Motherboard chipset

hi guys… just asking…

for a average motherboard… which type of chipset would u guys choose for a motherboard?

intel? Nvidia? Ati? SIS? VIA?

which type of chipset is better?

:slight_smile:

[quote=“young-fukui”]hi guys… just asking…

for a average motherboard… which type of chipset would u guys choose for a motherboard?

intel? Nvidia? Ati? SIS? VIA?

which type of chipset is better?

:)[/quote]

:smiley: Hi fukui,

If u mentioned ‘average’ then i would recommend VIA’s. Actually u may find most of the micro-atx boards are using VIA chipset.

As u know, ‘average’ board is meant to be cheap, we dont intend to pay more, yet we’re still very demanding on the performance. So, its very depends on ur needs & requirement.

Or maybe u may study this;

Intel= Meant for the most stable platform ever, usually built in bigger size compared to others yet costly.

Nvidia= Meant for performance of speed & overclocking, but u may need big bucks to assemble a full set performance pc.

Ati= Nowadays starting to catch up Nvidia since 2003(if not mistaken). I wouldnt say Nvidia is better bcoz it depends…

SIS= Err…No comment(I personally Wouldnt buy)

Via= To me this is the overall winner.

I would personally give SIS chipset a credit for an average system.

At one perspective, SIS chipset has less hassle to have the need to install driver for it. Most of the time Windows XP can live without the dedicated driver CD. More likely easier for entry to average user.

Another thing, from my personal experience, SIS chipset are less hotter compare to VIA. I’m not too sure about Nvidia but I guess these “shoulder-brothers” are way too hot (especially when with display integrated). Look at the size of their heat sinks…

Heat has direct relation to aid in electro-migration. If you want a board to last longer, go for SIS. I had plenty of SIS that had been staying alive for years and still continues on today. If you are not expecting a frame faster for your game, SIS definately a good choice.

Intel can be good at performance and stability but it does give me some bad experience. They died without a sign. For those who have been using Intel Boards, watch out for silent death.

BTW, if anyone want to sell SIS chipset (as old as skt A or 370) mobo, I’m interested.

fukui,

:smiley: You may read more from here if you’re uncertain about choosing a right mobo;

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/20/ … page5.html

honestly in my opinion, and by my personal experience, any motherboard chipset is fine if you are just looking for a motherboard for general pc usage like office work etc.

even if you are into gaming, any chipset will serve you just fine unless you’re going for a dual graphics setup (SLi/CrossFire) which may require you to use a motherboard that support those feature, particularly nVidia SLi or ATI crossfire based motherboards, or even Intel 975-based motherboard that supports SLi (licensed I assume).

for enthusiast, especially those who loves overclocking… nVidia or ATI based chipset motherboard is a must because these chips have more flexibility in their functionings as well as good support from motherboard makers. basically SiS or VIA sucks at overclocking, no matter how you look at it. Intel’s newer chipset is catching up in the enthusiast/overclockers market segment.

for your usage, really… any chipset will do as long as it meets your requirement (numbers of IDE, SATA, PCIe/AGP support… those kind of stuffs)

for normal use, i prefer intel, gaming then nvidia or ati lor and to save budget then use sis or via