Najib Wins Umno Presidency Unopposed

Source: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=368830

November 02, 2008 20:44 PM

Najib Wins Umno Presidency Unopposed

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 2 (Bernama) – Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has won the Umno presidency unopposed after getting 22 more nominations by 7pm Sunday, bringing the total number so far to 135.

The 22 nominations for Najib, who is also Umno deputy president, came from the Batu Kawan, Tawau, Silam, Keningau, Teluk Kemang, Tampin, Puchong, Sekijang, Ayer Hitam, Kulim-Bandar Baharu, Tanjung Malim, Segamat, Bentong, Kapar, Kota Raja, Muar, Indera Mahkota, Klang, Cameron Highlands, Teluk Intan, Balik Pulau and Labuan divisions.

Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah who also offered to contest the Umno president post, has so far obtained only one nomination from the Gua Musang division which he heads.

Former Negeri Sembilan Menteri Besar Tan Sri Isa Samad, meanwhile, has qualified to contest the party vice-president post after meeting the quota of 20 nominations, including seven received Sunday.

The seven divisions that nominated Isa for the post were Tampin, Ayer Hitam, Muar, Kapar, Keningau, Teluk Kemang and Teluk Intan.

International Trade and Industry Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin still leads in nominations for the deputy president post with 77 so far after getting nine more today from the Muar, Bentong, Segamat, Kulim-Bandar Baharu, Sekijang, Labuan, Batu Kawan, Tawau and Silam divisions.

Melaka Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam received six more nominations from the Air Hitam, Tanjung Malim, Tampin, Keningau, Teluk Kemang and Indera Mahkota divisions, bringing the total so far to 31.

He needs eight more nominations to qualify to contest for the party No. 2 post.

There were six more nominations today for Rural and Regional Development Minister Tan Sri Muhammad Muhd Taib, from the Kapar, Kota Raja, Puchong, Klang, Cameron Highlands and Teluk Intan divisions, adding up to 26 so far.

Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Datuk Shahrir Abdul Samad still has only nomination for the post which he got from the Gua Musang division Saturday.

For the post of vice-president, Education Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein received 16 more nominations today, adding up to 111, while Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi has 80 so far, including 11 received Sunday.

Hishammuddin received the nominations from the Sekijang, Ayer Hitam, Kulim-Bandar Baharu, Tanjung Malim, Segamat, Bentong, Kapar, Kota Raja, Muar, Batu Kawan, Tawau, Silam, Keningau, Teluk Intan, Klang and Indera Mahkota divisions.

The nominations for Ahmad Zahid today came from the Labuan, Balik Pulau, Puchong, Sekijang, Kulim-Bandar Baharu, Tanjung Malim, Klang, Teluk Intan, Teluk Kemang, Silam and Batu Kawan divisions.

Unity, Culture, Arts and Heritage Minister Datuk Mohd Shafie Apdal has accumulated 55 nominations, including 11 received today, and Higher Education Minister Datuk Seri Khaled Nordin has accumulated 53 after getting seven more.

Shafie received nominations from the Batu Kawan, Tawau, Silam, Keningau, Indera Mahkota, Klang, Labuan, Tampin, Puchong, Balik Pulau and Kapar divisions, and Khaled from the Puchong, Sekijang, Ayer Hitam, Muar, Segamat, Cameron Highlands and Balik Pulau divisions.

The other aspirants for the vice-president post include Datuk Seri Dr Jamaluddin Jarjis who received nominations from the Labuan, Cameron Highlands, Indera Mahkota and Kota Raja divisions, bringing the accumulated nominations to 15, and Tan Sri Abdul Rahim Tamby Chik with one more from the Tampin division, adding up to 10 for him so far.

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim has got 14 nominations so far, including from the Segamat, Bentong, Kulim-Bandar Baharu, Teluk Kemang and Cameron Highlands divisions Sunday.

Johor Wanita Umno chief Datuk Halimah Mohamad Sadique and former deputy finance minister Datuk Dr Affifuddin Omar each still has one nomination that came from the Gua Musang division Saturday.

The other aspirants are Home Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar who has 24 nominations so far, Datuk Seri Shahidan Kassim (6), Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan (3), Datuk Seri Musa Aman (2), Tan Sri Annuar Musa (1) and Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam (1). Meanwhile, the Silam Umno division delegates’ meeting was said to have taken the longest time, at 24 hours.

The meeting which started at about 9am Saturday and ended only at 8.30am Sunday, however, saw Najib nominated for the presidency and Muhyiddin for the deputy president post.

Muhyiddin’s nomination was through secret balloting as the earlier decision to nominate Muhammad was rejectd by the delegates.

Another earlier decision to nominate Khaled Nordin, Rahim Thamby Chik and Dr Jamaluddin Jarjis for the vice-president posts were also rejected by the delegates.

They eventually chose Hishammuddin, Ahmad Zahid and Mohd Shafie for the three slots.

Wanita Umno vice-chief Datuk Shahrizat Abdul Jalil today received two nominations from the Temerloh and Labuan divisions to contest the Wanita chief post.

Shahrizat has so far amassed 66 nominations for the post, well exceeding the quota of 39, while the incumbent Wanita chief Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz still leads with 103 nominations.

The Temerloh and Labuan divisions also nominated Wanita executive committee (exco) member Datuk Kamilia Ibrahim for the vice-chief post. She has so todate, obtained 50 nominations.

Shahrizat, however, leads in nominations for the post, with 101 so far, while Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said has 13, Deputy Natural Resources and Environment Minister Datuk Maznah Mazlan and Halimah Sadique have two each, while Wanita exco member Datuk Dr Norraesah Mohamad has one.

Todate, all the Wanita divisional wings in Johor, Melaka, Perlis, Pahang and Terengganu have completed their delegates’ meetings.

In the contest for the Umno Youth chief post, Jerlun MP and Youth exco member Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir is still ahead with 70 nominations, including two received Sunday from the Temerloh and Kangar divisions.

Former Selangor Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Mohd Khir Toyo had three more, bringing the accumulated nominations for him to 56, while the movement’s deputy head and Rembau MP Khairy Jamaluddin has not received any additional nomination today to the 50 he already has.

For the Umno Youth deputy chief post, Muar MP Datuk Razali Ibrahim has 91 nominations while his close challenger, Umno Youth exco member Datuk Reezal Merican Naina Merican, has 72.

The other aspirants are Kota Kinabalu Umno Youth chief Bahrul Razha Chuprat (3), and Bagan Youth chief Marzuki Yahaya, Subang Youth chief Megat Firdaus Megat Junid, Khairy and Kapar Youth chief Faizal Abdullah, still have one nomination each.

The minimum number of nominations required to contest the Umno Youth chief post is 39 and the deputy post, 20.

Of the 191 divisional Youth wings, 177 have held their delegates’ meetings since Oct 9.

– BERNAMA

I think the nominations for the President post is just a formality and the end-result is known already…Who dare to challenge Najib??? :twisted:
There is no other choice already… Poor Tengku Razaleigh (with just 1 nomination)… salute him for daring to challenge this guy.
There is no one who can stop this tyrant from becoming the next PM liao… :x

A dynasty in the making?

As the next PM, do you expect from him, meaningful changes to the political landscape or simply more of the same sh*t? He has not demonstrated that he is a capable individual throughout his tenure as a deputy PM, and it’ll be damn hard to expect fresh ideas from him henceforth.

He needs to break ranks with his ultra subordinates and accomodate the ‘opposition’ in the formulation of more equitable programmes of change that cut across political and racial lines. Does he have the gall to face this challenge?

Surely as M’sians, you all have a huge stake in what the future holds for you with him as your PM. Or maybe you’ll wait and see what he can deliver in the months ahead.

we should do sumthing bout this…

u wan join Osama team?

is that the only option you can think of.

perhaps you can consider just casting your vote to where it will make a difference instead of maintaining the status quo…

May the spirit of Altantuya be with him… hehe

I will reserve my opinions on him until the first 6 months he’s in office. We will then evaluate how he performs. It is unfair to link him to Abdullah’s performance even before he takes office.

Meanwhile, lets just hope he’ll start keeping his tool more in his pants and start fully focusing on the country’s well being.

i dont see why that should affect his effectiveness as a pm either way.

more importantly, he should keep the country’s money out of his pockets/bank accounts, or to use the country’s money as if it belongs to his family, or to umno…

I knew you would response to my that sentence.

Anyway it is not about the effect it has on his performance. Did I say it will?

It is about the morality of being the leader of a country and engaging in sexual extra marrital affairs. Morally it is deemed wrong and therefore unfit to lead. Clinton is impeach just for it. And in order for him to be a good prime minister of Malaysia, he DOES need to keep it in his pant more often as everyone knows that is his strongest weakness. Think of exploitation by others? You dont want to be a PM who has a easily expoitable weakness do you?

It therefore, begs the question …

Given the choice, would you rather have as your PM a SEXUAL PERVERT or a THIEF?

In most instances, i think they are both at the same time.

In some countries its worst, pervert, thieft, robber, murderer even. Whats new?

But then again, leader with pervert nature more oftenly get caught then leader with thief/robbery nature. Since the former is easily exploitable and the latter can be easily covered using money politics. Sad world.

clinton was impeached by the House of Representatives on December 19, 1998, and acquitted by the Senate on February 12, 1999 and the impeachment was not for the imfamous activity in the oval office, it’s for perjury, obstruction of justice and abuse of power which chua soi lek didn’t even do as he admitted and resigned.

why is a political leader’s sexual affair such a moral concern when corruption is not?
when the former is personal while the latter is directly linked to the job and the abuse of trust and power that comes with the position?

According to your beloved Wikipedia that you just copy and pasted.

“The charges, perjury, obstruction of justice and abuse of power arose from the Monica Lewinsky scandal and the Paula Jones law suit.”

The Monica Lewinsky case was what lead up to the impeachment. He was acquitted for various reason that deem to be in the interest of the United State’s presidential figures. Read more SH. Dont copy and paste a wikipedia article to me. I did a case study on the impeachment for my corporate management studies in my early days. I know what I’m talking about. Its up to you to debate.

Read again my post dear, I did not mention a political’s leader of sexual affairs is more of a moral concern then corruption itself as corruption itself as you state is definately more of a concern and issue for the whole country as a general. I only meant that sexual/infidelity affairs are more easily exploitable by others then corruptions. So if he wants to be an successful politician, he wouldn’t want to have an expoitable trait that can be used by others. As regarding to your issues with politicians being hyperly corrupted, that is not what my argument is here. You brought that thing in yourself.

My original post never mentioned corruption. I only meant he need to tone down his sexual endeavours and concentrate on his time focusing and running the office. Your argument of corruption is a totally different argument and is not relevant to what I originally intended to say in my first post.

And yes corruptions is a huge issue. The more serious if not, I do not deny it. Stop taking people’s post out of context Stupidhead, it works on a lot of your arguments but do remember, not all.

Having said that, I know you wont’ back down on your argument, you just do what you do best at ignoring my valid justifications and go on with your rambling on other factors and points not relevant to what I originally intended to say. So I wont respond further to your personal narcissism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism

Sorry I’m just not in the mood today. Cheers.

i don’t think we are in disagreement at all…

The difference can perhaps be summed up like this … Clinton was a sexual pervert but not a thief, whereas your next PM may be both!

i don’t think we are in disagreement at all…[/quote]

Perhaps so. perhaps so.

Cheers brother. :slight_smile:

On the contrary, I think Clinton is both a sexual pervert and a mild thief.

As for our next PM, he could be both a Clinton and a lot a lot more… but honestly, I do hope to give him a chance in office to see how he fares before judging his performance. Lets not forget the mongolian beauty case. We do not know what a person is capable on base on outlooks and conceived perceptions? Remember that perception thread? :wink:

Oh btw, speaking of recent US presidents, I would just like to add that the current George W. Bush is a murderer, in my dictionary at least.

Afghanistan mildly justified perhaps so due to the 9/11 case for the terrorist presence in the country. But Iraq? Totally no justification. WMD was not even found after the war. Murderer.

And he’s 75% to blame for the current global economic downswing.