Najib, police chief accused of 'statistical sleight-of-hand'

Najib, police chief accused of ‘statistical sleight-of-hand’
S Pathmawathy | Dec 3, 08 6:30pm

Veteran opposition parliamentarian Lim Kit Siang today asked all Barisan Nasional and Pakatan Rakyat MPs to come together to reject Inspector General of Police Musa Hassan’s explanation that the crime situation in the country was not as bad as people perceived it to be.

“Malaysians are shocked that the IGP is deadly serious with his ridiculous ploy to explain away the worsening crime index with a statistical sleight-of-hand by claiming that it is purely a problem of misperception by Malaysians, tourists and investors,” said Lim in the Parliament lobby.

“What is outrageous is that the cabinet and the National Economic Council (NEC) could be browbeaten so easily by the IGP on Monday to accept such a ridiculous ploy’, to the extent that this has been adopted as an official policy, as confirmed by the Deputy Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak two days ago,” he said.

According to Lim, the IGP had said that Malaysia was a relatively safe country, with only 772 crimes for every 100,000 Malaysians, compared to Hong Kong where there were 1,166 cases, Japan 1,569 cases and Australia with 4,470 cases for every 100,000 residents.

He added that the statistics showed that only Singapore, with 704 cases per 100,000 residents, had a safer environment.

Lim said the facts were “misleading and unacceptable” as crimes are categorised differently and had different definitions in different countries.

[b]"For instance, homicide per 100,000 population is 1.09 cases in Japan, 0.26 cases in Hong Kong but 2.12 in Malaysia.

“While rape, for every 100,000 citizens is 1.62 in Japan, 1.54 in Hong Kong while in Malaysia it is 11.47,” said Lim.

The Ipoh Timor MP added that robbery was at a shocking rate of 90.49 in Malaysia, while it was only 4.78 in Japan and 17.56 in Hong Kong for every 100,000 residents.

‘A magic wand to wave away crime’[/b]

Yesterday, Lim told reporters that five years ago when Prime Minister Abdullah Ahamd Badawi came to power, he had set up a royal police commission because crime rates were spiralling out of control.

"At that time, the royal police commission also came back with a report and underlined the severity and gravity of the crime situation which had increased to about 120,000 cases a year for three years and called for action to reduce crime.

"In these five years, the crime index has shot to 200,000 cases a year but we have the prime minister designate saying that the crime situation is not that bad compared to what the prime minister said five years ago.

“What the deputy prime minister has said goes against public sentiment because everybody feels unsafe. Instead of fighting crime he is trying to fight perception and he is trying to use a magic wand to wave away crime,” said Lim yesterday.

“It is a reflection of the intellectual inadequacy and poverty of the cabinet ministers and NEC members that they could be so easily bamboozled by the IGP with suspect statistics and data,” he said.

Lim questioned the irresponsibility of the IGP to mislead the cabinet by saying that Malaysia is safer than Japan and Hong Kong.

“If the ministers can so easily buy the bluff of the IGP, I challenge them to walk the streets of Johor Bharu and Kuala Lumpur for a day without protection. I am sure they would have no qualms about walking the streets of Tokyo and Hong Kong without protection for a day,” he exclaimed.

Lim also called upon MPs to demand that the police be accountable, responsible and transparent for the “galloping crime situation in the country (as) Malaysians, tourists and investors have lost their fundamental right to be free from crime and the fear of crime”.

Source: http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/94285

syabas lim…ho ho ho…head shot to the stupig polisia…

i’m not interested in the igp…

but as for najib… either:

1. he knowingly lie to the parliament and to the rakyat – if he can’t even be trusted to tell us the truth on issues like this, he can’t be trusted for anything at all…

2. or he’s so stupig to actually buy the bullsh!t that we have lower crime rate than hong kong and japan, he is definitely no better than dolah badawi as pm…

either way, we are fncked…

[quote=“stupidhead”]
but as for najib… either:

1. he knowingly lie to the parliament and to the rakyat – if he can’t even be trusted to tell us the truth on issues like this, he can’t be trusted for anything at all…

either way, we are fncked…[/quote]

NAJIB is a well-known BIG LIARS… anyway, the Rakyat have been used to getting fncked by NAJIB… :evil:
Malaysian future PM is a BIG LIAR :oops:

Worried… gonna to be very worried… after reading all the above mention & sharing. Malaysia Leaders & our safety be caution… all into Red Zone Alert Display for all Malaysian ! I can’t imagine how would it be for next coming Election !

Doesn’t really take a genius to figure out the average crime rates are extremely high in Malaysia.

Here’s a little story for all:

Girl from Taiwan visits Brunei. So I asked, want to visit Miri for a day? The girl said, “NO WAY. Crime way high.” nuff said.

there can be a difference between reality and perception…

but they so stupig they think we are so stupig to believe that malaysia have lower crime rate than japan…? anyone who knows more about japan than what’s found on sailormoon and ahahaha videos should know that japan is almost unbelievable - you can leave your wallet on bench in the bus stand and when you come back to look for it, it’s still there… no kidding. i can walk down a dark lane in hk and singapore at night without worried about being robbed. in kl? ha…

Bad people all around the world. Not only in Malaysia, but entire world.

True enough, having friends from Brunei they surely have a lot of stories to tell her about Miri but that isn’t the point, the perception alone is hurting us indirectly.

not enough police officer in Malaysia… so, mari ramai2 join PDRM… it’s not applicable to compare with small country(like singapore n japan)…

what makes you think japan is a small country?

the land size…

total area
japan: 377,873 km2
malaysia: 329,847 km2

population
japan: 127,433,494 (2007 est.)
malaysia: 27,730,000 (2008 est.)

and how many police do we have?

Police- Population Ratio of some selected Countries

Country Police-People Ratio
Bangladesh 1: 1138
India 1: 728
Philippines 1: 665
Pakistan 1: 625
Japan 1: 563
New Zealand 1: 416
Singapore 1: 295
Malaysia 1: 249
Thailand 1. 228
Hong Kong 1: 220

we have more police per citizen than japan! where are the police?

lks asked the same question in 2003 here

in Subang Jaya, where the police:population is 1:10,870 as there are only 46 policemen including those manning the enquiry dest, lock-up and on general duty while the population is about 500,000. In Johor Bharu, the Central Police Station has 87 officers and men and overlooks a population of 805,152. The ratio is 1:9254. As for Pasir Pinji, Ipoh, it has 43 policemen to protect 140,000 people. The ratio is 1:3255.

we discussed it here in mcnet in the past too - the lutong-desa pujut-senadin area has how many police personnel?

in the past may be a lot of the force was engaged in fighthing the commies. but now? i wonder how many are checking on mcnet right now… last time when dap & pkr said they want to stage a protest in serberkas, i was just there buying my usual nasi lemak, but i saw more sb personnel than protestors… we fought the commies for this? so we have more “secret police” like the ussr, the proc or the drk?

it’s just my humble opinion: may be, just may be, we got our priorities set wrongly… no?

“Najib was saying that our perception of worrying crime rates should be viewed in perspective: apparently Malaysia has lower crime rates than Japan and Hong Kong.”

Oh really? I am so grateful I am living in Malaysia then. The world must be so dumb to rank Japan as one of the country in the world with the lowest crime rate… for they don’t know actually Malaysia is the safest place to be. Come on, look at Bali, Mumbai, Iraq… we are F-safe, yor!

1. Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore are known for their dedicated, professional and clean police force. So people there do not hesitate to report any incidence of crime as they are confident of their complaint being looked into. Of course, everyone knows that in Malaysia, we have no such confidence in our force and probably half the crime in Malaysia is not reported.

Please clarify: what is the estimated ratio of reported and unreported crime here in Malaysia?

1. What constitutes a crime report in Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore? It’s common knowledge that certain crimes are openly tolerated in Malaysia: pirated DVDs, bribery, corporate kickbacks, illegal hawker stalls, illegal buildings, etc etc etc…Is it the same in those countries?

If we included all the crimes Malaysians close our eyes to, and held our country to the same standards as those used in Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore, what would our actual crime index be now?

1. People in Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong can generally leave their homes at anytime in the day or night and not worry about being mugged, raped, or murdered. Can Malaysians in general say the same?

Can we have a survey to compare the public’s sentiments? Can we also include some reasons why the public feels this way?

Fine. Let’s compare Johor Bahru and Singapore then. Or Miri and Singapore? Or Petaling Jaya and Singapore? Or Kuala Lumpur and Singapore?

Fine. Let’s compare Johor Bahru and Singapore then. Or Miri and Singapore? Or Petaling Jaya and Singapore? Or Kuala Lumpur and Singapore?[/quote]

the density wont the same…

Fine. Let’s compare Johor Bahru and Singapore then. Or Miri and Singapore? Or Petaling Jaya and Singapore? Or Kuala Lumpur and Singapore?[/quote]

the density wont the same…[/quote]

I know. Singapore is higher of course. But, why their crime rates is lower in this case? So, with which country Malaysia should set the benchmark?

total area
japan: 377,873 km2
malaysia: 329,847 km2

population
japan: 127,433,494 (2007 est.)
malaysia: 27,730,000 (2008 est.)[/quote]

look like japan more dense than malaysia… 4 time more dense dude… no wonder have enough police officer… beside japan negara maju, malaysia only negara membangun wat…

dude?
which part of the following you don’t understand?

Police- Population Ratio of some selected Countries
Japan 1: 563
Malaysia 1: 249

may be the real difference between japan and malaysia is japan is negara mauh maju, malaysia wants to be membangun forever. otherwise, there won’t be excuse to stay stupig lah.