News nibbles


(The Star) #1

Education Blueprint to be modified

PUTRAJAYA: The Malaysia Education Blueprint 2013-2025 will be modified to suit national and international requirements, said Education secretary-general Datuk Seri Alias Ahmad.

“The philosophy and thrusts of the blueprint will be maintained although Pakatan Harapan has now taken over the reins of the government.

“The blueprint, which ends in 2025, is flexible and can be modified based on the current needs and demands of the education system, whether they are national or international,” he told reporters after launching the #TerimaKasihCikgu2018 fun walk in conjunction with the national-level Teachers Day celebrations.

Alias also said teachers were the “agents of change and are looked at as an institution that is very important in shaping future generations”.

This year’s Teachers Day theme is “Teachers are the drivers of education transformation”.

Trail of destruction

Six people were injured in an accident involving a row of 17 vehicles which were crashed by a lorry which had brake failure at the traffic light intersection in Pekan Simpang Kuala, Alor Setar. — Bernama

Two Chinese nationals were not abducted

JOHOR BARU: Police have rubbished a report claiming that two Chinese nationals were abducted and locked in a hotel room here.

Johor police chief Comm Datuk Mohd Khalil Kader Mohd said the duo, aged 35 and 57, were allegedly “abducted” while exiting the country to enter Singapore.

He said a police team managed to locate the two individuals and investigations revealed that there were no criminal elements in the case.

“We have informed their family members and the Macau police of the matter and a police report has been lodged by the victims,” he said.

Both returned to Macau via Changi Airport yesterday.

Kitchen helper loses four fingers in mishap

MIRI: A kitchen helper at the Miri Imperial Hotel lost four fingers after his hand got stuck in a meat-grinder while preparing food for guests at about 11pm on Monday.

Miri fire chief Supt Law Poh Kiong said firemen took apart the machine to free the man’s hand.

Supt Law the victim was conscious throughout the ordeal and was rushed to the Miri Hospital emergency room.

Border agency foils bid to smuggle ketum leaves

PASIR MAS: The Kelantan Border Security Agency has foiled an attempt to smuggle 150kg of ketum leaves worth RM7,500 to Thailand in Kampung Kubang Pak Itam, Rantau Panjang here.

According to Bernama, the agency’s Rantau Panjang commander Shuhaidi Saidon said the leaves, in gunny sacks, were in a car found at an unoccupied house in the village on Monday.

He said prior to the discovery, the car was spotted by a patrol unit at 11th Mile in Tanah Merah.

The team went on a high-speed chase for about 60km but eventually lost sight of the car.

Malaysia condemns Surabaya bombings

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Government has condemned the suicide bombings in Surabaya which claimed the lives of 16 people.

The Foreign Ministry in a statement said there were no Malaysian casualties and the Malaysian Embassy in Jakarta was in constant contact with the Indonesian authorities.

“The Malaysian Government also conveyed heartfelt condolences to the Indonesian government and the families of the victims. We hope those injured will recover soon,” it said.

Malaysians in Indonesia, especially Surabaya, have been advised to exercise caution and abide by directives issued by the local authorities.

Those requiring consular assistance can contact the Malaysian Embassy at Jalan H.R. Rasuna Said, Mukim X/6, No 1-3 Kuningan, Jakarta Selatan, 12950.

They can also call +62215224947 or +6281380813036 (after office hours), or e-mail mwjakarta@kln.gov.my.

Journalist fined for making false police report

BUKIT MERTAJAM: A journalist was fined RM1,200 by a magistrate’s court here for making a false police report that he had been robbed.

According to Bernama, magistrate Dianne Ningrad Nor Azahar meted out the sentence on Fong Kee Soon, 37, after he admitted to giving false written information at the Perai police station at 9.14pm on May 2.

He settled the fine.

Earlier, Fong, who was represented by lawyer K. Kumarathiraviam, appealed for a fine as it was his first offence and it only involved a “harmless” police report.

Fong claimed two men on a motorcycle had kicked his motorcycle before taking his backpack.

However, police investigation found that he had made the false police report due to financial problems.

Source: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/05/16/two-chinese-nationals-were-not-abducted-kitchen-helper-loses-four-fingers-in-mishap-trail-of-destru/