was scheduled to go to space by 2011, would have to extend the contract requiring him to remain single.

This guy will get married by 2009, read the news today.

He also revealed that Russia has offered to sell the Soyuz spacecraft, which carried Dr Sheikh Muszaphar to space, to Malaysia.

Probably Petronas wants some share in the Shakalin area too. But it will be hard. Morning meetings MUST be accompanied by vodka, as per Russian tradition. Knowing well that the Russian economy is in a bad state now.

a good souvenir…of honor and glory?

i dont mind if they buy it personally… with their own private assets.

btw, how many astronauts they need to send to space…

I read in newspaper last week,“the next Malaysian astronaut can be from a longhouse in Sarawak or Sabah”.They were actually encouraging people to apply .I wonder how much of money being spend on all these process on training thousands and selecting them.

In the end, do you know who will be selected to go to space?..well They know who will be selected… :roll:

[quote=“junkai”]a good souvenir…of honor and glory?

i dont mind if they buy it personally… with their own private assets.

btw, how many astronauts they need to send to space…[/quote]

That’s not gonna happen dude. It’s always the people’s money.

WTF he doing? getting too free and nothing to do? Or trying to get rip of some fat ass goverment pocket money? Whats the point malaysia send astronauts to the space with spending tons of money to train and the expenses to the Russia? Just to show out that " Hello aerospace, Im here, Malaysia Boleh" then come back to earth again? Totally insane and wasting malaysian people money. Really bull ■■■■!! :evil:

All of them only want face and to be proud to go to space. Even many ppl thinks it a waste of money. They use other country space craft to go and already think our country is advance. Other country laugh at us, thinking how stupid. Wasting country’s money & proudly saying Malaysia Boleh! Even Singapore, Taiwan, Korea, UK which are much richer and advance than us to waste that kind of money. Only big country like US, Russia and China are capable.

there goes my annually RMxxxx tax money. what a waste!!!

Friend, no money spent means no leakages. So have to spend more la so that can siphon some to their own pocket.

Waste of tax payer money !!!