M'sia donates US$1mil to Thailand to tackle floods

M’sia donates US$1mil to Thailand to tackle floods

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia will donate US$1mil to Thailand to help it tackle its worst floods in 50 years.

Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said the decision was made at the Cabinet meeting on Friday.

In BANGKOK, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said she was invoking the provisions of the 2007 Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act.

Speaking during her weekly televised address on Saturday, Yingluck said the Act would help cushion the impact of floods in the country as every sluice gate would be open and allow excess floodwater to flow into the river and the sea, reports Thai News Agency (TNA).

People have been told to place their valuables to at least one metre above the ground inside their homes.

Yingluck said discharging the excess water would lessen during high tides expected between Oct 28-30.

On temporary evacuation centres, she said so far 1,743 centres had been set up and would accommodate up to about 800,000 persons. Presently, about 113,000 flood victims were taking refuge at the centres. BERNAMA

anak kera di hutan disusukan, anak sendiri kelaparan?

wow…

speechless

Always happens no matter which country, NGO, etc.

good on malaysia!

i’m sorry , Talindra…

but pride cannot feed the children of the poor class in malaysia from being fed…
this is really absurd…

what is even worse is this is our money they are using, and yet they have the audacity to tell malaysian citizens
need to increase this and that price to avoid debt…

we are being sucked dry here…
:frowning:

aiyo good thing la donate. u give out more u get more.
some more we are helping people that are being tested with flood.
everything gov do waste money ka?
though i didnt support gov,but some stuff they do good also.
its not everything building up nation only.bcome richest country.cheapest oil.sometimes u need to spend on other stuff also.

DMsia, i know not many people will be very happy with donations.
this is to the people of most needed at the hardest time and it doesnt happen all the time… there are so many corruption going on within the country, 1 million is nothing in comparison.
if malaysia is to have a severe storm that wipe out the entire city and road infrastructures and home… we will need help too.
its a good deed in my oppinion…

maybe…

a good deed is a good deed…
but before you help others, you have to look at your own people…
we are not doing too hot ourselves…

look at ourself??
were enjoying this 1mbps streamyx on a sunny sunday in a air conditioned room with a glass of slurpee at the side.
n compare the situation with the ppl at thailand who having flood???

Malaysia is filty rich. Got extra money to donate even though hutang negara already passed RM 400 billion

+1

This is what we called as Politics.

somehow you just have this impression that the “powers that are” are just more
concerned with how the world views them than how its own people is faring…

maybe “someone” in love with the pretty thai pm ? just a joke…don flame me lol…1million as donation quite alot lol

[quote=“Talindra”]DMsia, i know not many people will be very happy with donations.
this is to the people of most needed at the hardest time and it doesnt happen all the time… there are so many corruption going on within the country, 1 million is nothing in comparison.
if malaysia is to have a severe storm that wipe out the entire city and road infrastructures and home… we will need help too.
its a good deed in my oppinion…[/quote]

1milion cannot even be donated to solve our own country’s flood problem yet we have enough for Thai? Dude, it’s called publicity stunt. Nothing good about it.

haha, dude, thats “US” 1 million" so its roughly 3 mil plus in ringgit…

but seriously, do you guys ever wonder whether they REALLY donated that FULL amount to Thailand?
I’m not saying that it is NOT donated fully in that amount, but knowing the dirty tricks of you know who, it is a possibility, right?

leechmeister, i can see your point of view

My oppinion on the society today is that… People dont care about each other anymore.
They are busy with what they are doing that they do not care to look over to their neighbour or anyone around them.
The ongoing starving issue inside a country is an ongoing issue the country need to deal with, donation to a neighbouring country because of an unexpected natural disaster is another issue all together. You can not compare apple and orange. When a natural disaster happen in a neighbouring country, we are obbligue to help them… If we cant provide emergency food or supply or service, monetary contribution is another way to help them. We sometimes might also wonder if the money actually reached them or partly? But this is not the issue, the issue is they are currently in need of help it is an emergency situation. and if you go to redcross, they actually specified how the money is used and how much for what etc.
Donation of 1 million is not enough to help them., but it will provide some clean water to drink, stop diseases spreading and so on. It is something you will not imagine unless you are put into their shoe. I was in the flood,cyclone zone before … I see how these people needed help urgently. This is not about an on going matter which a country is a fault, this is a natural disaster.
To help to equalise the poor and the rich inside malaysia itself… I think the government need to review their tax system.
I pay $20,000.00 a year of tax to australian government. And the government use this money to deal with internal and external issues. Every dollar I earn, they tax me 30 cents.

Talindra,

Appreciate your thought. But that does not make any sense in the slightest. So if you have money to donate to other people but left your child in hunger, it’s comparing apple to oranges? Talindra…you have to realise. Publicity Stunt using taxpayers’ money is not in any way “generous” or “helping the poor”. If every time natural disaster strike in another country and PM keep donating 1mil to these country, we won’t have anything left! Donate according your capacity, not donate blindly just because you want good feel factor. If PM donate his OWN money, perhaps I would have praised him, but this is still OUR money we are talking about here. If a country wants to donate, at least set up fund raising charity or something than using Taxpayer’s money.

[quote=“LeechMeister”]Talindra,

Appreciate your thought. But that does not make any sense in the slightest. So if you have money to donate to other people but left your child in hunger, it’s comparing apple to oranges? Talindra…you have to realise. Publicity Stunt using taxpayers’ money is not in any way “generous” or “helping the poor”. If every time natural disaster strike in another country and PM keep donating 1mil to these country, we won’t have anything left! Donate according your capacity, not donate blindly just because you want good feel factor. If PM donate his OWN money, perhaps I would have praised him, but this is still OUR money we are talking about here. If a country wants to donate, at least set up fund raising charity or something than using Taxpayer’s money.[/quote]

couldn’t have pointed this out better myself…

[quote=“Talindra”]
I pay $20,000.00 a year of tax to australian government. And the government use this money to deal with internal and external issues. Every dollar I earn, they tax me 30 cents.[/quote]

Is that including GST 10%?

It’s true Malaysia’s Government needs to review its tax system… But as you can see everyone is not ready for GST. So now according to one report(i think was in MalaysianInsider) that middle income earners are the ones who are currently bearing the burden of Malaysia’s tax system. Then there’s a lot of free-riders in this system…

Dah la middle income don’t get anything much from Budget 2012… even though paying much taxes(what to do cannot cheat kan?) You can see malaysiakini interview also on middle income earners about their thoughts on Budget 2012… all saying nothing beneficial…