Mountain bike anyone?

[quote=“franky”]will Kevlar lined tubes solve that problem?
slime wont work on sidewall punctures.[/quote]

Nope kevlar will not solve any problem both puncture or flat problem. Kevlar was built to resist sidewall of tyres from tearing off from sharp rocks and provide flexibility to remove or install tyres intead of using traditional wire beaded tyres. The only way to know which tyre resist puncture from normal sharp object is by looking at this value on the tyre: “TPI” = Thread Per-Inch. The lower the value of TPI the higher the puncture resistance regardless what material it uses.

Cannondale is heavy bike with poor suspension? I am surprise that is the case! Perhaps you mean the normal version ones?

From what I tried out during my trip to Singapore at Frankel Ave on one of the bike, it is feather light man. The full frame is carbon with single sided telescopic front shocks. I think the name of that one is Rize Carbon 1 or Rush Carbon 1 couldn’t remember which. So would Trek be a better brand then Cannondale in your opinion? I know Cannondale is a hell lot more expensive though.

Also which parts set is better? Mavic Crossmax or Shimano XTR? I know XTR is more comprehensive but seems to me the Mavic one is better. Shimano SLX also seems to be very popular and yet cheaper. Too many choices.

[quote=“allokitty”][quote=“franky”]will Kevlar lined tubes solve that problem?
slime wont work on sidewall punctures.[/quote]

Nope kevlar will not solve any problem both puncture or flat problem. Kevlar was built to resist sidewall of tyres from tearing off from sharp rocks and provide flexibility to remove or install tyres intead of using traditional wire beaded tyres. The only way to know which tyre resist puncture from normal sharp object is by looking at this value on the tyre: “TPI” = Thread Per-Inch. The lower the value of TPI the higher the puncture resistance regardless what material it uses.[/quote]

oh, you are very knowledgeable!..thanks
I have found slime to work well in an urban environment by the way
I can tell it works by all the small green dots over the tire!

just like blood clotting

[quote=“Ryunaruto”]i’ve been mountain climbing b4 but…mountain bike cycling…dunno can or not coz afraid loose balance.

so maybe if free…i gonna give it a try

afraid of heights and fall down le lol[/quote]

As long the bike keep rolling the movement will produce forward inertia and you will not loose balance. Even i’m stopping at traffic light i still can balance my bike for more than two minutes without touching the ground. Just try to twist your body stationary. Once you master it you can become pro on anything. A biker that have good balancing produce ultimate rider. I can teach you how to do it. Master it and you can do what every you like on the bike. Jumping, flying, lunge down the stairs and also going up the stairs steady and slowly is possible. A trick that will make the public amaze.

[quote=“First”]Cannondale is heavy bike with poor suspension? I am surprise that is the case! Perhaps you mean the normal version ones?

From what I tried out during my trip to Singapore at Frankel Ave on one of the bike, it is feather light man. The full frame is carbon with single sided telescopic front shocks. I think the name of that one is Rize Carbon 1 or Rush Carbon 1 couldn’t remember which. So would Trek be a better brand then Cannondale in your opinion? I know Cannondale is a hell lot more expensive though.

Also which parts set is better? Mavic Crossmax or Shimano XTR? I know XTR is more comprehensive but seems to me the Mavic one is better. Shimano SLX also seems to be very popular and yet cheaper. Too many choices.[/quote]

Canonnondale is still a good bike but good for application for FREERIDE and DOWNHILL competition which mostly the bike travel downward racing like DOWNHILL competition or DIRT JUMPING activity which you need tough, robust bike with additional weight to compensate the durability. But cross country is no go. I’ve been riding JEKYLL and RAVEN …it suk my pedaling power to go uphill. The Cannondale left telescopic fork is called “LEFTY”. Most of our rider previously bought it but dump straight away because it produce some shaky “play” on the tube which make the steering unstable after several rides. The may look cool but prone to various defect. Important thing is for long distance usage your left hand will stress out slightly because the small intertial G-force on LEFT side of the for apply rather than rear.

**Try do some test when you ride Cannondale with LEFTY fork. Try ride at decent speed. Now try to release both your hand slightly from the handle bar. You will notice the steering will veer more to the leftside. …That is not good.

For wheels you ought go for MAVIC CrossMAX because its easy to find spare parts and support. SHIMANO XTR 2008 onwards (second generation) still very expensive and not that durable. MAVIC CrossMAX very popular among our group.

But if you found the 1st Generation SHIMANO XTR year 2003-2004 wheelset (The Anodized shiny polish gun metal color and unique spoke arrangement) just like my wheelset, recomended you grab it because the rims are made purely from alloy CNC 1 piece block cutting into radial rims!!! I’ve been using it since 2004 till now. Not even a millimeters dent, bent or wobble!! I’ve jump, crash, fly and hit huge rock… no damages, nothing… Yup its cost almost RM$3,000 for only the wheelset but i have no regret. It looks super **bling and unique design too. The hub also very nice CNC’s flange. And its also Tubeless compatible. Too bad the models design replaced with new normal looks. Lucky i manage to grab one. Very happy!

SHIMANO SLX is a good part and on the budget. Its a newly released model from last year and have both performance of old SHIMANO HONE (Freeride components) and phased out SHIMANO LX (X-country) generation. Also have all around performance and machanism of XT with miligrams of differences. Highly recomended.

[quote=“allokitty”][quote=“First”]Cannondale is heavy bike with poor suspension? I am surprise that is the case! Perhaps you mean the normal version ones?

Also which parts set is better? Mavic Crossmax or Shimano XTR? I know XTR is more comprehensive but seems to me the Mavic one is better. Shimano SLX also seems to be very popular and yet cheaper. Too many choices.[/quote]

Canonnondale is still a good bike but good for application for FREERIDE and DOWNHILL competition which mostly the bike travel downward racing like DOWNHILL competition or DIRT JUMPING activity which you need tough, robust bike with additional weight to compensate the durability. But cross country is no go. I’ve been riding JEKYLL and RAVEN …it suk my pedaling power to go uphill. The Cannondale left telescopic fork is called “LEFTY”. Most of our rider previously bought it but dump straight away because it produce some shaky “play” on the tube which make the steering unstable after several rides. The may look cool but prone to various defect. Important thing is for long distance usage your left hand will stress out slightly because the small intertial G-force on LEFT side of the for apply rather than rear.

**Try do some test when you ride Cannondale with LEFTY fork. Try ride at decent speed. Now try to release both your hand slightly from the handle bar. You will notice the steering will veer more to the leftside. …That is not good.

For wheels you ought go for MAVIC CrossMAX because its easy to find spare parts and support. SHIMANO XTR 2008 onwards (second generation) still very expensive and not that durable. MAVIC CrossMAX very popular among our group.

But if you found the 1st Generation SHIMANO XTR year 2003-2004 wheelset (The Anodized shiny polish gun metal color and unique spoke arrangement) just like my wheelset, recomended you grab it because the rims are made purely from alloy CNC 1 piece block cutting into radial rims!!! I’ve been using it since 2004 till now. Not even a millimeters dent, bent or wobble!! I’ve jump, crash, fly and hit huge rock… no damages, nothing… Yup its cost almost RM$3,000 for only the wheelset but i have no regret. It looks super **bling and unique design too. The hub also very nice CNC’s flange. And its also Tubeless compatible. Too bad the models design replaced with new normal looks. Lucky i manage to grab one. Very happy!

SHIMANO SLX is a good part and on the budget. Its a newly released model from last year and have both performance of old SHIMANO HONE (Freeride components) and phased out SHIMANO LX (X-country) generation. Also have all around performance and machanism of XT with miligrams of differences. Highly recomended.[/quote]

You are definately hardcore! I do not plan to buy individual components for upgrade. Intend to only get a good overall bike that can last. Any specific model from any maker that you would recommend?

I was looking at your bike and notice yours is Giant Trance 2? And I suppose you’ve made numerous upgrades since? Or does your components comes with that bike?

I also notice you are using the 130mm Rock Shok. Does it come with the bike as well or did you upgraded? Why rockshok?

Also which brakeset is better? Avid Juicy Ultimate or Shimana XTR? So far I’m only looking at two brands. Cannondale or Trek. Also for bikes, there’s so many frame configurations. Mind to chip in which one is the optimum setup for cross country/trail cycling? Thanks for you input.

maybe we go marudi and maybe go sibuti still dunno yet o… u there how many ppl go?

yeah allokitty!! u r pro enough!! hahaha spirit of mountain cycling!!! cheer!!!

[quote=“Ryunaruto”]i’ve been mountain climbing b4 but…mountain bike cycling…dunno can or not coz afraid loose balance.

so maybe if free…i gonna give it a try

afraid of heights and fall down le lol[/quote]
dun worry just try it super SUANG!!!

[quote=“First”][quote=“allokitty”][quote=“First”]Cannondale is heavy bike with poor suspension? I am surprise that is the case! Perhaps you mean the normal version ones?

SHIMANO SLX is a good part and on the budget. Its a newly released model from last year and have both performance of old SHIMANO HONE (Freeride components) and phased out SHIMANO LX (X-country) generation. Also have all around performance and machanism of XT with miligrams of differences. Highly recomended.[/quote]

You are definately hardcore! I do not plan to buy individual components for upgrade. Intend to only get a good overall bike that can last. Any specific model from any maker that you would recommend?

I was looking at your bike and notice yours is Giant Trance 2? And I suppose you’ve made numerous upgrades since? Or does your components comes with that bike?

I also notice you are using the 130mm Rock Shok. Does it come with the bike as well or did you upgraded? Why rockshok?

Also which brakeset is better? Avid Juicy Ultimate or Shimana XTR? So far I’m only looking at two brands. Cannondale or Trek. Also for bikes, there’s so many frame configurations. Mind to chip in which one is the optimum setup for cross country/trail cycling? Thanks for you input.[/quote]

For my bike everything is custom built parts by parts which its my best preference and good for body ergonomic placement and riding performance. I would never buy a stock made bike from factory but since you want a good overall bike and best value for money get MERIDA bike.
MERIDA bikes
http://www2.merida-bikes.com
The bike have best performance and parts for the money. Hiap Ho shop sell lots of these. Select any bike from the website and tomorrow the bike will arrive if you order from him. I’ve tried the bike before. Very good quality, perfomance and cheap.

The 130mm ROCK SHOX “REVELATION” doesn’t comes with the bike. I bought separately. I buy Rock Shox because its the only fork that have best value for money, lightweight performance and best FREERIDE category in its range. The fork cost RM$1,700 -RM$2,200 depending what internal damping was used. Its rival FOX SHOX RL 130mm-140mm would cost RM$2,800 and don’t much budget for that and yet FOX weight is a bit heavy for me but suspension performance is heaven.

If you give me the choices between AVID JUICY ULTIMATE and SHIMANO XTR i would go for XTR because for these reasons:
**-Easy to find replacement parts especially brake pads, more parts support at LBS
**-Compact design and lightweight, best cross country spec
**-Use non-corrosive “Mineral Oil” as hydraulic fluid.

So you want cross country bike? Which youre preference full suspension or hardtails?
For your information i used to be avid hardtail riders but now i love full suspension because its faster than hardtails, fast climber and my butt can relax. I can even beat road bikes with my GIANT TRANCE. Its possible because it’s using 4 linkage suspension system on the rear suspension which makes your pedalling parallel to the rear sprocket gear without power loss. My bike is very short but have special rear seat angle which optimised the distance between my leg and bottom bracket. My bike using “MAESTRO” suspension system.

There several type of suspension system in the market:
-MAESTRO (Giant)
-V.V.P (virtual pivot= Santa Cruz, Intense,)
-Sweet Spot (Schwinn, Mongoose, Gary Fisher)
-I-Drive (GT)
-FSR 4 linkage (Intense, Specialized, Titus)
-Macpherson Struts type (AMP, Diamondback, Noleen, K2)

So you go for full suspension?

i also got one MERIDA!!! nice to ride…

Very nice informations from you. I would definately go for full suspensions.

So basically you only bought the Giant Trance frame? Or you’ve since upgraded all the parts on your bikes?

There’s so many choices that I’m confused now as I read on. Where is Merida bikes made in? Are they considered the same league with the top tier bikes? Also did you get all your parts from Hiap Ho or you ship them in yourselfs by buying through online?

As for the fork, you would recommend Fox Shox one of the best ones in the market now? Also how would you rate between Maestro, VVP and FSR 4?

where to get MERIDA?

HIAP HO!!! near boulevard…

too many pro here…im just an amateur weekend bike rider…swt. one of my problem is, my neighborhood many fierce dog which like to chase rider…dam, i really wanna shoot them dead

lol… my area also… even tho i dont ride bikes, i used to go on motorbike ride with my dad normally get chased by dogs

let them chase then u train to be the most fast bicycle rider haha

lol… bcome those racers…

maybe have 10 … still dunno o…
u there leh … have many ppl go ma ???

[quote=“First”]Very nice informations from you. I would definately go for full suspensions.

So basically you only bought the Giant Trance frame? Or you’ve since upgraded all the parts on your bikes?

There’s so many choices that I’m confused now as I read on. Where is Merida bikes made in? Are they considered the same league with the top tier bikes? Also did you get all your parts from Hiap Ho or you ship them in yourselfs by buying through online?

As for the fork, you would recommend Fox Shox one of the best ones in the market now? Also how would you rate between Maestro, VVP and FSR 4?[/quote]

Yup i just bought only Giant Trance frame, all parts mostly transfer from my old bike frame, same parts have been on multiple frame before landed on GIANT TRANCE. Some i get parts from Hiap Ho, other from WG Cycle Kuching, Singapore and the rest online.

As for fork go for FOX SHOX. Performance is out off heaven. When you hit the rock or big bump you won’t feel a thing. It is a money killer but one time purchase lifetime satisfaction guarantee. Just get ready budget for about $3,600 for a performance level fork from FOX SHOX.

For suspension:
MAESTRO = Good for cross country and high speed climbing. Rear suspension travel 4" - 6"
VVP = Good for Freeride and hit bigger bumps while stay seated going downhill. Rear suspension travel 5" - 7"
FSR type = Good all rounder cross country and freeride. Rear suspension travel 4" - 6"

Its best you try out and review each bike before you purchase. The best is you go to http://www.mtbr.com and see comments posted by the user.
I’ve been doing several month of research on GIANT TRANCE MAESTRO frame before i decided to buy one and now i have no regrets. Happy man in the world. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

© Copyright 2006-2018 MiriCommunity.net · A JacksonLiaw.com project.