News nibbles

(The Star) #1

Imam who doubles up as a cobbler

BESUT: As a firm believer of the principle that ‘opportunities can be found anywhere’, a young imam of a mosque in the district is not ashamed to work as a cobbler at the Jertih market to earn additional income for his family. Rohaizad Rasli, 28, who is the imam of the Al Faqeh Mosque in Balik Bukit, Jertih, fills his free time repairing shoes and leather goods at a workshop which he opened a decade ago. “After completing my Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia, I learnt how to repair shoes from my father every day for two years while studying the Quran and Arabic language at night. “It was hard to get a job back then, so I ventured into this field because I believe opportunities could be found anywhere. We just need to seize them,” said the father of three. — Bernama Woman jumps to her death during anti-drug raid MIRI: A woman died after she fell from the seventh-floor of a hotel-cum-apartment near the airport here during an anti-drug raid. Miri police chief Asst Comm Lim Meng Siah said the police has classified the 9pm case that happened on Sunday night as suicide. He said when the police team raided the apartment,they found a man and a woman inside a room. “While the police team was carrying out checks,the woman suddenly rushed out onto the balcony and jumped,” he said. ACP Lim said a small packet believed to contain methamphetamine was recovered. Man detained over slashing incident triggered by revenge PETALING JAYA: A 33-year-old man has been detained in connection with the case of a 28-yearold victim who was found with serious injuries in a road tunnel along Jalan PJU 1A/42, here. Petaling Jaya OCPD ACP Mohd Zani Che Din said the suspect was picked up a day after the incident. “We believe the motive behind the attack is revenge. The victim had apparently lodged a police report in March against a group of men who was making noise and drinking alcohol at the Mitra Land Parking in Kota Damansara,” he said. Tamil news returns on BNC KUALA LUMPUR: Tamil news has made a comeback on air on the Bernama News Channel (BNC). Malaysian National News Agency (Bernama) CEO Datuk Zulkefli Salleh said it would broadcast daily at 7pm, with a repeat at 12.30am. The Tamil News unit will be headed by K. Ghandi, he said in a statement. He said preparations for resuming its news segment in Mandarin was also underway and an announcement on the broadcast date would be made later. — Bernama Bleak Hari Raya for air force man

GEORGE TOWN: A Royal Malaysian Air Force personnel is facing a bleak Hari Raya after his house in Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway was razed. Mohd Hilmi Mohd Hasan, 30, said his family lost all their belongings in the 10am incident yesterday. “I was asleep at that time. I lost everything, including money I had planned to give out as ‘duit raya’,” he said. Mohd Hilmi said he and six of his family members managed to escape unhurt. Bayan Baru fire station senior officer Mohd Tarmizi Abdul Salam said the fire razed six fishermen’s huts, two shops and a house. Myanmar man stabbed to death after drinking binge at workers dorm BUKIT MER TAJAM: Police are looking for a Myanmar national for allegedly stabbing his countryman at a workers dormitory here in Jalan Bukit Tambun, Juru, on Sunday. The victim identified as Sai Ko Ko, a factory operator in his 20s, was found dead with two stab wounds on his chest at 8.55pm on Sunday. Central Seberang Prai OCPD Asst Comm Nik Ros Azhan Nik Abdul Hamid said that early investigation showed that the two were fighting after a drinking binge. “We arrested one suspect known as Maung, 23, who allegedly stabbed the victim and are looking for his accomplice known as Naing Naing,” he said. ACP Nik Ros Azhan said police also arrested six people comprising two Nepalese men and four Malaysians to help in the investigation. The case is being investigated under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

Source: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/06/12/news-nibbles/