Museum Panorama

http://www.miriresortcity.com/files/panorama_small.jpg
Picture by Soo Chew Studio, stitching by me. Enjoy the panorama. That pickup truck just had to get in the way. :frowning:

[quote=“ian”]http://www.miriresortcity.com/files/panorama_small.jpg
Picture by Soo Chew Studio, stitching by me. Enjoy the panorama. That pickup truck just had to get in the way. :([/quote]

wow…thats how it looks like eh…nice…i have never bee there myself…

More info on the Grand Old Lady and site on this page.

Really nice panorama. Quick question:

1. How many original photos were there before stitching?
  2. Which application did you use for the stitching? I’ve used open source ones before but they are really quite hard to use. And I’ve tried using those panorama applications that comes with the camera but mostly just not that successful in stitching it clean (or maybe my photos are not taken properly). :smiley:

[quote=“Jack”]Really nice panorama. Quick question:

1. How many original photos were there before stitching?[/quote]

Thanks. I forgot but there was probably about 6-7 photos, panned from left to right. This photo was done with a Nikon D70 i think.

1. Which application did you use for the stitching? I’ve used open source ones before but they are really quite hard to use. And I’ve tried using those panorama applications that comes with the camera but mostly just not that successful in stitching it clean (or maybe my photos are not taken properly). :smiley:

I use Photoshop only. It’s done the old-fashioned way; open up a huge canvas, then place every photo inside. This is where it will take up a lot of processing and memory. Then you piece them all together, color correct them, and ‘stitch’ any irregularities with the healing brush (PS7) and make adjustments to the angle & straighten the photos.

All manually, no software other than Photoshop involved. Takes about 2-3 hours to do so in its original resolution.

Ian… well done… and good job. Can’t really see the different… :smiley:

nice job Ian. But 2 hours to stitch them?? wow. honestly i wouldnt have this kind of patience :lol: There are a number of stitching software which can do quite a good job too.

Thanks. It’s done in original resolution, so it definitely takes time. What I show here is the reduced size (of course) but the you should see the original… you may need to not only scroll left-right but up-down as well! (Not to mention take ages to load!)

Anyways we’re used to taking time for this kinda work.

wow, ian, did you do color adjustments? if not then D70 really is good! BTW, how about Canon EOS?

what is the original file size and dimension in pixel?

[quote=“huasing”]wow, ian, did you do color adjustments? if not then D70 really is good! BTW, how about Canon EOS?

what is the original file size and dimension in pixel?[/quote]

Each photo is at around 254 dpi and 1800xsomething pixels if I’m not mistaken. (Can’t recall)

Yeah D70’s color is already very good straight out of the camera. It’s also a very good morning the picture was taken. That helped alot. Except for that pickup truck :cry:

well, the one I took is already 15772 width but the height is 1617 only, has cost me half of a CD-R for storage.

what’z yours? I’m really curious… it does took me 2~3 hours to stitch it because I only have 512MB SDRAM on Celeron 1Ghz… :?

if you are lucky, you might see a large size of it here

[quote=“huasing”]well, the one I took is already 15772 width but the height is 1617 only, has cost me half of a CD-R for storage.
[/quote]

I’ll need to check on the sizes. But if I put in the original you’d probably be seeing only the pickup truck…

To give you an idea of scale, I cut out a piece from the original size at 100%. The dpi had been increased for print purposes.

Click to see

http://www.miriresortcity.com/files/crooked.jpg
…and just in case anyone wondering why this part looks crooked,

http://www.miriresortcity.com/files/uncrooked.jpg
…it’s not, just at resizing the picture it seemed to collapse somehow.

Wow, looks really nice :wink:
Good job Ian!

that’s a freaking crazy size there! I wonder how much RAM and disk space it occupied during the post-processing?

so, did you stack them on top of one and another, in order to stitch the land and the sky?

You own Soochew kah? I didn’t remember you have a D70 during our last gathering…

thanx in advance for solving my puzzle… :smiley:

Lots. :lol:

so, did you stack them on top of one and another, in order to stitch the land and the sky?

Definitely a little bit of all when piecing them together.

You own Soochew kah? I didn’t remember you have a D70 during our last gathering…

Aiiik, no lah. - I have a Photoshop contract with them for digital imaging, so I know the boss very well and do a lot of their photo projects including photo repair.

ic, thanx again, ian…

I guess photo editing just gotta be done on your Mac, right?

to show my deepest appreciation, here you go,
http://www.worth1000.com/entries/254000/254024NSUR_w.jpg

enjoy.

ian,nice pic u got there :smiley:

ur works is GOOD.I ever try to do some panorama in CS2 last time but it’s not that easy(maybe becosi’m really newbiw la :P),especially the colour balance,brightness and contrast of each pic is different.When we met next time should ask u to show how’s the excellnt works done :smiley:

[quote=“my4to”]ian,nice pic u got there :smiley:

ur works is GOOD.I ever try to do some panorama in CS2 last time but it’s not that easy(maybe becosi’m really newbiw la :P),especially the colour balance,brightness and contrast of each pic is different.When we met next time should ask u to show how’s the excellnt works done :D[/quote]

Thanks!

The main tools I used are just transform, healing brush, cloning brush, levels, curves and color balance… no other stuff as i recall. It’s mostly you just have to have the patience and an eye for it, and a series of good pics taken on a good day, that’s all…

I believe ian might miss this out too…

Zoom-in and Zoom-Out: very often use unless you aren’t planning to do a fine quality stitch.

Free Transform and cropping : probably also very often used too.

If your PC has too little RAM and low CPU power, you will suffer every attempt to zoom, free transforming and cropping… bear that in mind! :wink: